What IT or non-IT professional certifications do you have?

Caporegime
Interesting thread. What would you guys recommend going for to help with general desktop support jobs? I've got work experience in said area but to help my argument for a salary raise etc etc. what should I be looking at?

There's a bunch of stuff on the Microsoft Virtual Academy site and the MCSA exams are around £100 a pop.

I'm confused as to what your ambition is though, if you already work desktop support then you need to look at qualifications that get you out of desktop support onto a junior admin type role. Studying for an MCSE is a reasonably large time investment and without relevant experience to back it up is not particularly useful unless you want to work for a service provider that needs to have a certain number of MS certs on the team for a partner status.

If you currently do desktop support is there room for you to move to a deployment role, dealing with WDS/SCCM etc?

Soldato
HND in Technical Bakery, Pasty and Confectionery.
Several City & Guilds to do with Bakery.

Also have a Fork lift license, and Psv license.

Caporegime
OP
Currently the Psv license, after being a Baker for 11years I had children and realised the lifestyle I had was not conducive to family life, I loved my Bakery job :(

That's a real shame... can you go back to it one day when the kids are older, maybe open a little shop? :)

Associate
I've just got my CEng (Chartered Engineer) accreditation

I don't have a degree so I had to take the experience and proving technical competence route.

Although this means nothing tangible as far as pay rises go etc I'm very pleased and proud to have achieved this considering my limited academic credentials (HND)

Soldato
It would help if people said what job they had. Are these qualifications mostly for support roles, or network engineering or something? Genuine question, as I don't know what most of these even are, and I've been a software developer for 8 years...
Project and Service Delivery Management consulting for me at the moment, and yes the qualifications I do support what I'm doing.

Soldato
Most of the professional IT courses are a waste of time I find. They have become a money generating exercise for the likes of Microsoft, Cisco etc. Also they only teach you how to set things up, never how to troubleshoot and fix things (which is what a tech spends most of their time doing).

I was forced to do ITIL (ugh) when I started my current job as an operations tech. But pretty much all my technical knowledge was acquired on the job by doing.

The actual useful courses are probably ones like ethical hacking, pen. testing, and data forensics related ones. Big demand for it too now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
So guys, any update for some of you after the 3 months?

I am still studying (not very hard, ahem) CRISC and then will take the exam in December. After that I think I am going to go for CISSP which will be a long and slow slog. :)

Associate
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+
CompTIA Security+
ITIL v3

All you need really for 1st & 2nd line or desktop support. Anything more is overkill and skills would be lost doing these roles. Unless you're doing it day in day out there's really no reason to grab a RHCSA or MCSE, yes it looks great on the CV and your colleagues (the ones who care) will be wowed but how much of that are you actually using? A fraction I bet. Some certifications are pretty crucial in making sure a candidate can perform however, CCNA for a junior networking role for example.

Back
Top Bottom