What Linux Operating Systems do you like?

Soldato
Any recommendations for a distro that'll play nice on a Surface Laptop Mk1? Only need a browser and One drive client

No but if you can boot from USB (presumably so) then most popular distros have a ‘live’ bootable version so you can see quickly what works and what doesn’t before you install. Not perfect but should give a good idea. Ubuntu or Fedora would be good choices if you’re new to GNU/Linux as they are quite accessible and have broad support.

Soldato
No but if you can boot from USB (presumably so) then most popular distros have a ‘live’ bootable version so you can see quickly what works and what doesn’t before you install. Not perfect but should give a good idea. Ubuntu or Fedora would be good choices if you’re new to GNU/Linux as they are quite accessible and have broad support.
Well, I've dabbled with Linux occasionally as long as its been around, and worked on *nix platforms a bit so not a total newb. Just want something simple and no faff. If it could retain the windows hello faceID login that would be ideal.

Associate
Well, I've dabbled with Linux occasionally as long as its been around, and worked on *nix platforms a bit so not a total newb. Just want something simple and no faff. If it could retain the windows hello faceID login that would be ideal.
Probably a mainstream one like ubuntu or Fedora... For faceid style login check out Howdy.

Associate
I'm all in on EndeavourOS right now although I've been tempted by Fedora as a more usable just works experience.

I've documented the fixes for the usual list of linux jank for EOS that came up when I wanted to do something a little funky (low latency audio, font fixes for running GTK stuff on KDE, wine for running VSTs etc.) The reason for looking at Fedora is that these things should have more mainstream support and if it doesn't it should have more people doing troubleshooting on forums. It's probably going to take EOS breaking somthing in a way that I can't fix before I think of moving though.

Associate
I'm all in on EndeavourOS right now although I've been tempted by Fedora as a more usable just works experience.

I've documented the fixes for the usual list of linux jank for EOS that came up when I wanted to do something a little funky (low latency audio, font fixes for running GTK stuff on KDE, wine for running VSTs etc.) The reason for looking at Fedora is that these things should have more mainstream support and if it doesn't it should have more people doing troubleshooting on forums. It's probably going to take EOS breaking somthing in a way that I can't fix before I think of moving though.
I tried EOS before I settled on Fedora. I just find it more stable.

Associate
Quick question, debian/windows on seperate HDD's on the same PC Gigabyte X360 1800X.
Main HDD sata 512Mb has Windows and the Debian install has 1TB of spinning rust.
What i would like to do is put a spare 512MB NVME drive on the motherboard and install Debian to that, do we think this is a good idea or not.
Second thought was just to buy a 2Tb sata 3 or something and slap that in for the new debian venture.
Thoughts please.

Edit: AX370 not X360

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick question, debian/windows on seperate HDD's on the same PC Gigabyte X360 1800X.
Main HDD sata 512Mb has Windows and the Debian install has 1TB of spinning rust.
What i would like to do is put a spare 512MB NVME drive on the motherboard and install Debian to that, do we think this is a good idea or not.
Second thought was just to buy a 2Tb sata 3 or something and slap that in for the new debian venture.
Thoughts please.

I assume you mean GB, if not then Debian needs more space than that to run. I'd always choose NVME or SSD over Spinning Disk if I'm running an OS on it.

Associate
Yeah sorry 512GB sata drive, I was just curious as to what would happen if I moved debian onto a spare 512GB NVME drive, could it cause a problem or not as I have never used MVME outside of a laptop. This Isn't my PC to break, and apparently he said VM performance was rubbish. Not sure why VM performance would be rubbish as he has windows 10 pro with 16GB 3200 ram and an 1800x also with a seperate 2TB HDD. For the moment I've shoved in another 1TB drive so he can just press F12 select boot device etc...
I mean what do all you programers do in this situation Windows/Linux ?

Soldato
I don't run Windows at all any more, but I have run both in the past. I have Debian as my main device, and I have GRUB which controls what I boot in to, so I can just select which OS I want to run into.

The only annoyance is if you install Windows sending then the Windows Boot Manager is generally primary and that just boots to Windows so you have to do it via the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom