What "man jobs" have you done today?

I continued with the rewiring last night. I got all the cables running to the sockets and switches, just need to get up to the ceiling light now.

I discovered a rotten floor joist which ill need to repair now.

Nope, nothing special when we moved in there was a concrete base at the back of the garden 20 x 10ft. Were tight on space indoors and a lot of stuff could live out there.

Plus, were expecting twins and we have a loft conversion going in early next year so the shed will be used to store toot. If we out grow it I will put a new concrete base in and have another one installed.

The size of the spiders in the shed I knocked down was a bit scary

Nope, nothing special when we moved in there was a concrete base at the back of the garden 20 x 10ft. Were tight on space indoors and a lot of stuff could live out there.

Plus, were expecting twins and we have a loft conversion going in early next year so the shed will be used to store toot. If we out grow it I will put a new concrete base in and have another one installed.

The size of the spiders in the shed I knocked down was a bit scary

They are like spiders on roids when you get looking aren't they?!

Someone a few houses up from me bough a glorified shed, with a few windows and door in it and put a big pool table or snooker table in it... Not a bad idea for a games room!

ah, 19mm T&G, two doors, 1 ft overhang and a few windows. Not to shabby at all, two lads installed in in about 3 hours, the concrete base was here when we moved in so that was a bonus.

Looks great. I think something that size would take over our entire garden :D

Got to wire in a new smoke detector in this weekend after my wife did a Phoebe and smashed the last one to bits when trying to silence it.

The people who owned this house before us can only be described as bodgers. Who the hell sticks a sign to a door with no more nails :mad:

'Tis a nice barn English, but sure it's no shed.

That's a really nice shed, about 10 by 24?
Are you going to use it as a workshop, office or something?

benhaha85.
My sister, that's who!
Which reminds me I've still got a couple of new smoke alarms to put up, I bought 8 (a mix of ionising and optical) to replace the existing ones when I realised that the old ones were 10+ years old (tested regularly, but I'd forgotten when they were bought and they didn't have any easily visible markings).
I'm putting them in every bedroom, the halls, and the dining room, hence 8, but still have 3 to fit as I'm decorating one room (very slowly) and haven't had the time to do the other two.
Possibly excessive but I'd rather be overly cautious especially when it only costs a few pounds a year.

benhaha85.
My sister, that's who!
Which reminds me I've still got a couple of new smoke alarms to put up, I bought 8 (a mix of ionising and optical) to replace the existing ones when I realised that the old ones were 10+ years old (tested regularly, but I'd forgotten when they were bought and they didn't have any easily visible markings).
I'm putting them in every bedroom, the halls, and the dining room, hence 8, but still have 3 to fit as I'm decorating one room (very slowly) and haven't had the time to do the other two.
Possibly excessive but I'd rather be overly cautious especially when it only costs a few pounds a year.

Yeah you can't be too cautious when it comes to smoke alarms. We've only got 1 in our house atm but I want to put a few more about. It's only a small 3 bed terrace so we shouldn't need that many. Going by my smoke alarm to house size calculation you must be living in a mansion :p

Nah not a mansion, just slightly paranoid and want/need every seconds warning in the event of the worst*, as one member of the family is disabled and has trouble with stairs (normally uses a stairlift).
I've specifically gone with alarms that have a backplate so if say one of the hall ones gets a dead battery I can swap it out overnight if needed.

We also normally close all the doors at night so potentially smoke could be trapped in one room before it reaches an alarm.

*Same sort of reason I have a fire extinguisher by the door in the garage, a window hammer/belt cutter in the car (where I can get it in theory even if the car is upside down), various torches around the house, and an old fashioned wired phone (in addition to the cordless sets).

Looks great. I think something that size would take over our entire garden :D

Lucky for us we have the biggest plot on the estate, which is ex council 1960's they certainly dont make them like they used to its around 120ft long
its not lost down there but if i needed another one it would work

'Tis a nice barn English, but sure it's no shed.

That's a really nice shed, about 10 by 24?
Are you going to use it as a workshop, office or something?

Sadly for nothing, just storage, were getting a loft conversion done in the new year and i need somewhere to stash all the stuff plus the house is small so were a bit tight on space anyway, this flexable storage will really help us out. not bad value for £1300 inc vat delivered + installed

Last edited:
Ah, I had visions of a bunch of men huddled round a workbench, pipes in hand discussing the merits of Whitworth vs BSF and Metric or a game of darts.;)

Slightly more seriously it's probably worth getting decent locks and possibly an alarm on the shed (and possibly some battery or solar PIR's for if you need to get anything out of it in the evening).

Your garden sounds a bit like ours, the people that built our estate (50/50 council/private) in the 70's apparently somehow forgot how many houses they had permission to build, our one ended up on a plot intended for 2 or 3 (it even has a couple of drain covers/pits that go nowhere), so we got about 80 by 30 foot of garden:)

We ended up making a 7x16 foot shed in the garage one winter as the first project after the garage was completely roofed and usable.

Oh and the shed song.

Back
Top Bottom