What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Panelling the kitchen walls today, started with the thicker stuff from Wickes but found it warped/ shrank quite a bit and had a lot of sap (even after acclimatising to the room). The thinner stuff I've got from B& Q seems like it's been dried properly.

I thought the tiles were on a wall too :D A very tall wall.

Soldato
lol I just looked at this again.. it's flooring!!! Sorry bud, weird camera angle and the design creates an optical illusion! Looking closer, it should be fine as long as you used a level. I looked at this type of design for my hallway last year.. it is expensive, but in the end decided it was too busy. Good luck though bud post the finished article.
Shall do, although it's not the grandest of locations :D I think it's quite busy too, but I'm just doing what I get given ;)

@Jez no need to run, although they are going on me :eek:

kai

kai

Soldato
During lock-down it occurred to me that we had a lot of wasted space to the side of the house. The plants look nice (out of shot) etc but its a big space underutilized. Its a good part of the entire width of the house - we do not use that has the majority of the sun on it all day.

Instead we use our patio area and this top end with artificial grass is completely wasted. The official "man job" starts next week. However, i have spent the morning 3D designing and measuring ready. My aim is to move the sleeper nearest the window and have it set 90'. We then have a space that will be perfect for a coffee, outdoor relax area as a separate part of the garden we can use when the bi-folds are open.

The deck will be 20 square meters so it will be a good size area. Ill look to lay composite decking that will be level with the grass. I am also looking to see if there is any building regs for having a pergola on the side of the house, near a neighbors fence.

wtHKTVi.jpg

1CTXDaq.jpg

Don
I had some scruffy old decking and heard lockdown will be eased for beer gardens

So I built one :)

82370186_10157213660576847_2870786724776467955_o.jpg

Soldato
More tiling, cleaned and sugar soap'd original tiles, scratched them up with a sanding disk, vacuumed, then laid a few. Twenty four hours later stuck solid so carrying on with the rest of the floor!

jeCuW3q.jpg

Associate
I converted a £9 Ikea Lack table into a TV stand for the bedroom with an integrated 'soundbar' made from some old speakers I had lying around.

Oh wow that kitchen looks amazing, and the bedroom, so clean, I love it.
You really don't notice how dirty of a place you live in till you see someone elses gaff, now excuse me, I need to find the hoover.

but seriously, kitchen goals right there.

Associate
Oh wow that kitchen looks amazing, and the bedroom, so clean, I love it.
You really don't notice how dirty of a place you live in till you see someone elses gaff, now excuse me, I need to find the hoover.

but seriously, kitchen goals right there.

Appreciate that, thank you :) Always try to keep on top of any mess and very lucky to have this place as well tbh.

Soldato
Doing a bathroom redo. Reduced the size of the pipe chase to allow fitment of new units (400mm pipe chase for a 150mm pipe. Really!!!). Removed plasterboard that tile adhesive was stuck too and replaced it as per plasterer request. Fitted new led spots.

Soldato
I've been putting off decorating the wood work on the rest of the downstairs of my house since laying wood flooring last year in my hall/lounge. House is about 8 years old but the wood work was looking very tired all over.

This is the only before pic I have although it was from the utility room and not the kitchen. It has clear mastic between tiles and skirting, a right pain to get off:

osLdSE6.jpg

Two external corners rounded off:
zWgDHFD.jpg
BwCNLgP.jpg

Door frame in to utility:
FCyMwsp.jpg

Door has been sanded, undercoated and now glossed (but only on the top side). I normally leave the door 24 hours before flipping it over (water based quick dry gloss) and painting the other side. Once the underside is touch dry in about 4-5 hours I hang the door back up so it can fully dry.
mhYgh5r.jpg

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Your painting skills look excellent there :) What do you use to mask the floor out of interest? I have probably 50m+ of skirting around hard floors to tackle at some point.

Annoyingly then i have loads to do which have carpet laid to them, i am still not sure what to do about that bar lifting it all.

Soldato
Thanks. I am a bit of a perfectionist so like to make sure it's spot on! I always find painting the doors laying flat with a roller always leaves a good finish too (brush for the detailed indents first though). Plus I hate it when people paint all over the hinges and door catches.

Most of the skirting in the kitchen/utility has a tiny gap under it so I was able to slide some 48mm diall masking tape under it (removed it before taking the pictures). Some of it did not have a gap under but I just butted the tape up against the skirting as best I could and it didn't get any paint on the tiles. Good thing about it being watered based gloss is it comes off with a damp cloth - I accidentally got a bit on my oiled wood flooring last year as I hadn't got enough paint sheets down when painting around the door frames ;)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Ah just basic masking tape then, i didnt know if you'd have a preferred posh brand which made life easier or something! Luckily i am clearly much less of a perfectionist than you, but i do need to get it all white again :p

Soldato
Haha. Yeah if it is just on tiles or wood floor then normal masking tape will do. I highly recommend the dulux quick dry water based gloss (and the same undercoat). It takes a little time getting used to as it dries very fast so you need to work quickly or avoid going over your painted areas as it leaves non pleasant appearance on the finish. I've been converted from always using oil based in the past. My hall way has no natural light and in 9 months still looks brilliant white. The oil based stuff would have gone yellow by now.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Oil based i cant go near these days, i will get some of the quick dry stuff next time to see how that goes if you recommend it...:) Oil is just too frustrating for me, i like instant results and oil ends up being a multi day smelly disruptive job as it just takes SO long to dry. Cant be bothered with that, even if it were better i wouldnt use it.

Soldato
I think oil is a lot better when applying it as you can work it for quite some time after you have applied (well, I mean like within 30 mins or so). With the water based stuff, after about literally 2-3 minutes, if you go back over your painted area its already semi dried and looks awful. I found the work around is to wet the area with paint again, so just put a bit more paint on your brush or roller. The good thing is, if you mess it up you can paint over it again later that day (unless you needed to sand it again).

I actually like the smell of the water based stuff. It only lasts about a day though and it's very very mild compared to that breath taking oil based stuff ;) The amount of times I've painted stair banisters with oil based then later that evening grabbed the hand rail and its still wet and messed up my paint work.

This is the stuff. I bought it in B&Q last year on a 'buy 2 get 1 free'.

Dulux quickdry undercoat
Dulux quickdry gloss

Back
Top Bottom