What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Not just today but built some fitted alcove cupboards from scratch after renovating our lounge (+ hallway!).

Need to touch up the walls now, things got a bit scuffed from getting stuff in.

lGgzptD.jpg

Associate
trimming the brambles along the back fence and chopped down two trees
C3-E60-ECB-D83-B-4-E5-F-BD8-A-A442-D667-EC5-A.jpg

Soldato
Made sure I was up and out to get this done this morning.

Our ducks are growing rapidly and drink so much water I've been looking for a more substantial watering solution ....

I got a camping water container

IMG-20210718-083656.jpg

Drilled some 8mm holes in it and cut a hand / arm size hole in the top

IMG-20210718-083703.jpg

That allowed me to thread the water dispensers in and tighten them up inside

IMG-20210718-083706.jpg

IMG-20210718-083712.jpg

Times 3

IMG-20210718-083941.jpg

Quick rinse and filled it up / popped it in the run

IMG-20210718-085717.jpg

And took the opportunity to give the ducks a morning shower :cry:

IMG-20210718-084334.jpg

Soldato
Then on the hottest day of the year so far I couldn't help but think of winter and making sure my log stores were in order ....

Both the large (main) store and intermediate (medium) stores were smattered with last year's timber from felling trees around the garden ....

IMG-20210718-125330-01.jpg

IMG-20210718-125316-01.jpg

Chop sawed the side branches to make a shed load of kindling (part way through)

IMG-20210718-133815-01.jpg

And took the handsaw to the trunks and bigger pieces

IMG-20210718-142003-01.jpg

And after (main store ready for this winters delivery of seasoned timber)

IMG-20210718-151151-01.jpg

And all last year's spoils, seasoning for next year's burn (tidy!)

IMG-20210718-151214-01.jpg

Man of Honour
Bought two lots of shelving for the garage, unsurprisingly Hermes have managed to lose one of them although I've just been notified they are bringing it later on today. I have the afternoon off so put up the first lot turning this:

IMG-3805.jpg

Into this:

IMG-3814.jpg

Once the other one is up there should be a lot more room for the Civic. I'm unsure if I should bother bolting them to the wall, the BMW OEM diff is in the blue box at the bottom and is far from light.

Frustrating that it's so hot outside although the garage with both doors open did offer some respite from the sun and there was a nice draft. I'm still drenched though!

Don
Trip to Ikea to make crafty room for wife, this getting an expensive hobby :(

Then back again yesterday

Looks good but I'd have gone for a wardrobe unit instead of three sets of drawers for storing some of the larger items. I'd remove that leg in the middle and put a baton on the back wall instead, I'd be kicking that pole every 30seconds sat at that desk.

Associate
As mentioned in the Fire/Stove/Wood thread, I received delivery of a crate of oak logs this morning. All ~800kg of logs manually picked up and stacked in the garage. Utilised the wooden crate they came in to build a couple of log stores and chopped the remaining wood from the crate into kindling :)

Soldato
When we moved here I had someone in to tidy the garden and put concrete posts and gravel boards in.
I then made some 5 bar fence panels as you can see behind outside loo.
That was 11 years ago and now I am in process of pressure washing and painting them.
surprisingly no rot at all so far.

6 in total so three to go -
I can tell you it's bloody hot out there
o3U1W9c.jpg

Caporegime
My washing line snapped last week so took the opportunity to wire brush and paint the two poles before sorting the line.

Unfortunately, my small brain can't work out how the line should be attached to the end I'll be using to lower and raise it. I've secured it around the cleat on the opposite end, run it through both pulleys but I'm sure the line looped back up to itself, just not sure how and what it attached to. It definitely wasn't just wrapped around the cleat :confused:

Soldato
My washing line snapped last week so took the opportunity to wire brush and paint the two poles before sorting the line.

Unfortunately, my small brain can't work out how the line should be attached to the end I'll be using to lower and raise it. I've secured it around the cleat on the opposite end, run it through both pulleys but I'm sure the line looped back up to itself, just not sure how and what it attached to. It definitely wasn't just wrapped around the cleat :confused:

Why have you got a horizontal line at the bottom, do you practice limboing? Should the cable come straight down and tie round the eyelet, with the other end going though the pulley at the top and round the cleat when not in use, or stetched out when in use.

Caporegime
Why have you got a horizontal line at the bottom, do you practice limboing? Should the cable come straight down and tie round the eyelet, with the other end going though the pulley at the top and round the cleat when not in use, or stetched out when in use.
Not sure if that's how it should be but it's been like that for 40 odd years. Just adds another line to hang smaller clothes on.

I think it looped back up to a ring that was attached to the top wire but don't know what sort and Google suggests it should only be a single line which is just secured around the cleat.

Soldato
Where's the best place to get fence materials from? Everything on B&Q has bad reviews. I need to do about 10m of fence that's been pulled down by ivy. Got a quote for £1500 but tbh I'd rather spend that on the M535i.

Soldato
Where's the best place to get fence materials from? Everything on B&Q has bad reviews. I need to do about 10m of fence that's been pulled down by ivy. Got a quote for £1500 but tbh I'd rather spend that on the M535i.

Local builders merchant or fencing supplier. The big DIY places are mostly crap.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Definitely your local wood yard, wherever your builder would buy his construction timber from. The big DIY sheds should always be avoided really unless you need a small emergency item, leave places like B&Q for when your wife needs a patio cushion:p

Back
Top Bottom