What "man jobs" have you done today?

Man of Honour
Maybe attach a small tile to the wall to isolated the heat from it. Also lol at the name of a device called firewall but gets mega hot. Does it not do the same as a firewall on your router? Oh and nicely run cables are very satisfying to see.
I was thinking of a small metal shelf so it would add to the heatsink. And no, a normal ISP router does not compare to what this thing can do. :)

Man of Honour
What does it do then? I'm intrigued as I've never heard firewall used in the sense of a stand alone box.
Router/firewall. It’s just a mini PC with Untangle installed on it. The PC has 4x 2.5 Gbps ports and a 4 core 11th zen Celeron. Have a look at YouTube for details about Untangle. This one is a bit old but gives you an idea:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just constantly watering the garden and keeping the garden feeders/water stations topped up. I’ve never seen them so busy. I’d hate to think what this weather has done to our wildlife.

Soldato
The locals are out with pitchforks if anyone dares to use a hose on their garden. I had some have a go at me last night, apparently I'm selfish and if there is a hosepipe ban here (at present there isn't) then it's all my fault.

In invited the busybody to job on and carried on watering the garden. If there's a hosepipe ban then I'll obey, but there isn't. Not yet anyway.

Associate
I think the idea is to never let it dry out, either keep spraying it regularly, or spray it to revive if it dried e.g. overnight. What I understood was it's safer because it's wet and traps the fibres. Depends on the ambient conditions apparently.

There was a webpage somewhere I read it, let me have a search!

Edit: Hmm can't find the one that basically said keep it wet or re-wet it later, but check the video at bottom of this page:

Basically, do everything you can to let the moisture soak into the surface.

Update, stuff is very good on the walls. Awful on the ceiling though. I had to use the wall paper steamer... in this heat :eek:

Soldato
I put up a small wall mounted network cabinet in a cupboard. As usual I threw the supplied fittings in the bin, in this case they were those terrible self drill things that I wouldn't trust to hold up picture let alone heavy network gear.

As it is a dot and dab wall I tried out the core fix heavy duty fittings which go into the thermalite blocks behind the plasterboard and have a metal spacer to bridge the gap between the plasterboard and the brick. They are expensive but easy to install and feel very sturdy.

Soldato
Just got back, last night, from two weeks away so gave the lawn a quick trim

IMG-20220814-115026-01.jpg

We've had people looking after the animals and greenhouse / garden and told them to help themselves to the garden / greenhouse produce and eggs but still had quite a harvest from the greenhouse

IMG-20220814-115906-01.jpg

IMG-20220814-115921-01.jpg

IMG-20220814-115904-01.jpg

Soldato
Ripped out a bathroom.

6OC28BSl.jpg QHFSP02l.jpg

These tiles had been dot & dabbed. This 1920's house has lime plaster which is still incredibly strong but was the weakest point. No idea what they used to mount these tiles with.

9KwgvYLl.jpg

Also removed the electric shower and capped it off too, resorting to a push-fit cap after having to cut the pipe with a 'school' hacksaw after the compression fitting spun and wouldn't hold a good enough seal.

Picked a perfectly hot day for it... :o

Soldato
Cleared out the side return and moved the plastic storage box and wood store elsewhere, bought an aluminium bistro set to go there as it's quite nice and cool there in the morning to have breakfast/ work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice. Must admit I've just sprinklered the garden and did stand under it for a bit :D
I let the kids have a water gun fight, they both ended up blasting me which wasn't too bad. We've been notified of a hosepipe ban on the 26th so I've ordered a big paddling pool now so I can fill it up in advance and try treating it to get a few weeks out if it, I'm thinking it'll be like a hot tub in reverse :cry: . We don't use much water anyway so I feel its justified, plus the kids shower rather than bath so we save loads. Regret not having a water butt anymore though.

Soldato
Changed the Sash Lock and Deadbolt on Front + Rear door. Annoyingly Screwfix + Toolstation have pretty poor listings for these on their website, so what was "meant" to be the same lock was critically not BS/insurance approved - so back to SF later to return that one. The shed/garage came wait -- it is a stable door and I will have a Squire pad lock arriving later.

A bit of fettling with the old chisels (which need an urgent sharpen) and both doors were done in an hour or so.

UPVC rear door cylinder comes later.

6mfr6ZW.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom