What movie franchise do you wish you enjoyed?

Soldato
Game of thrones, sick of hearing it talked about at work, I watched season one and it was just slow and boring.

Mrs just started it asked me to give it another go and I just said no.

Be glad when the show ends

Movie wise blade runner, the film was stunning visually but again I was bored turned it off after one hour

I'll be glad when it's over as well. At least there will be no more constant reminders about how great GoT is and that I should watch it. Was similar when Lost was one of the most talked about shows. I had zero interest in that either, but the same friend kept telling me how great it was I should watch it. I did actually give that a try and watched the first season. I didn't think much of it and didn't bother with any more of it.

It annoys me when I'm told over and over what I will like. Sure; recommend something, then leave it at that. I've recommended shows I really like to others. It's up to them if they go on and watch it. If not; I don't keep going on about it, telling them how great it is and they should watch it.

Soldato
I'll be glad when it's over as well. At least there will be no more constant reminders about how great GoT is and that I should watch it. Was similar when Lost was one of the most talked about shows. I had zero interest in that either, but the same friend kept telling me how great it was I should watch it. I did actually give that a try and watched the first season. I didn't think much of it and didn't bother with any more of it.
Man, 1st season of Lost was incredible! I watched it after catching 20 minutes, as it was broadcast, of Locke finding the bunker and was utterly intrigued. I got bored after S3 IIRC, and haven't watched the rest, but that 1st season...

I've not watched GoT either. Just signed up this week to NowTV as Mrs Cheesyboy wanted to watch it. Not sure if I'll bother, though. 8 seasons is a bit daunting. The hype puts me off too.

Caporegime
OP
Plenty of franchises I think are guff but I dont "wish I enjoyed them". :p

I guess what I mean is, when you hear empassioned fans making a convincing argument for how good something is, and wishing you could be that enthusiastic about it, but when you watch it, it does absolutely nothing for you.

I love Game of Thrones for instance. But that seems to be one in this thread that people really don't like.

Soldato
I guess what I mean is, when you hear empassioned fans making a convincing argument for how good something is, and wishing you could be that enthusiastic about it, but when you watch it, it does absolutely nothing for you.

I love Game of Thrones for instance. But that seems to be one in this thread that people really don't like.

GOT has also reached that place where it's cool/edgy not to like it.

Not to say those posting here are being anti-populist...but there are plenty of folks who won't watch now just because of how popular it is. I saw the same with Breaking Bad.

Permabanned

ah well then....:p

Official Guff List
Harry Potter
Fast and Furious
Jurassic park (Other than the first one)
Twilight
Big Bang Theory
Mamma mia
Pirates of the Carribean (Other than the first one)

Associate
Star Wars - I love the original films and with the exception of Rogue One (which is excellent). For the rest, The Phantom Menace and the latest films - I lost interest and not bothered with the latest.

Star Trek - Which went from:

To some guff about whales.

The whole Trekkie Universe, all the Pickard spin off's etc and modern remakes from what I have been told, are quite good. Just never grabbed.

Soldato
3D animated movies.

When the technology was new the ideas seemed to be fresh and for several years there were excellent films released by Pixar, Dreamworks and Blue Sky Studios.

But then Shrek 2 was released which I thought was rubbish. I also remember turning off Ratatouille half way through. The last one I enjoyed was Megamind nearly 10 years ago.

People do still seem to lap up these films so it's possibly my perception and tastes changed over the years.

Soldato
I wish I liked The Wire more. I see it recommended none stop in the "what TV show should i watch?" threads, and despite having the box set I've tried 3 times to make it to the end of season 1 and it still hasn't pulled me in (ep 11 I think is the furthest I got).

For movie stuff, I wish I got the MCU more. I really don't see them as all that great bar the first Avengers and Ant Man. I've been dragged along to different showings and never got the enthusiasm that everyone else seems to have. Guess I'm not that fun.

Soldato
I occasionally listen to a podcast called 'The rewatchables' where they go over an older movie with a fine tooth comb - best performance, most rewatchable scene etc

Anyway, I was listening to one about 'The fast and the furious' (which I liked) and then they recently did fast 5, which I thought was ridiculous but not really in an enjoyable way.

I fell asleep during fast 6, and didn't bother with 7 or 8.

The way they were talking about Fast 5 made me wish I liked the films, one of them thought it was the best action movie of the decade! I know it's just their opinion but it's just not a series that does anything for me really.

Anyone else have a franchise they wish they could enjoy like other people seem to? Marvel, Star Wars, Mission Impossible etc

Fast 5 was by far the best of the F&F franchise (or should i say least worst), part of the reason for this that this was meant as a sequel to the The Italian Job remake which fell through because the first movie didn't do bank, but the script was considered to be so good that it was reused for Fast 5. The first 4 movies looked like complete garbage and i have no interest in them but Fast 5 was good enough to make me come back for 6, which was ok but 7 and 8 got progressively bad again.

Soldato
3D animated movies.

When the technology was new the ideas seemed to be fresh and for several years there were excellent films released by Pixar, Dreamworks and Blue Sky Studios.

But then Shrek 2 was released which I thought was rubbish. I also remember turning off Ratatouille half way through. The last one I enjoyed was Megamind nearly 10 years ago.

People do still seem to lap up these films so it's possibly my perception and tastes changed over the years.

I'm not really bothered about animated films either. Last one I watched I think was The Incredibles. I probably enjoyed them around the same time you did, but now I really can't be bothered with them.

I'm older and most likely more miserable now. :p

Associate
I wish I liked The Wire more. I see it recommended none stop in the "what TV show should i watch?" threads, and despite having the box set I've tried 3 times to make it to the end of season 1 and it still hasn't pulled me in (ep 11 I think is the furthest I got).

Well there are only 13 so you nearly got there. It is a truly wonderful piece of TV though, although the final season isn't quite up to scratch. I get its not the easiest watch in terms of being a slow burner but it's well worth it, but horses for courses of course.

I'm older and most likely more miserable now. :p

So am I but the Shaun the Sheep movie was awesome, I was ******* myself at the cinema and I'm a depressing cynic :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom