What retro things have you done today?

Anyone know if a Compaq Deskpro 5133 (133MHz Pentium P54CS) would support an upgrade to a 200MHz Pentium?

I've looked online to no avail, perhaps unsurprisingly!

Its socket 7 and I know AMD, VIA and Intel all physically fit in the socket, but I assume that only Intel chips would work in it?

Anyone know if a Compaq Deskpro 5133 (133MHz Pentium P54CS) would support an upgrade to a 200MHz Pentium?

I've looked online to no avail, perhaps unsurprisingly!

Its socket 7 and I know AMD, VIA and Intel all physically fit in the socket, but I assume that only Intel chips would work in it?
In theory an AMD K5 would also work in it (I’d also assume a Cyrix would also).

As for the 200MMX, this thread on Vogons suggests it’ll work, but given the 2.8v chip will be running at 3.3v, I’d look to get a better heatsink if you are going to do it!

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36847

In theory an AMD K5 would also work in it (I’d also assume a Cyrix would also).

As for the 200MMX, this thread on Vogons suggests it’ll work, but given the 2.8v chip will be running at 3.3v, I’d look to get a better heatsink if you are going to do it!

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36847

I looked through that thread, I'm not sure it actually tells me anything. He just says that the 166mhz non MMX is the best one officially supported, and then towards the end of the thread starts talking about a different motherboard, and then it abruptly ended :(

Its a shame the pictures are dead too! Thread is only 7 or 8 years old. :o

I looked through that thread, I'm not sure it actually tells me anything. He just says that the 166mhz non MMX is the best one officially supported, and then towards the end of the thread starts talking about a different motherboard, and then it abruptly ended :(

Its a shame the pictures are dead too! Thread is only 7 or 8 years old. :o
Try the web.archive.org copy, shows a 200mhz cpu booting:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140420064534/https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36847

New case time! I saw this new in box Inwin case and I couldn't pass it up. Its a S Series S508. Unfortunately it arrived damaged. It must have taken a knock in shipping as the plastic tabs the hold the front facia to the case had snapped off. Fortunately the seller was reasonable and we came to a partial refund arrangement. I was able to glue the clips back on with some bonding glue and its fine now. My ISA based P4 build is going in this. It came with a Inwin 350Watt psu. Will give it the once over but it seems a decent unit, 120mm fan, -5V rail.

8J8zc6sl.jpg

I had a play with my 900 Mhz, 64 MB RAM Cappachino mini PC. The station on the right hand side is the floppy drive, cd drive and some peripheral ports.

The track pad doesn't seem to work, but all else seems fine with it.

PXL-20210306-084840958.jpg

Created a USB spinner box for use with my Mame arcade cab.

Spinner.jpg

I don't want to create a 'frankenpanel' out of my arcade cab, so I created this spinner box which I can rest on the panel and use to play spinner games like Tempest.

The spinner is a GRS button hole spinner which fits in a normal sized button hole. The button is for games like Tron as I don't have a stick with a trigger or top fire button. For most games I use the buttons on the cab. Unfortunately Tron is the only game I can't get it working with. It works amazingly well with Tempest and Arkanoid.

I'm picking up a retro case today hopefully, I have had my old P4 computer in bits in a box for years and years, I figured I would build that inside it.

Only issue is, the case is M-ATX and my motherboard is ATX, however my network port is also dead, so I suppose now would be a good time to replace the board with a socket 478 M-ATX one.

My CPU is a Northwood, 2.8GHz. 2x1GB 400MHz DDR.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any free/ware DOS based disk imaging?
When I set up my main win98 pc I thought I had used a 2gb CF but actually I used a 1gb. Even tho I mostly store games on a 40gb hdd its starting to become an issue.

I really dont want to do a new install as I have all the drivers etc set up just right!

Back
Top Bottom