What retro things have you done today?

For older hardware, absolutely. On-board sound on older motherboards tends to be quite noisy (often can even hear interference when the mouse is moved around). Also older cards had hardware acceleration, while onboard sound could take 10% of CPU time.
100% even today. My new Ryzen 5800X build i had onboard sound, swapped it for an external Soundblaster G6 after a week or 2 as was used to an Xonar essense ST.

Soundblaster 16 emulation sounds garbage in DOS. I remember it sounding a lot better so the reason ive paid for a Soundblaster 16 full size card

Seems I chucked out my PSU some time ago... No idea why... :(

I have a friend who has some old PSU's, so I'm sorted for *a* PSU, but if anyone has an EZ Cool ATX-400 JSP, let me know if you'd part with it, its the same one I used to have. :p

Also need a socket 478 stock cooler, shiny silver label preferred, but obviously not bothered if its the blue label :)

Cut out a CPU sized square in a block of polystyrene! :D

Haha I love that... :D

Picked up my shiny new-old case from rare, who lives up the road. Unbeknownst to me it is made by a company called Acme... :p

BgKhRn4.jpg

YEHsjKd.jpg

I will probably have to replace the gel badge though because it will have my old P4 PC built inside it, and the fact it has an AMD badge will bother me haha

Also I didn't even realise theres a whole subforum now... I thought this was *the* retro thread like it used to be. :p

Last edited:
I like the look of those cases and they're not particularly expensive. I really should get one before they disappear from eBay one day!

This guy should have a badge you want!

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/doodle-bug24
Its surprisingly weighty too, not like the cheap flimsy thing I was expecting. It seems solidly built!

Thanks for the link. I found those earlier funnily enough! But I guess this means you've used him before, and I expect thats where this AMD badge came from too. :)

Picked up my shiny new-old case from rare, who lives up the road. Unbeknownst to me it is made by a company called Acme... :p

BgKhRn4.jpg

YEHsjKd.jpg

I will probably have to replace the gel badge though because it will have my old P4 PC built inside it, and the fact it has an AMD badge will bother me haha

Also I didn't even realise theres a whole subforum now... I thought this was *the* retro thread like it used to be. :p

It was obviously destined to end up with you mate haha!

Nice! haha

Another item on my shopping list... Zeppelin DDR 400MHz, the yellow stuff... I have one stick, need one to match.

e; Oh sod it I'll keep running mismatched sticks like I did back in the day... :p

Last edited:
I like the look of those cases and they're not particularly expensive. I really should get one before they disappear from eBay one day!

This guy should have a badge you want!

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/doodle-bug24
He is stopping making those so grab them while you can!

I did a buy this weekend. Paid twice what you did but I still think its an OK deal :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ive waited until its confirmed as posted before sharing it this time! :P

He is stopping making those so grab them while you can!

I did a buy this weekend. Paid twice what you did but I still think its an OK deal :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-creative-sound-blaster/402732805941?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ive waited until its confirmed as posted before sharing it this time! :p

Nice, I hope you'll Mess around with CMS chips as they're about £8.

I have already bought one of those cases and put my Tiny tiny PC case on eBay! It seems eBay is not happy about having "nearly new" in titles for used items :(

Nice, I hope you'll Mess around with CMS chips as they're about £8.

I have already bought one of those cases and put my Tiny tiny PC case on eBay! It seems eBay is not happy about having "nearly new" in titles for used items :(
Do you mean THE tiny branded case? That was the actual case of my 2nd PC.

Just found your listing. Dont think I have anything that would fit in it and be period correct :(

My ACME case arrived in about 12 hours which is great, especially as I have a day off today!

I didn't quite realise how small it was going to be. With my SFX PSU and my shortest optical drive I have approximately no room left. I have been trying to get a small M-ATX case for ages (compatible with both modern and old builds) and to be honest this is probably as good as I will get considering it has a couple of fan mounts.

oFEnQpCh.jpg

Not sure what I actually want to build in it. It only really suits 98 builds as it doesn't have any AT mounts and it's a bit... beige for XP builds.

@LewisRaz the 386 board arrived this morning, thanks! Other than the right mess of a soldering job on the resistors, what info have you got on the board?

I'm going to give this board it's last shot at working!
Hey! I couldn’t get them back on the front so they had to go like that :P.
The only help I can give is the main chipset IC has/had broken legs and if you put force on it post codes would start coming up!

@paradigm I hope there's no trading going on outside of the MM and this was simply a freebie given to you?

it was an unsolicited parcel :)

Back
Top Bottom