What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Now, please tell me honestly.

Should I start phase 2 of reducing my retro collection.

I love everything I have. For example, I set my Dreamcast up but realistically played it for less than 30 minutes in the month.

That's been packed away and the PS1 and light gun has made an appearance.

On the PC side, I always swear by my Dell Pentium 90 MHz but the Pentium 200 MMX I have set up is the better machine.

And then I don't want to give this stuff away but are people going to pay a fair amount or want a bargain?

And what the heck happened here?? What have I missed with this collection?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154614756009#vi__app-cvip-panel

Caporegime

Should I start phase 2 of reducing my retro collection

I’ve been debating the same question, and I think the answer for me lies with “what won’t I be able to replace/replace for sensible money?”

If it’s not rare or notably appreciating then I’ll hang onto it, even moreso if it took me a while to source or I’ve had since new.

If I can reasonably replace it if/when I feel like playing with <insert item here> again, then it can go

Soldato

I love everything I have. For example, I set my Dreamcast up but realistically played it for less than 30 minutes in the month.

On the PC side, I always swear by my Dell Pentium 90 MHz but the Pentium 200 MMX I have set up is the better machine.

And then I don't want to give this stuff away but are people going to pay a fair amount or want a bargain?

Most want a bargain... But if you are patient you can get a good price. My SB2.0 took a while but did eventually sell for £150(To the USA too..)

From what I have noticed it seems there is less being listed lately and prices are going up again.

Soldato
:p I consider all my retro hardware bits amazingly irreplaceable.

Everything from my SoundBlaster Exitgy, my Voodoo 3 Pentium 3 setup, my Iomega Zip drive, my dot matrix printers etc etc.

I've shown self-control lately and haven't bought anything. I've given up on car boot sales and gumtree as I literally haven't got the room for any more kit.

At the South-West-Amiga-Group meet, I went all minimal with my setup. If you take too much, then your time is spent on setup, takedown and general fretting. If you take 'the right amount', then you can leave it be and chat with and touch other people's stuff.

My dream was to hire our local village hall and present the 'best of' !bluetonic!'s retro hardware in a 'retro computing weekend'.

If I was going 'all in', I would sell it all as a lot and just be done with it. Then hopefully, the good stuff pushes the price of the mediocre stuff up.

I admire Neil / RMC. I've met him, he's a lovely person and what he's done with his YouTube channel and his 'cave' is awesome.

BUT, I wouldn't want geeky strangers touching my stuff. Most folk are okay, but when I was doing my flight simming events, it's the nerds that want to 'crash your plane' that I can't stand. :o

Associate
Unless space or money are an issue, I would hold on to all the parts I have. Prices will only go up and getting good deals will become more difficult. I've been buying retro parts for a few years now and it's crazy how expensive parts have become. You will only regret if you sell them, not if you keep them :D
I wasn't aware of RMC channel, I will watch some videos after work.
As a curiosity, what would you do if you would have a looot of computer parts, enough to open a museum with multiple rooms? Would you rent a space and invest money in the hopes you will get enough visitors to pay the rent?

Associate
I'm in the process of photo'ing my stuff to sell. Too much stuff sitting in boxes doing nothing stressing me out. I will keep the absolute key parts and a few machines but the rest is going up for sale.

Soldato
Quite a few bits of mine I regret selling. But at the time it was needed to be done.

Now I try to focus more on what I need for current project or upgrades for existing parts... And of course absolute steals that would get looked at then moved on.

Associate
I've been scouring eBay to update my P3 rig to the following

CPU - Intel Pentium III-S 1400MHz Tualatin 512Kb 133fsb
Motherboard - Asus TUSL2-C Socket 370
RAM - 512Mb SDRAM PC133 (CAS 2)
GPU - 64Mb Voodoo 5 5500 AGP - BIOS 1.18
Soundcard - Aureal Vortex 2
HDD's - 120GB Crucial SSD

VXu2VvZ.jpg

I've also replaced the fans on my 3dfx Voodoo 5 for some Noctua ones as the original ones were super rattily.

be1LGtZ.jpg

Chris

Soldato
I wasn't aware of RMC channel, I will watch some videos after work.

Sorry. You will write off the next few weeks trying to watch all his stuff. :p

As a curiosity, what would you do if you would have a looot of computer parts, enough to open a museum with multiple rooms? Would you rent a space and invest money in the hopes you will get enough visitors to pay the rent?

The hobby must come first and paid for out of your own pocket. If you can make money on top, then that's good. Neil has had money from sponsors, his channel and his recent 'kickstarter' colouring book to cover his overheads. I know a fair proportion of the kit has been donations from his subscribers.

I technically have the space and fortuantally don't need the money. Would I regret selling it? Sort of.

Soldato
@Chris Looking good. Very neat.

This morning was funny. I powered up my P200 MMX to play Mad Dog Mcree and the mouse wasn't working in Windows..:mad:

Just typical. In the end I sourced another serial / 9 pin mouse and this didn't work. After some retro-faff, it eventually started working. Good job I wasn't selling this unit or show casing this PC in 'perfect' condition.

PXL-20210925-123202558.jpg

Soldato

VXu2VvZ.jpg

I've also replaced the fans on my 3dfx Voodoo 5 for some Noctua ones as the original ones were super rattily.

be1LGtZ.jpg

Chris
I love all of the shiny components and then the floating SSD :p

Soldato

I am currently most of the way through Phase 2 of selling stuff. I've kept the basics which for me is a slot 1 board and that's pretty much it (for retro hardware). I don't regret it and enjoy having a much neater cupboard, not to mention the extra cash. The hardest bit is the stacks of small capacity DDR1 and the slower of the Mx cards which no one wants.

Yeah I get urge to go on eBay and buy more stuff, and no doubt I will eventually and I'm happy with that, but it is quite nice having a "clean slate". It was very freeing tbh knowing now that I have one retro set up and it is either set up or it is not, no trying to optimise builds for different gaming moods or juggle monitor inputs etc.

I have a similar experience with my Dreamcast, I could sell the bundle for decent cash and I rarely use it. But I can't bring myself to do it, but at the same time I've kept all the Selling Pictures on my photos drive ready. Anyway it's packed up in a box the size of 1 1/2 shoe boxes in storage until next time.

I priced my items pretty average (I feel), some things have sold relatively quickly some more slowly.

Associate

VXu2VvZ.jpg

be1LGtZ.jpg

Chris
This is like the ultimate setup for a Voodoo 5500. Very nice!
I am currently most of the way through Phase 2 of selling stuff. I've kept the basics which for me is a slot 1 board and that's pretty much it (for retro hardware). I don't regret it and enjoy having a much neater cupboard, not to mention the extra cash. The hardest bit is the stacks of small capacity DDR1 and the slower of the Mx cards which no one wants.

Yeah I get urge to go on eBay and buy more stuff, and no doubt I will eventually and I'm happy with that, but it is quite nice having a "clean slate". It was very freeing tbh knowing now that I have one retro set up and it is either set up or it is not, no trying to optimise builds for different gaming moods or juggle monitor inputs etc.

I have a similar experience with my Dreamcast, I could sell the bundle for decent cash and I rarely use it. But I can't bring myself to do it, but at the same time I've kept all the Selling Pictures on my photos drive ready. Anyway it's packed up in a box the size of 1 1/2 shoe boxes in storage until next time.

I priced my items pretty average (I feel), some things have sold relatively quickly some more slowly.
My wife is on the brink of leaving me, I got too much stuff, but in the same time I don't feel like selling anything, I know I will regret it. But in the same time you're right, once I sort out all the stuff I recently bought, it's a nice feeling having a tidy place. I'll have to move soon with work further down south to Swindon. Once I'm settled in I will start selling the stuff I don't need.

With the new releases of remastered games, like Diablo II the most recent, I don't feel like playing old games that much. I'm in love with Seven Kingdoms II and it's so much better playing it on modern computer on a higher resolution than legacy version.

Caporegime
Decent price, £45-50 seems to be the going rate. Fingers crossed for you! I’ve got a dead one here that I’m pretty sure is dry solder joints on the FBI and TMU, but ai got it in a bundle with other cards that had value so it was essentially free anyway.

Associate
@manisses wow. I hope things work out for you.

Don't bring your stuff to Swindon. :p I'll be buying it off you. :o
We made a deal, that once we move to Swindon I will start selling from what I got to reduce the lot to 1 storage box (she didn't specified what size haha) at max and that if I get a good deal and buy something it will be only to sell it back to make a profit.

Decent price, £45-50 seems to be the going rate. Fingers crossed for you! I’ve got a dead one here that I’m pretty sure is dry solder joints on the FBI and TMU, but ai got it in a bundle with other cards that had value so it was essentially free anyway.
I got a Voodoo 2 that allows me to install the driver but crashes in games. At a close look I found a few of those tiny capacitors missing. My soldering skills are non to zero, so I won't be trying too soon to fix it. It's a bummer as it's a 12 mb version and I got another one. It would have been nice for both to work for an original SLI.

Back
Top Bottom