What retro things have you done today?

The 850 Slot 1 CPU arrived and I need to decide if I'm brave enough to take the cooler off to swap on my good one (probably not)

I also bought a 7870 2GB from CEX for £35 or so for my XP/7 builds as my 780 is no more. It's actually quite a nice looking "XFX Ghost" model.

Desperately watching the tracking on my RG353V handheld as it moves slowly towards me. Its landed in the UK today. Come on Yodel get a shift on.
Whats to bet it gets stuck in Customs.

Shipped early too pre-orders were not meant to go till 10th mine went on 5th.

Desperately watching the tracking on my RG353V handheld as it moves slowly towards me. Its landed in the UK today. Come on Yodel get a shift on.
Whats to bet it gets stuck in Customs.

Shipped early too pre-orders were not meant to go till 10th mine went on 5th.
I really fancy one of those, report back when you get it please :)

Won an intel overdrive SZ959 (5V DX4 100) finally for a good price. Hopefully it arrives safe and will work in my dell!
I was watching that auction to see for how much it will sell, as I got the overdrive 486 with the box and I was thinking about selling it as auction. It sold surprisingly low, I thought it will go for a lot more. Nice purchase!!

Interestingly my keyboard has stopped working on the w98 PC. The pc sees the dongle because it will boot into windows without saying "No keyboard press F1 to continue" but the keyboard can't see the dongle for some reason, it's wireless logo flashes. It doesn't work during post, DOS or in Windows:s

Usually I would use ps/2 anyway but I'm limited to one desk so I need to figure out what's going on.

I was watching that auction to see for how much it will sell, as I got the overdrive 486 with the box and I was thinking about selling it as auction. It sold surprisingly low, I thought it will go for a lot more. Nice purchase!!
It did go higher early on but someone cancelled a bid. I was watching it near the end and upped my max expecting some late sillyness but nobody else came after it!
Still not had any notification that its been posted tho..

It did go higher early on but someone cancelled a bid. I was watching it near the end and upped my max expecting some late sillyness but nobody else came after it!
Still not had any notification that its been posted tho..
At least you a good deal. If the seller knows what they had, they will be disappointed about the price, but you're trying your luck with the auctions, seller or buyer so...

I gave up with having one desk for work, modern and retro gaming and have now converted the dressing table into a retro station. I don't have any speakers but thankfully my 5:4 monitor has sound input and crap speakers, and also a headphone out. I've still got both soundcards set up so they're both going into the monitor.

Probably not what the first user of the dressing table has in mind...
PXL-20221014-185729796.jpg

I bought an XP PC for £15 from Facebook. A basic foxconn G31 board with a Pentium D 925, a 9500GT, a generic power supply and 2GB of RAM. I've swapped a random C2D in it (I think a 7500) and cleaned it out but otherwise left it as it is. The case is actually alright for a 15 year old cheapo naff case.

PXL-20221016-113230325.jpg

It will be good for the random collection of games I've got that don't run great on the 800MHz P3.

I bought an XP PC for £15 from Facebook. A basic foxconn G31 board with a Pentium D 925, a 9500GT, a generic power supply and 2GB of RAM. I've swapped a random C2D in it (I think a 7500) and cleaned it out but otherwise left it as it is. The case is actually alright for a 15 year old cheapo naff case.

It will be good for the random collection of games I've got that don't run great on the 800MHz P3.
Nice little machine that and a good price too!
Decided to put my socket7 build back to 166MMX and sell it, that went well.
Then I wanted to put the k6-2 into my ATX socket 7 system and play on that instead. Unfortunately the motherboard seems to have given up. Was completely ignoring the power button and just turning itself on and also showing a really odd garbled post screen which was almost like 1/4 resolution of the standard post screen.

Was playing around seeing what I can do on the Dell with the new cpu that could not be done before. Had a go at theme hospital. In all the years I have never really bothered with the DOS version but discovered it natively supports ESS for sound as well as the ESS extended FM too. First game I have played and heard it. Certainly sounds a level up from standard OPL3 to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom