What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
I've got the Sims game somewhere but I never really played it much. GTA is a good one.

I've been searching for space games I can play using my joystick, Wing Commander and Space Invaders are really the only ones I enjoy that I can think of. I bought a new/old Quick Shot stick, I actually have two of them now but this one is in mint condition in its box and it only cost 4 quid.

I'm really getting into my space games at the moment.
Descent
Tie Fighter

Associate
I'm having a lot of luck with finding various pieces of software , I found crocodile clips which is excellent for building and designing electronic circuits and I found a version of BBC Basic for DOS. I can start writing some games now in Basic like in the old days but in DOS. :)

This program holds a lot of nostalgia for me, I used to spend ages on this when I was at school. I never thought I would find it again...

UetqlyI.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing!

I don’t know where to start with it all.

Collected a lot a few years back and it’s just sitting in the loft.

Testing it all makes sense, but I done that when I got it.

I kinda want a system from all big jumps… 486, pentium, pII, but I know I’ll never really use it.

I’m torn.

Associate
I'm having a headache trying to install the USB mass storage device driver in Windows 95... I followed the youtube video and did exactly the same thing but my computer keeps asking for the disk, its there its in the drive I've also saved the same files on drive c: but it won't locate them. :mad:

I'm trying to install a sound card but I don't want to keep wasting CD-R's

I might have to see if I can slave a CF card from the IDE cable without messing up the configuration/hope that the PC see's all drives.

Don
I'm having a headache trying to install the USB mass storage device driver in Windows 95... I followed the youtube video and did exactly the same thing but my computer keeps asking for the disk, its there its in the drive I've also saved the same files on drive c: but it won't locate them. :mad:

I'm trying to install a sound card but I don't want to keep wasting CD-R's

I might have to see if I can slave a CF card from the IDE cable without messing up the configuration/hope that the PC see's all drives.
Are using osr2.1 or osr2.5? If not then I thing you'll struggle to get usb working

Associate
Are using osr2.1 or osr2.5? If not then I thing you'll struggle to get usb working
I'll check the version, I'm pretty sure its the latest but if not I'll upgrade to OSR2.5 I used an original Windows 95 install CD the one with USB Support. I installed the USB driver for the USB ports tho.

Edit: I was running Windows 95B I've just reinstalled Windows 95 OSR2.5

Last edited:
Associate
Re-visited my VIA C3 system, as I'd neglected it a bit and it was missing some parts I'd pulled out. I still think its the perfect Windows 98/Dos system IMHO. I put it all back together and tidied all the cables. I managed to find the original SSD that was in this system with all the partitions and it was still intact. The KingDian Drive was the incorrect one. Fired up some Heretic. This system has a Yamaha Waveforce 192XG PCI card which is linked up using SB-Link, which means DOS sees it pretty much as an ISA card. This card is the 'D' Version, so has SPDIF/Optical out so has clean OPL FM sound coming out. Sounds Great.

2JA5fXOh.jpg

OvAqNpZh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Its even worse I can't even install the USB supplement now. Damn Windows 95.

I will have to do a CF card mod to the front because I can not find an IDE cable long enough to plug into the card reader at the back and it will be more handy with it being at the front.

I think I will have to give up on it. I can't slave a CF card from this machine. It wont boot with a CF card plugged in . This machine has taken up way to much of my time now. I will just have to waste blank CD's trying drivers out. One last thing is buying a GoTek.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll check the version, I'm pretty sure its the latest but if not I'll upgrade to OSR2.5 I used an original Windows 95 install CD the one with USB Support. I installed the USB driver for the USB ports tho.

Edit: I was running Windows 95B I've just reinstalled Windows 95 OSR2.5
It does the same thing as before and its driving me insane literally. It keeps asking for Windows 95 CD I insert it and it still asking me to insert it... wtf does it want... the driver files are there on a floppy in drive A: and I've saved a copy of them on the desktop and the Windows 95 CD is in drive D: It doesn't do this in the youtube tutorial. I guess some computers are determined to want to go out of the window.

How the hell did people install drivers that didn't come in a setup.exe file back in the day... its useless

Last edited:
Soldato
How the hell did people install drivers that didn't come in a setup.exe file back in the day... its useless
From long distant memory I think I used to view the device in the device manager and I'm sure there was an install or change driver option, then you locate the .inf file or whatever it was.

As I post this I am using a really crappy Composite to USB adaptor that is very buggy with some free video capture software to record all my late grandma's VHS-C tapes to my PC. Most of them are of me and my siblings as small children.
There is one of my opening my Sega Mega drive Christmas 1994 <3.
It is taking an absolute age to copy them all over, including finding software that even works.
I am using a free trial of Movavi Video Editor and blasting through the tapes before the 7 day trial expires!
Even in my 30s I am mesmerised at the VHS-C adaptor cassette that turns the camcorder tapes into full sized ones!

Last edited:
Soldato
I
As I post this I am using a really crappy Composite to USB adaptor that is very buggy with some free video capture software to record all my late grandma's VHS-C tapes to my PC. Most of them are of me and my siblings as small children.
It is taking an absolute age to copy them all over, including finding software that even works.
I am using a free trial of Movavi Video Editor and blasting through the tapes before the 7 day trial expires!
Even in my 30s I am mesmerised at the VHS-C adaptor cassette that turns the camcorder tapes into full sized ones!
If you need more time with the software, uninstall Movavi Video Editor, go into the registry, search and delete anything to do with Movavi Video Editor, then reinstall for another 7 days.

Soldato
Re-visited my VIA C3 system, as I'd neglected it a bit and it was missing some parts I'd pulled out. I still think its the perfect Windows 98/Dos system IMHO.
Sometimes I regret selling my weird C3 system with a soldered Samuel C3 CPU if I’m remembering that right. I don’t think it had AGP but I used my PCI voodoo 3 back then which was a good speed match. Setmul worked great for slower DOS games.

Soldato

I've been doing pretty much the same thing recently. I bought the "Elgato Video Capture" USB 2.0 device for 80 quid yes it is called that generic sounding name. It comes with drivers for Windows and its own software which was really easy to use but I then also had a sniff around the free OBS software instead and this works great with this capture device. One thing OBS does is it allows you to capture at 50hz and deinterlace the video, which is what all my dads miniDV videos are recorded in. With the default software all the captures were at 25hz and I could tell the frame rate was half what it was if they were played on the camcorder, so OBS basically went beyond what the default software is allowed to do with the hardware, and shows the hardware itself is capable of more.

In summary, give the OBS software a go and see if it can get the most out of your capture device. OBS can also use your gpu to hardware encode on the fly, so you don't end up with massive files you have to compress later.

BTW, the only reason I bought the Elgato was that I know I have one of those really cheap USB capture devices around here somewhere, but I can't find it for the life of me, so went and got the Elgato. But I can tell you the quality is quite a lot better than with the cheap one from when I used it before. Though it would have been nice if I could have tried it with OBS as well, to see if it made the best of it.

Edit: Plus if you do edit to do any editing as well then Kdenlive or Da Vinci Reslove are free. You may even be able to capture directly with these same as OBS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Re-visited my VIA C3 system, as I'd neglected it a bit and it was missing some parts I'd pulled out. I still think its the perfect Windows 98/Dos system IMHO. I put it all back together and tidied all the cables. I managed to find the original SSD that was in this system with all the partitions and it was still intact. The KingDian Drive was the incorrect one. Fired up some Heretic. This system has a Yamaha Waveforce 192XG PCI card which is linked up using SB-Link, which means DOS sees it pretty much as an ISA card. This card is the 'D' Version, so has SPDIF/Optical out so has clean OPL FM sound coming out. Sounds Great.

2JA5fXOh.jpg

OvAqNpZh.jpg
This is pretty much the ultimate retro PC :)

Associate
From long distant memory I think I used to view the device in the device manager and I'm sure there was an install or change driver option, then you locate the .inf file or whatever it was.
It would be Update Driver but when I click on it, it asks me to insert Windows 95 CD, when I insert the CD and click OK it still asks for it.

The USB ports are installed, I was missing some chipset drivers that wasn't showing in device manager but after installing the VIA chipset drivers, the USB ports got installed as well.

Its the mass storage device drivers I'm having issues with. I can not get the mass storage device driver installed no matter what I try.

I'm going to try out the unofficial service pack.

Last edited:
Associate
I will have to give up.

I've tried 3 different sound cards in the DOS/WIN95 machine and each time I can not install sound drivers. I've also tried to install the onboard sound trying 7 different drivers from VIA and they all error out. This machine is cursed.

Can not get USB MASS storage device driver installed neither so I've had to waste blank CD's trying out sound card drivers.

I will have to wait until another sound blaster card shows up on ebay that includes the Driver CD. I will give up after that and tear out the motherboard and chuck it in the bin if I still can't have audio on this machine.

Back
Top Bottom