What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Its this one... I really like this case so I wouldn't want to change it.

wfFYAvn.jpeg
Ahh yeah, that is a really compact case. lack of air flow is going to be the limiting factor with what CPU you can use.

Associate
Finally got around to trying my ZIP drive again last night. Found an old PC with PATA HD (Pentium 4 running XP Home) and it does indeed work. Sadly about 20% of the disks I had are no longer readable but I don't think they had anything on I will miss (directories were readable). I did have some 250MB disks, but the drive was only a 100MB one, so no idea on those.

Also found two 230MB 2.5" MO Discs. No idea what's on them. Don't even remember having a drive!

Associate
I've been looking for a zip drive but I can not find one for a justifiable price at the moment.

I'm just seeing if Driver Parallel Lines will run under Windows 98. Its taking ages to install but we'll see...

BAsxr4U.jpeg

Associate
Tested this monitor out this evening. I'd stored this in the summer house for ages and spotted it today while I was looking for something. The summer house got quite damp over the winter, so I was wasn't sure if this was going to be damaged or something. I bought it in and let it acclimatise to the temp in the house. After an hour or so, I fired it up and it still works and still has a fantastic picture. Its not anyway a top end monitor but I feel it pairs nicely with the 233mmx.

Will try and get it in the loft as its dry up there.

tyvm0gdh.jpg

v6qETdYh.jpg

xK1dkkKh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Set up XP on my old Dell XPS 1530, came with Vista originally.

Picked up a new battery on eBay, more ram and replaced the old hdd with a ssd which obviously made a huge difference.
I had an xps like that recently - core 2 duo, an SSD, 4GB DDR2 and an nvidia 8600GT. Downgraded to XP. It was surprisingly slow with my 2018 Pentium Silver netbook being faster in 2007 games. I didn’t really like it

Don
I had an xps like that recently - core 2 duo, an SSD, 4GB DDR2 and an nvidia 8600GT. Downgraded to XP. It was surprisingly slow with my 2018 Pentium Silver netbook being faster in 2007 games. I didn’t really like it

Not surprising when a Pentium Silver N5000 has faster single thread performance than all but the last/fastest desktop Core 2 models, and runs rings around the laptop models. All while only consuming 6W!

Associate
My CRT makes a clicking noise sometimes and when it happens the screen flickers. I hope my CRT isn't on its way out.

I bought a really nice CRT a while ago on ebay for 15 quid on Buy it Now or best offer and I did not hesitate. It was listed as full working order but the seller didn't use any padding just two layers of bubble wrap and when it arrived it was smashed and I was gutted. I got a refund but even to this day I am still gutted about it considering how hard it is to get a decent CRT these days.

Soldato
The build quality isn't great either, but it's handy to have an XP laptop to mess with rather than a big old desktop which I don't have the space for.

Soldato
I've swapped in a passive 9500GT into my XP PC on the new Dell 1600x1200 2007FP. It is surprisingly capable even at this resolution for mid 2000s games and I've been enjoying some...

The Sims 2 (I am no architect)

Sims2.png

Age of Empires 3

age3-2024-03-14-12-47-48-890.png

GTA 3

gta3-2024-03-14-12-57-56-281.png

BF2 with X-Fi sound

BF2-2024-03-14-13-03-31-421.png

It's nice that I've got space for quite a few disk games now too so I don't feel I have to get rid of my games in order to buy new ones.

Associate
I've got the Sims game somewhere but I never really played it much. GTA is a good one.

I've been searching for space games I can play using my joystick, Wing Commander and Space Invaders are really the only ones I enjoy that I can think of. I bought a new/old Quick Shot stick, I actually have two of them now but this one is in mint condition in its box and it only cost 4 quid.

I'm really getting into my space games at the moment.

rGUf40A.jpeg

Associate
I said I wouldn't build anymore retro PC's because I have more than enough but I found a slot 1 board with a Pentium MMX @ 233MHz while cleaning out part of the loft and now its got me very tempted to do another retro build... I must really make that my last one tho. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I said I wouldn't build anymore retro PC's because I have more than enough but I found a slot 1 board with a Pentium MMX @ 233MHz while cleaning out part of the loft and now its got me very tempted to do another retro build... I must really make that my last one tho. :)
Just do it. Keep us all updated with your progress. Shout out for any parts you might need.

Back
Top Bottom