What retro things have you done today?

Caporegime
So the Fujitsu case turned up yesterday afternoon, it needs a bit of work, the front door latch is broken so the door slides down on it’s own rather than wait for me to want it to. The reset button is missing a lid (just a bare button at present) so I’ll need to work out a solution to that, and one of the standoffs/mounts for the front panel where it meets the chassis of the case is broken so that’ll need epoxying or plastic welding.

So today will be a deep clean of the case and fixing the bits I can fix. I’ve also ordered some bits and bobs so I can try and retrobrite the incredibly yellowed front panels.

Hopefully tomorrow I can actually attempt a retrobrite (my first ever).

Caporegime
Here's some before shots that I can hopefully compare with.

fujitsu-case-rb1.jpg

fujitsu-case-rb2.jpg

fujitsu-case-rb3.jpg

And the missing reset button cap:

fujitsu-case-button.jpg

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I have ZX Spectrum Next board, and a fully cased one. I got a second pi0 to go into the cased one, so soldered the connector onto that - but then also trimmed the PCB standoffs that it needs as one of them is a bit too close to the audio jack.

nLKzcpIl.jpg

9MtZNpEl.jpg

Whilst it fits fine there, the standoffs are actually 1mm too high. The 40 pin connector makes contact but isn't fully engaged. In the cased Next, the ports won't line up properly with the back panel - so I'm going to either get some M2.5 11mm standoffs (correct size!), file down the 12mm ones a bit, or use the 10mm ones and some 1mm washers.

It's trickier than I expected finding M2.5 11mm in nylon - but I think just filing 1mm off the 12mm standoffs is fine.

Soldato
Wow that's a long time! I'd forgotten that I'd sent it :p
I was starting to think they lost it!

Ive stuck the TNT2 into the socket 7 system and it behaves exactly as the tnt2 I had found in my scrap pile! So now I am thinking the other one may work afterall and its this pc...
Grabbed a different CF card and currently doing a clean 98se install to see if that helps. The other install has had quite a few drivers on it.
Basically the card works fine in safe mode and even in normal windows but only in 16colour, as soon as you increase it windows fails to boot.

Associate
I was starting to think they lost it!

Ive stuck the TNT2 into the socket 7 system and it behaves exactly as the tnt2 I had found in my scrap pile! So now I am thinking the other one may work afterall and its this pc...
Grabbed a different CF card and currently doing a clean 98se install to see if that helps. The other install has had quite a few drivers on it.
Basically the card works fine in safe mode and even in normal windows but only in 16colour, as soon as you increase it windows fails to boot.

What chipset is on the motherboard? some of the socket 7 chipsets are a little picky with graphics cards and PCI/AGP bridge / bus drivers and the graphics drivers under windows.(latest 98se drivers from nvidia are also terrible and buggy)

Soldato
What chipset is on the motherboard? some of the socket 7 chipsets are a little picky with graphics cards and PCI/AGP bridge / bus drivers and the graphics drivers under windows.(latest 98se drivers from nvidia are also terrible and buggy)
Its an ALI chipset, alladin iv I believe. Tried all 4 pci ports. some drivers from nvidia and also detonator drivers from vogons

Associate
Good to hear it turned up!

What driver version are you using Lewis? Personally I only use 8.05 or earlier with a TNT2-based card, which has no setup executable so you install via the .inf file. The Nvidia setup installer on a lot of the later drivers under Win9x seems to be buggy in some circumstances, in that it will install the card for you and then you'll be stuck with a flashing cursor when rebooting. A second reboot then gets you to the desktop, albeit stuck with 16 colours only.

Link to Phil's 9x Nvidia page: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/nvidia-9x-graphics-drivers.html

Soldato
Currently on 3.68 which was a .inf only. Still the same. It has to be this board!
As soon as it tries to load into windows with any drivers the screen goes black and a ctrl alt del restarts it.

Back
Top Bottom