What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Perhaps I need to dial back my socket7 to something more sensible and then use that slot1 motherboard with a fastp2/slow p3 and the voodoo :)
I have not seen the case yet. Hoping for beige :p

Ive never had a mobo with slot and socket, is there any advantage of either?

Caporegime
Ive never had a mobo with slot and socket, is there any advantage of either?

It depends on what the socket can take. If it’s an early s370 designed for FPGA celerons then no there’s no point in using the socket, might as well use a slot 1 P3 (or a slocket with a s370 p3 in it). If it’s a later FCPGA socket 370 then a socket 370 p3 has faster on-die (rather then on SECC) cache.

Soldato
Blimey you lot must be on first name terms with postie! I have enough trouble talking myself into buying a £20 motherboard once every few months!
If we had the same postie one day to another I probably would be :D

Just glad things are starting to turn up.

also @hohum I think in all my excitement I didnt properly say thankyou for the card... so thankyou :D

Associate
No worries! Did you find using XP got you any further? If not, perhaps post an image or two of your bios settings at some point?

Soldato
No worries! Did you find using XP got you any further? If not, perhaps post an image or two of your bios settings at some point?
Sortof... It Got further. It would at crash at the same point but then recover and say the device or driver has failed and then be stuck in 4 colour mode. It did the same with all 3 of the cards I tried!
Someone over at vogons suggested it could be a power issue. could make sense as these are much newer GPU than were about when the motherboard was made!

Associate
I guess that's a possibility, but it's not like displaying the desktop should be that demanding the moment a driver is installed! Do you have much in the way of PCI-related settings in the BIOS? Specifically you should be enabling stuff like passive release and delayed transaction (some ISA cards don't like this apparently, but it's part of the PCI 2.1 spec). You might also have an option for IRQ routing table which should probably be enabled also.

Soldato
I guess that's a possibility, but it's not like displaying the desktop should be that demanding the moment a driver is installed! Do you have much in the way of PCI-related settings in the BIOS? Specifically you should be enabling stuff like passive release and delayed transaction (some ISA cards don't like this apparently, but it's part of the PCI 2.1 spec). You might also have an option for IRQ routing table which should probably be enabled also.
I have fiddled around with whats there but to no avail so far!

Here is a screenshot of the bios options so you can see what is there. Not too many options for messing with PCI :(

Caporegime
Have you tried disabling “VGA Frame Buffer” as I know this can affect both performance and stability on some systems with some video cards.

Edit: I’d also try running without “Video BIOS Shadow” as well. This puts the video bios in L2 Cache, which may be pointless on a more modern card (and will waste some cache).

Soldato
My retro activity has been using my XP PC alongside my work laptop whilst I work at home. For a 2.4GHz Athlon 64 3200+ (overclocked to 3800+) it's surprisingly adequate on XP for Spotify, browsing (not youtube!), watching DVDs, and using it as a second screen (viewing PDFs). I also hooked up my PS2 to my capture card so I can go on the PS2 on the same screen (my main TV uses a stupid "SCART to 3.5mm" adapter which adds literally half a second of lag so I can't really use it). The lag through the capture card fine, much better than the TV, and even the image quality is alright over SVideo.

iehIBJUh.jpg

It's also got a 7950 GT in it and I am playing through No One Lives Forever 2.
eW0fKSPh.png.jpg

Caporegime
Well, kinda disappointed, but happy at the same time.

My faulty £25 Voodoo 3 3000 arrived, it's a Dell OEM version so no TV-OUT (not that I'd be using it anyway), but it works just fine, or at least appears to. I'll get stress-testing it I guess.

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm not disappointed because it's a Dell OEM, I'm disappointed because I have nothing new to attempt to fix!

EDIT2: 3DMark99 MAX run complete at V3 3500 speeds (183/183MHz) and no graphical glitches at all. Might try some none official drivers and see if there's any performance benefit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom