What si the best defrag utility ???

Associate
Have been using PerfectDisk 7.0 for a while now, and it is pretty fast than the rest.

Im sure that I saw that it did a better job than Diskeeper 10 can, whether its the free or the paid for ones.

Only negative is how often I have to use the program to keep everything in order :(

Associate
The windows-supplied one is quite bad to be honest as it doesnt do a very tidy job with everything, and remember it was introduced when XP was released 6-years ago, so if you think its a 6-year old defragger you can see why people prefer a 3rd party app that gets updated and optimized ;)

Associate
Perfectdisk. Diskeeper is way overblown for your average home user. I used Vopt in the win98 era but it hasn't been updated for aeons and sadly doesn't fill me with confidence anymore.

Associate
a week ago, i would have said diskeeper, did me very nicely and the 'set it and forget it' feature was great since it would auto-defrag whenever the screensaver was on :) ...but, since then it's service has decided to stop working which makes the whole thing useless :(

using perfect disk now, its far slower than diskeeper but it seems to be doing a better job :eek:

Don
i use o&o defrag

every thread like this ends up with these being suggested (in no order..)

o&o defrag
voptxp
diskkeeper
perfectdisc

they're all going to do a good job tbh

i use o&o defrag, because i like the interface

and it got different types of defrag you can run (basically going from a light low resource (can still use pc) to a heavy access based defrag (takes longer but is more thorough))

http://www2.oo-software.com/support/defrag_Screenshot_pro.JPG

Associate
This is true. Quite a lot of people have defected from Diskeeper (like myself) because of there resource hungry background program

Soldato
Cheetah Designs said:
Question: Does perfectdisk have process' running in the background even when it is not running?
Good question that. I'd like to buy a defragger that doesn't insist on running a service all the time. Diskeeper does and I hate this. So what of the most popular defraggers run only themselves?

Don
oodefrag runs as a service, it takes up about 10mb, but doesn't give any noticable slowdown (and i'm dead fussy about slowdown, i dont run AV becuase of slowdown )

Associate
I dont think that PerfectDisk 7.0 runs services in the background, which is why im more favourable to this being my defragger, and which is why a lot of other people recommend it as the one to be using, I think more people have rated that than any other

Associate
My drive always seems to get defragmented no matter how much housekeeping I do with them. I know that perfectDisk doesnt take too long to do a Smart defrag, but it is just annoying to have to run the program often, but maybe thats the way that it is, and has to be done to keep it fast & in check?

Back
Top Bottom