What Speed HDD to HDD transfers?

Soldato
I don't really have a way of testing this!
I have two media PC's that transfer data between each other. They are both using WD Red Plus drives. When I transfer data between them, I get about 110MB/s for large files, which equates to the speed of my LAN. My question is, has anyone tried with with a faster network? What will modern HDD's run at?

Soldato
OP
The answer is about 190MB/s on large files!

This of course is based on the files and disks I am using. They are WD RED PLUS drives.

I was asking the question, because I wasn't sure whether I would see any real world increase in speed using a 2.5Gbps network. The answer is yes! About a 75% increase in transfer speed.

Soldato
My own 2TB drive, which is a few years old now, can reach speeds of around 180MB/sec on large files.

How large are the files you are transferring? I ask because I wonder if you're seeing a large increase in speed due to Windows buffering. Use Task Manager to check you drive's activity when transferring and see what the transfer speeds are there. Chances are you'll see the buffer flushing for a few seconds after the transfer.

Soldato
Dual LUNs and Windows aside, the best drives I’ve used can get high 200s, close to 300mb depending on what part of platter you’re using.

Back
Top Bottom