What the ***? Youtube muting a mix

Permabanned
Hi guys. I've just been uploading the first episode of my new youtube series, only to be greeted with this email:

Dear DJShayper,

Your video "Your Weekly EDM Fix Ep. 1 - Glitch Hop", may have content that is owned or licensed by AEI Media Ltd. As a result, the video’s audio has been muted.

This claim is penalising your account status. Visit your Copyright Notice page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Yours sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

This is because I used a song in a mix. Like thousands of other people on youtube, none of which have had their videos muted. Not to mention every live DJ show on there, which uses songs that other people have made anyway.

I've never had a problem before with any of my other videos, so why now, and why are they muting a video for this?

I have disputed the claim, stating that if they are going to mute/remove my video they either have to remove others as well, or they let mine stay.

Does anyone else think that their stance is ridiculous?

Thanks.

The fact is that all mixes on youtube/live performances are violating the terms of copyright.

The rights holders just tend to ignore it as it's publicising their material/insignificant or whatever reasons.

That they've singled you out may suck but in the end it's their right.

But does that mean that every live performance at clubs/festivals should be banned because they aren't mixing their own songs? Not just talking about putting them on youtube, but actually having the event in the first place. If the rights holders are going to get ****y over one video on youtube which is also publicising their media, and making more people aware of it, then surely these festivals which are doing just the same should suffer the same restrictions then?

Here's the song if anyone wants it.
Wub wub wubbb wubbbbbbbb wubbbbbbbbb.

/thread.

Your mixes suck anyway

OH NO HE DIDENT!

:rolleyes:

Anyway, just had a comment posted by one of the guys at Nu: Urban:

Hi... Just to let you know we're not contesting your legality in assuming the audio, nor are we trying to prevent you from using it. We are simply stating to YouTube that some of the audio you use is ours and that we'd like to collect the YouTube audio royalty for said use. We are not wanting to interfere with anything you are doing. Thanks, Andy at Nu Urban.

Which leaves in what position? I'm confused.

Sorry, what exactly has been muted? I've skipped through and can hear everything fine or is just muted in a particular section?

Well, it was apparently muted according to the email, but since a couple of people on my facebook have said it's fine, so either they've rescinded the copyright claim to the point where the audio is allowed, or youtube are just making a bit of a ****-up :D

Doesn't leave you in much of a position if You Tube doesn't want it on :P

Seems to me like they will unmute it if you pay the royalties. Tis the law after all

That's the thing. The comment states that they are after the money from YouTube, not me. Which makes me wonder why YouTube wanted to mute the video, if not to cover their own ***

Edit: In fact they just replied to me with this:

Not a lot I don't think. You may get other claimants like us, who are looking after the rights from some of the other tunes you played. In real terms nothing will happen, your video will remain the same and you are still the channel owner and owner of the video. We just own a portion of the rights for musical performance, which is all handled separately from anything you are doing.

Did you not even pay an ounce of attention when uploading? If there is copyright material within your content then you should list it in the description. Provided you do this generally all videos will be allowed as YT tags the items and that will link to the royalties. It also means you can't use monetise, but you shouldn't be using that anyway as the actual content is not yours.

Yes, amazingly enough I listed all of the copyrighted stuff that would fit in the tag box, and also put a disclaimer in the description stating that I did not own any of the music. And besides, I don't want any money from youtube stuff, I'm even more than happy doing club sets for free.

It's probably for the best. :p

Why is that? Not once have I ever disparaged anyone else's love of their type of music, so why do people find it necessary to do so for me?

Besides, they have clearly disliked without watching any of the mix, as I've been listening to it since it finished uploading, and it's not finished a single playthrough yet.

Not me but might jump on that band wagon, sounds fun... :rolleyes:

Again though, opinions. People are entitled to them.

With reference to your case It looks like your going to just have to suck it up and find someone else to host your videos. Youtube have been cracking down on copyright for a long time and its starting to make it harder for the average joe to upload something worthwhile.

:D. Anyway, seems as if it's working now. Just tried mixcloud, and it doesn't work. I'll try soundcloud next :)

Well done Shayper at not biting at the haters :)

Sadly you can't tell people what they like.

To be fair to him he has a point. There are too many mixes of tracks with about 60 million different synth sounds on them, just because.

Which makes it weirder that skrillex's latest stuff like burst and bun dem are simplistic yet a lot more in touch with more original dubstep. They could be played in Cable without any raised eyebrows anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom