What to do alone for a day in Orlando?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25683317 said:
I wonder why that is? Perhaps because it's worth visiting?

'Did you see ABC?'

'No way man, EVERYONE does that so I cut my nose off to spite my face and went somewhere else instead'.

It's the ideal thing to wander around whilst your GF is busy. Clearwater is cool as well but thats the sort of place you'd want to go with the girlfriend, surely. Whereas the space centre probably isn't (Though mine suffered it!).

Unless you like seeing rockets and walking on your day off then the space centre is fine.
Me I like to tell my friends that I did something cool and sporty not the same as everybody does.

Man of Honour
Me I like to tell my friends that I did something cool

Touring the launch facilities for dozens of historic space launches as well as seeing actual equipment used etc is pretty cool in most peoples books.

Still, you could always tell your mates you were 'brave' because you drove over a suspension bridge instead, right? The Sunshine Skyway bridge was epic, I agree, but it hardly requires bravery and I'd imagine most people would class a visit to the Space Centre as perhaps more of an event than a particularly noteworthy part of Interstate 275.

Besides, as I said, going for a scenic drive over that way is the sort of thing you can do WITH your girlfriend rather than alone?

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;25683386 said:
Touring the launch facilities for dozens of historic space launches as well as seeing actual equipment used etc is pretty cool in most peoples books.

Not everyone like to do the same boring things that you do..ok.
I've seen your holiday plans and frankly I would rather hang myself then do the same as everybody else.

If someone says to you "I've been to florida" you could reel off all the street names all the places they have been
because everyone does the same and it's so ruddy boring to hear it time after time.

I've lived in FL for half my life but I've never been to Disney or international drive\sea world ect BORING.

Your ninja editing poor :)

Back on topic.

Man of Honour
Not everyone like to do the same boring things that you do..ok.

I think you'd be suprised at how similar our views are. Personally I found Orlando utterly dull for more or less exactly the same reasons you do, Disney zzzz, Universal zzzz, International Drive arghghghghghhghg etc etc. It's an area everyone flocks to do the same dull park park park park villa nice weather thing. It sounds like you hate that. I hate that too.

But the Space Centre stands out as something thats actually interesting PLUS a fairly useful way for a guy to kill a day on his own whilst his GF is seeing some friends, which is what the OP asked for, after all. There isn't really anywhere else in the world like it, it's a fairly unique place to visit, a nice box to tick.

Your suggestion of popping over to Clearwater, driving over the bridge etc is pretty cool (Though I don't get the bravery part) but surely thats something you'd want to do WITH your other half, not something you'd do to kill 6 hours whilst she visited friends? :p

I've seen your holiday plans

Not entirely sure how thats relevant to the thread but I somewhat doubt you have if you thought they consisted of the same amusement park style itiniaries everyone else does.

Soldato
Wekiwa Springs. Take a kayak down the river, see some 'gators. One of the unexpected highlights when I went last time.

edit - also, why the Disney/Universal hate? Nobody goes to FL for the culture. They're just jolly good fun.

Last edited:
Associate
Unless you like seeing rockets and walking on your day off then the space centre is fine.
Me I like to tell my friends that I did something cool and sporty not the same as everybody does.

Millions of people think the same way you do. Millions think their 'off the beaten track actually is off the beaten track ;)

POB

POB

Soldato
http://www.holylandexperience.com/

holy_land_experience.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;25683070 said:
Drive to the Kennedy Space Centre. Sorted.

This, so should have did this. Orland is a horrible horrible place. But mates I was with wanted to go to the parks.

I went on a crocodile thing.

If you want good food go here

Orlando
Flemings
http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com/locations/fl/orlando

Starter - BRAISED SHORT RIBS OF BEEF,
cabernet butter sauce, fresh horseradish slaw
img0454a.jpg

Starter - BAKED BRIE,
in puff pastry dough, candied walnuts, sliced gala apples
img0455u.jpg

Main - PRIME NEW YORK STRIP &
HALF AND HALF,
double-cut shoestring fries and signature onion rings
img0456er.jpg

img0459ev.jpg

img0457im.jpg

Main - NEW ZEALAND PETITE LAMB CHOPS*
pistachio-mint pesto, "F17" sauce, polenta fries
img0458p.jpg

Pudding - WALNUT TURTLE PIE,
homemade caramel, walnuts and chocolate baked in a chocolate pie crust
img0460uy.jpg

Pudding - CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE
rich chocolate cake with a molten chocolate center of belgian chocolate, served with vanilla ice cream and chopped pistachios
img0461eo.jpg

Damage
img0462h.jpg

Check back for updates, probably tomorrow, got far more to post than that.

This meal narrowly claimed top prize and won our best meal out there. I had the ribs, steak and turtle pie. the beef ribs where amazing and the cabernet butter sauce, worked so much better than I thought it would. The steak on the other hand was slightly disappointing, well cooked and incredibly tender, but as will all USA Beef I tried distinctly lacked Beef flavour (do they still use hormones and stuff, or is it just the breed). Now to the turtle pie, what can I say. BEST PUDDING EVER and I mean that. its the best pudding I ave ever had. Rich, chocolaty and decadent, beautiful. Enjoyed it so much as soon as we got back to the motel I looked online and found a recipe.
http://go.foodgawker.com/713825/htt...11/walnut-turtle-pie-from-flemings-prime.html

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25683386 said:

Still, you could always tell your mates you were 'brave' because you drove over a suspension bridge instead, right? The Sunshine Skyway bridge was epic, I agree, but it hardly requires bravery and I'd imagine most people would class a visit to the Space Centre as perhaps more of an event than a particularly noteworthy part of Interstate 275.

Besides, as I said, going for a scenic drive over that way is the sort of thing you can do WITH your girlfriend rather than alone?

If you believe you are seeing "actual equipment that was used" then KSC probably isn't for you. The same Apollo capsule is available to "see" at multiple launch facilities throughout the US

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
OP
Did KSC as a child and it is definitely high on the list now.

We are already doing some of the parks as they are something she very much enjoys.

Thanks for the tips though!

Soldato
I landed back from Orlando this morning as it happens, was there for a week.

Was there for a work thing but had a few days free. I had been to the Space Center (recommended!) so a group of us went to Oak Ridge Gun range, then outdoor go-karts, the outlet malls and finally what trip would be the same without a visit to Hooters?

Man of Honour
If you believe you are seeing "actual equipment that was used" then KSC probably isn't for you.

There are numerous retired space craft for you to look at within the KSC complex. As in actual craft that went into actual space, so you don't need to 'beleive' anything.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25683911 said:
There are numerous retired space craft for you to look at within the KSC complex. As in actual craft that went into actual space, so you don't need to 'beleive' anything.

No, its just humerous to think you believe these are the actual craft. As I say, they can't be in two or more places throughout the states at the same time, yet unless the Apollo 11 module was following us, we saw it at least 3 times across the USA on the same trip :)

I would hit up the segways at Celebration or boggy creek boat rides as either of those is better than KSC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom