What Tripod(s)...

Associate
I am starting to think we should have a "What tripod should I get" sticky.

The standered equipment for a photog with a SLR?

Manfrotto 055 Pro B + 488 RC2 Head (or pan and tilt head if you like).

Want to go a little cheaper?

Manfrotto 190 Pro B + 486 RC2 head (or pan and tilt head if you like).

Want to spend more?

Manfrotto 055MF4 Pro + Arca-Swiss ball head (or something silimar)

There are Gitzo equivelents to the Manfrotto stuff, but they usually cost a little more, and the twist leg clamps are a little slower.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
PaulStat said:
...do you own? And how much did it set you back?
Manfrotto Carbone 441 + 322RC2 head. Can't remember how much the legs actually were but I got them at about 30% off as an end of line special (there was no way I was paying full price for carbon legs!). Head was somewhere in the £80-90 range.

Associate
Mafrotto 055pro + 488RC4 midi ball. I played with both a tilt/pan head and a ball head and the ball head seemed more compact and sturdy but now after some use I think a geared pan/tilt is probably more suited to my needs. Can't hurt to have both ;)

EDIT: Cost £176 delivered for the kit. Such a great bit of kit, makes you wonder how you managed for so long on a crappy £15 tripod!

The 055pro legs are pretty big so are well suited to a tall chap like me. Can get the camera up to eye level which I couldn't with the 190 legs. It's prett heavy but now I have an Optech tripod strap it's just fine, even for long walks :)

Last edited:

Sol

Sol

Associate
I have a Velbon Sherpa PRO CF-631EL Tripod and it's nice. Sturdy and lightweight carbon fibre. I got a 486RC2 Manfrotto ball head to accompany it.

T'is pricey though!

Associate
I've got a Manfrotto 055MF4 with a 460MG head (which I want to change)

I think the lot was shy of £300 inc the bag and a 77mm UV filter
(i.e. I don't actually remember what I paid)

EDIT: I want to change the head not the tripod, though I may get a more substantial tripod for heavier lenses, and relegate the MF4 for light lenses and slave flash guns

Last edited:
Associate
I have the Velbon ULTRA-LUXi-F tripod and paid £60 for it. I like it very much and can well recomend it to anyone who needs a lightweight and compact tripod ideal for traveling.

If your doing tripod work all the time then maybe you might want to go for a more heavy model, but the Velbon is fine for general use.

Associate
rpstewart said:
Manfrotto Carbone 441 + 322RC2 head. Can't remember how much the legs actually were but I got them at about 30% off as an end of line special (there was no way I was paying full price for carbon legs!). Head was somewhere in the £80-90 range.

How do you get on with the 322RC2 head?
Been looking today at new tripods.
If the budget can stretch to it, then a set of 055 legs and the 322 head.

Is the 322 easy to use for panning?
Whats it like when you have a lens mounted to the head?

Man of Honour
Shoei said:
How do you get on with the 322RC2 head?
Been looking today at new tripods.
If the budget can stretch to it, then a set of 055 legs and the 322 head.

Is the 322 easy to use for panning?
Whats it like when you have a lens mounted to the head?
The head is very easy to use, it takes a bit of getting used to though, you need to be careful letting go of the grip or the camera can droop a wee bit as the ball grips. Other than that it's a very flexible head.

I don't use the head for panning, it's not set up for that really anyway - you need to squeeze the grip whenever you want the head to move.

Associate
dod what benbo you got?

I'm looking at the trekker legs, im wanting something that will cope with: sitting in a river, standing sturdy on the side of a mountain, be about 3" off the sand on a beach that sort of thing

Back
Top Bottom