What TV shows are you currently watching

Permabanned
I'm currently watching Always a Witch on Netflix - it's a Spanish speaking series but I don't think it's set in Spain. It's intriguing but the acting/writing is sometimes a bit off - not sure if that's just the style though. I'm at the point where I'm too engrossed now to move away but I wouldn't necessarily tell people to put this at the top of their lists.

Soldato
Happy, Netflix. WTF is happening here then?

Blasted through this and now nearing the end of series 2. This has got to be the weirdest show I have watched in a few years, mainly because I dont usually do weird but by god Im glad I did.

Soldato
I have just finished watching The Innocent on Netflix. For me this is a hidden gem. Its original and intriguing whereby there are twists as stories come together. It's dubbed' but found it hard to tell if im honest.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10147644/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Solid rating on IMDB. 8.0

Took a punt on this, based on your post and would agree, really very good. I would go 8½ / 10.

I thought the dubbing was quite obvious, but at the same time, was done well enough. Some of the script/dialog was a little basic, but I assume this might be the translation. Normally I probably wouldn't like when they jump back and forward in the timeline, but I think they use it really well. I watched something else recently where they told the story a few times from different people's viewpoint and liked that too, it works really well here. Very good story, told really well with some good twists. (Be warned it's a little gruesome in places.)

Soldato
Just finished Season 2 of Ragnarok (Netflix).

Excellent! Such a good, modern take on Thor and surrounding story. Season 1 was good, Season 2 was even better. Pity at the short seasons, only 6 episodes per season but it's some really good quality tv!

Associate
Happy, Netflix. WTF is happening here then?

Blasted through this and now nearing the end of series 2. This has got to be the weirdest show I have watched in a few years, mainly because I dont usually do weird but by god Im glad I did.

Netflix are muppets - they cancelled Jupiters Legacy which many people havent seen yet and only gave it a quick run before cancelling 2nd season/... Dumb

Associate

Excellent! Such a good, modern take on Thor and surrounding story. Season 1 was good, Season 2 was even better. Pity at the short seasons, only 6 episodes per season but it's some really good quality tv!

I really enjoyed the first season so its good to hear the second is decent, added to the watch list.

Currently working my way though Spiral (its been going since 2008) so a few episodes to catch up, I think there is a total of eight seasons before they called it quits last year. Currently watching Season 4, its good, a likeable cast and decent stories, albeit rather gruesome and a bit seedy!

Soldato
Schitts Creek - The first few seasons of this are some great tv, now i'm into the later seasons and a lot of the story arch's are over and they are focusing on to few it has lost some of its momentum, but the casting and acting is up there for sure!

Kims convenience - watching this to plug the gap after Superstore, so far its not a patch, watchable for sure but cant really say its binge-worthy.

Associate
Me and the missus are rattling through Friday Night Dinner as we've never watched it and it drops off Netflix on June 30th. Halfway through season 3, just watched the one with the dead fox.

Brilliant, proper laugh out loud, immature, love it!

Last edited:
Associate

Just away to Stert season 2 as well it's quite good, also in some comments above I seen justified so started watching that, one of them shows you have to keep watching one after another

Associate
Caporegime
Schitts Creek - The first few seasons of this are some great tv, now i'm into the later seasons and a lot of the story arch's are over and they are focusing on to few it has lost some of its momentum, but the casting and acting is up there for sure!

Kims convenience - watching this to plug the gap after Superstore, so far its not a patch, watchable for sure but cant really say its binge-worthy.

Gave up on Superstore after 5 episodes as every character was super annoying, whereas we fell in love with Kim's Convenience.

That said, I've never found any sitcom bingeable as such.

Man of Honour
If you want fascinating together with superb narration, both The World at War : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071075/ and The Civil War : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098769/
are unequalled in their respected fields.

I’ll second Ken Burns “The Civil War”, I’ve seen it from start to finish a couple of times, and if I notice there’s an episode on as I’m channel surfing, I’ll watch that one again.
The episode where the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg in 1938 was shown would make a grown man cry.
Old guys of 90 odd to 100, dressed in blue or grey, medals on display, shook hands across the low stone wall that was the target for Confederate General George Pickett’s disastrous charge on the last day of the battle, Pickett suffered 50% casualties.
There are some fascinating snippets on there, e.g. the Union Major-General Joseph Hooker allowed his men to fraternise freely with the prostitutes that followed his command.
They became known as Hooker’s Division, and from there we get the word ‘hooker.’
After General John Pemberton surrendered Vicksburg MS to General Grant on July 4th 1863, Independence Day was not celebrated in Vicksburg for 80 years.

Associate
Stuff that stood out for me this past year, well I can't recommend them highly enough!:
Succession
The Queen’s Gambit
I May Destroy You
Atlanta
OJ: Made in America
Twin Peaks
Catastrophe
The Crown
The Deuce
The Mandalorian
Fleabag
The Outsider - Stephen King mini series

TV shows that I should like but haven't clicked with me:
Line of Duty
Des
Devs - actually really good but some scenes the director forgot to remind them to act

How do you choose what to watch? There's so much now :) I tend to look at recommended lists from the likes of Guardian and start from there.

My to watch list is long but maybe My Brilliant Friend is next.

Soldato
How do you choose what to watch?

I tend to cross reference suggestions from this thread with IMDb ratings. If a couple of people recommend it and it's over a 7 on IMDb and it sounds roughly like something I would enjoy, it's probably a fairly safe bet.

I'm on Succession at the moment, just watched S01E09... and I'm not entirely sure, I think mainly because, like Yellowstone, there aren't really any likeable characters. There's not really anyone to get behind and pull for.

Soldato
I've just started watching Banshee after dropping Elementary.

I made it through some of season 4 with Elementary, but I'm struggling with the show and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it. From the first episode I got the feeling that it was just on the edge of getting better yet never manages to pull it off, the cast are mostly very good and in season four one of my favourite actors (John Noble) is his usual fantastic self. The issue I have in large is with the writing, it's just a little bit bland and it isn't quite as clever as it tries to be, the acting talent simply isn't able to shine with the script. Many aspects of the show are things I felt were done better in shows like White Collar.

I'm only one episode into Banshee so far and I really enjoyed it, fingers crossed the quality holds up.

Back
Top Bottom