What upgrade is needed to render 3D images faster ?

Soldato
Was about to say, rendering can either be done via CPU, GPU or BOTH.

Also, programs can offer different plug ins to allow you to render off different hardware or 3rd party rendering engines.
If doing critical work you'd be rendering off workstation cards etc .

Also depends on cash you want to spend. Getting ram up to 3200hz will help . Switching to ryzen 3*** will also help greatly . Even 3700x would show a good increase without heavy cash ! Just update your bios first

Before lock down were you doing face to face designing were you'd naturally want an instant render ! If working non client facing , wouldn't be too much caught on speed if say 4 mins is your average

Soldato
OP
Was about to say, rendering can either be done via CPU, GPU or BOTH.

Also, programs can offer different plug ins to allow you to render off different hardware or 3rd party rendering engines.
If doing critical work you'd be rendering off workstation cards etc .

Also depends on cash you want to spend. Getting ram up to 3200hz will help . Switching to ryzen 3*** will also help greatly . Even 3700x would show a good increase without heavy cash ! Just update your bios first

Have gone with a Ryzen 3900 and 16gb DDR4 3600

Associate
Easy to see that this rendering software cares about CPU only.
It is highly likely performance will scale linearly with number of cores (and IPC).
So 3900X will cut rendering time by more than half. 3950X probably by two thirds.

Whether threadripper makes sense after that is up to you. 3970X will half the time again, but that means going from 1/3 of 3950X to 1/6, gain of 1/6 for triple cost.

Either way you go, also take 3600MHz [dual rank] ram to maximise multithreaded perfromance of Zen 2.

Soldato
Honestly I happened to see this and was curious because in most cases it's just more cpu and/or faster gpu (depending on render engine).

When I saw you were complaining about 4 minute renders I was like... you're complaining over 4 minute renders.. really.... I've had (animation) renders go into days lol. In the past I've had single frames take over an hour in some cases when you get the joy of raytracing and multiple different refractive materials etc.

Soldato
OP
Honestly I happened to see this and was curious because in most cases it's just more cpu and/or faster gpu (depending on render engine).

When I saw you were complaining about 4 minute renders I was like... you're complaining over 4 minute renders.. really.... I've had (animation) renders go into days lol. In the past I've had single frames take over an hour in some cases when you get the joy of raytracing and multiple different refractive materials etc.

That was a low quality render - the problem is we show them to customers in 4K and that takes a GOOD bit longer - feels like an eternity when you are sitting planning a bathroom or kitchen with a customer sat opposite you waiting for the screen to load. They don't hang around for ever you know- things to do - people to see.

Soldato
That was a low quality render - the problem is we show them to customers in 4K and that takes a GOOD bit longer - feels like an eternity when you are sitting planning a bathroom or kitchen with a customer sat opposite you waiting for the screen to load. They don't hang around for ever you know- things to do - people to see.
Maybe you need to look at different programs... I can't remember needing to sit around for ages when we had kitchen/bathroom planned in wickes/b&q (pc's weren't high end either)....

In all honesty if you want 'instant' rendering for clients you should really be looking at programs that support gpu rendering but it doesn't seem that the program you mentioned is even considering gpu rendering tech...

Soldato
OP
Maybe you need to look at different programs... I can't remember needing to sit around for ages when we had kitchen/bathroom planned in wickes/b&q (pc's weren't high end either)....

In all honesty if you want 'instant' rendering for clients you should really be looking at programs that support gpu rendering but it doesn't seem that the program you mentioned is even considering gpu rendering tech...

I have their software already - its a very poor quality image but it works for their market. When you are aiming for the quality market, you need a quality image and the low quality renders in my original post blow away the BEST that the wickes / B&Q software have to offer.

Soldato
I have their software already - its a very poor quality image but it works for their market. When you are aiming for the quality market, you need a quality image and the low quality renders in my original post blow away the BEST that the wickes / B&Q software have to offer.
Honestly if that image is indicitive of the images it puts out then that isn't any better than the ones I saw in wickes/b&q imo..... you might think otherwise, and that's fine, but I'm basing it off my own experience and my work in 3D design and rendering.

Soldato
OP
Honestly if that image is indicitive of the images it puts out then that isn't any better than the ones I saw in wickes/b&q imo..... you might think otherwise, and that's fine, but I'm basing it off my own experience and my work in 3D design and rendering.

Yeah - I have the software that they have too - 2020 its called. I bought it because I was familiar with it from working at B and Q for a year so thought it would be the best one for me. When you use them both every day and compare them side by side, trust me , there is a huge difference when they are BOTH on their best quality settings.

Soldato
OP
As a wee update, I upgraded to a 3900X from a 2600X and popped in faster RAM 3600 CL16

CPU still maxxed out at 100% on every core but rendering time dropped by almost 40% I would say

Very worthwhile indeed.

Soldato
As a wee update, I upgraded to a 3900X from a 2600X and popped in faster RAM 3600 CL16

CPU still maxxed out at 100% on every core but rendering time dropped by almost 40% I would say

Very worthwhile indeed.
Rendering will always max out CPUs. Nice to see the time drop.
6c to 12c 40% reduction is decent.

Man of Honour

I've been playing about with the new RTX renderer in Quake 2 - while you are still dealing with a 25 year old engine underneath geometry wise, etc. so the results are still pretty blocky and I'm no graphic designer it is pretty crazy what it can render in real time at 7-10FPS on a GTX1070 and upto 70-80FPS on a 2080ti.

There are lots and lots of issues due to the age of the engine and I was only using materials that existed within the RTX version of the game but I reproduced from scratch (as I couldn't just import them into an engine this old) a couple of benchmark room scenes

TLWLgqC.jpg

(Original scene by the original designer https://www.blendswap.com/blend/13552 )

QR6T3Gg.jpg

People vastly underestimate what RT and the approach nVidia is taking to it can bring IMO.

Soldato
Oh I know how good gpu rendering can be with the right engine and gpu, if you read some of my later posts in this thread you'll see I'm basically saying it's the 'best option' for 'instant viewing' but the program doesn't support it.

Unfortunatetly not everything works great in just gpu rendering and there are still some things that work better using just the cpu....cuda is a hell of a lot better than opencl though lol

Associate
If it’s taking so long to render an image like that, surely can’t you reduce the quality/size?

I know it’s pretty and all, and the reflections look wonderful, but wouldn’t a 1024x768 preview do the same? Hanging about for a quarter of an hour for a view from a different angle in 4K seems like the definition of overkill?

Back
Top Bottom