What was I supposed to do? Might have gone through a red light

Associate
OP
You seem to be trying very hard to tell yourself this.

Chill out man, life's too short :)
Yes I know , my anxiety especially around driving has got insane lately.
You were in the junction when the light went red.

Had you crossed the line after it went red you'd have been a very naughty boy, but you didn't the rest is history.
Are we talking about the white line or the yellow box

Associate
OP
I think the police are a bit too busy doing other things to bother with you to be honest mate. ;)
I know but you never know they seem to be big on anything and everything related to motoring offences right now. Just wanted a second opinion, my dad a driver of 30 years (who has had probably about a dozen speeding tickets one recently) said I was fine but wanted a second opinion

Associate
OP
The only bad thing about that video is that you showed yourself sitting there for far too long and only a fraction of a second after the turn.
Still nothing illegal though?
Tbh in future I'd be less hesitant about going into the box . But getting a fine a couple of months after I passed my test for going into one (totally different circumstances though), I've tried to avoid them wherever possible.

Associate
Nothing wrong there, you crossed the white line well before the lights changed.

What normally peeves me in these situations is where you get a numpty coming in the opposite direction to you, who blatantly runs the red light, while you are sat there waiting to turn right and the lights change for the vehicles on the road you would be turning into, so even though you would have allowed plenty of time to clear the junction had the cars in the opposite direction started to stop on amber, you are then faced with an onslaught of cars driving towards your off side while you're making the turn.

Man of Honour
As far as I can see you've done nothing illegal - would have been better to take up a more dominant position in the box once you were clear to do so.

Personally would have waited back behind the white line until the van was further forward so as to not block the pedestrian crossing, etc. if the lights do change.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As far as I can see you've done nothing illegal - would have been better to take up a more dominant position in the box once you were clear to do so.

Personally would have waited back behind the white line until the van was further forward so as to not block the pedestrian crossing, etc. if the lights do change.
Cool, that seems to be the consensus here. Thanks, it just looked like to me that I'd gone through a red light but then I forgot I'd actually crossed the white line so I haven't actually done anything wrong.
In future I will take up a more dominant position.

Soldato
Imagine if everyone reported every driver they saw making a mild, innocent mistake. You weren't stationary in the yellow box when the lights changed because you cleared it as soon as you could.

Back
Top Bottom