What watch do you wear?

Associate
Today's timepiece
IMG20210710131504.jpg

Soldato
Love the Seamaster, especially the latest iteration. The only thing that stops me buying one is the manual helium valve, not a fan. Otherwise it's the perfect dive watch in 3 hand form.

Man of Honour
That is one beautiful watch. I lover the chunky two-tone face and clean simple design.

Thanks! It is the 36mm so the dial space and hand and marker proportions are perfect in my eyes as the 40mm has quite a bit of emptiness that I think looks better on a smaller size given these are all dial with no bezel.

Interesting news though that Stowa has been sold to Tempus group (German watch group). Jorg is remaining CEO but I now fully expect that prices will go up, especially if they're planning on adding retail channels to reach more potential buyers.

In light of this here's a wristshot from yesterday's wedding shoot :p

wristshot_wedding-heena-nelson.jpg

I do like that Grand Seiko :cool:

Also @mrk don't look at the post four above this one :eek::p

Date window though! My future GS has to be one with no date window. Seiko have no idea how to do a non distracting date window I have come to decide. Great watch otherwise though :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Date window though! My future GS has to be one with no date window. Seio have no idea how to do a non distracting date window I have come to decide. Great watch otherwise though :cool:
I don't like date windows at all on most watches but I have to look past it in some instances, this being one of the few occasions!
I sold my Exp2 because the cyclops was so off putting.

Soldato
It's only recently they have pulled their finger out and started making better quality pieces. I still believe CW is on par with their quality, aside from not having access to the same movements.

I have to say I do like a lot of CW's stuff. Just think the logo and branding is off. They don't quite have the heritage to be charging the prices they do either. When the sales come up, they are really good value though.

Associate
Anyone got a recommendation on a cheap watch / simple movement to try out some watch repairs on? Don't fancy going head first into any of the watches that I currently own :o
You could take a look at some of the older pocket watch movements, larger than a wristwatch movement but it seems like an ideal place to start to me. They tend to be pretty cheap on eBay.

Other than that maybe a Chinese unitas clone?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40011...fx6oq1icadki17a95ec2cb72133d6392d1b9e7&gclid=

Soldato
You could take a look at some of the older pocket watch movements, larger than a wristwatch movement but it seems like an ideal place to start to me. They tend to be pretty cheap on eBay.

Other than that maybe a Chinese unitas clone?
Good shout. Vostok also seem to be recommended for such tasks too.

Associate
It's ugly and unnecessary. An automatic valve inset into the case would have been better. Or just do away with it completely.
Yes, got to agree there about it being unnecessary for most people, I don't plan on going deep sea diving anytime soon nd if I did I wouldn't be wearing it. I find it doesn't get in the way too much for me personally. I think it looks better on the Diver than on the chronographs

Soldato

Good shout. Vostok also seem to be recommended for such tasks too.

That's a good suggestion, the larger pocket watch could give a bit of a grounding on how things go together. Vostok is a good shout along with Chinese movements although I do like idea of getting something second hand and fixing it rather than just dismantling and reassembling something new. I guess both have their merits though. Cheers

Man of Honour
Unusual that a multimillionaire has a multi million dollar watch collection :p

In other news I should have a pocket watch in the next week or so to tinker with :D

What's unusual is that they're all factory set, even if they are ugly, the fact that they are pristine and unmolested like you usually see or "bespoke" speaks volumes about Hart's taste.

Back
Top Bottom