What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Hi, looking for some advice if anyone can help?

I have a Tag 2000 Chrono, its an old model my wife bought for me when we got married. It's been on my wrist for the past 15 years or so and is now knackered, it no longer tells the time, the case and strap is scratched etc. has anybody ever sent their watch in for a complete service? would these issues be fixed? the price seems to be 325 quid according to the website.

thanks.

Depending on the damage, they can sometimes require you to pay for an entirely new case before they service it, which is often uneconomical unless extremely sentimental (and then it's still not the same watch anyway). The only way to find out is to send it in.
£325 for a complete service and refinish is, in this day and age, really not that bad for the company to undertake themselves. You may find a cheaper indie that could do it, but they may not have access to both the internal and external parts if things need replacing.

Edit: I don't think you're looking at TAG's official site. They quote £450 for the service? https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/service/complete-service.html

Depending on the damage, they can sometimes require you to pay for an entirely new case before they service it, which is often uneconomical unless extremely sentimental (and then it's still not the same watch anyway). The only way to find out is to send it in.
£325 for a complete service and refinish is, in this day and age, really not that bad for the company to undertake themselves. You may find a cheaper indie that could do it, but they may not have access to both the internal and external parts if things need replacing.

Edit: I don't think you're looking at TAG's official site. They quote £450 for the service? https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/service/complete-service.html

Thanks for the reply, yeah I guess contacting them with what's needed is the way to go. It's a quarts movement so it says 325, thanks

Soldato
Also because it's a Sellita movement you should be able to drop it into any half decent watchmaker. There's nothing special Oris have done to it other than relabel it with an Oris reference.
Nothing special about their movements.... how could you say that..... they paint the rotor red!!! :p

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, yeah I guess contacting them with what's needed is the way to go. It's a quarts movement so it says 325, thanks
Oh my bad, sorry thought it was an auto.

It's worth contacting Duncan Potter at Genesis and asking too: https://www.genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/tag-heuer.html
Extremely reputable independents who have access to genuine parts. They're more granular with their pricing, so it's £295 for the service plus £50-100 for the case refinishing.

I'd wager TAG add on quite a bit to the £325 once all aspects are taken care of given your watch's age and condition, but could be wrong. Additional things like new hands, crystal, dial etc. often get thrown on top, even though they're perfectly serviceable to you, the manufacturer often like to make things like 'as new' as possible. Some like that, I personally, do not.

Last edited:
Oh my bad, sorry thought it was an auto.

It's worth contacting Duncan Potter at Genesis and asking too: https://www.genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/tag-heuer.html
Extremely reputable independents who have access to genuine parts. They're more granular with their pricing, so it's £295 for the service plus £50-100 for the case refinishing.

I'd wager TAG add on quite a bit to the £325 once all aspects are taken care of given your watch's age and condition, but could be wrong. Additional things like new hands, crystal, dial etc. often get thrown on top, even though they're perfectly serviceable to you, the manufacturer often like to make things like 'as new' as possible. Some like that, I personally, do not.

Again, cheers for the info. I'm just weighing up if it will be worth it or not, depends on the total price. You can get good examples for 500 or so from various places so might not be worth the trouble.

Associate
The Max Bill 34mm finally arrived, almost 1 month after I ordered it.

Initial impressions, I was a little unsure but it has grown on me massively over the last 24hrs.

It's much smaller than I'm used to (but the actual dial size is exactly the same as most of my other watches, there's just no bezel to increase the size). It's grown on me even though it certainly felt small to begin with.
The 38mm I was originally looking at had a white dial. I didn't spot in the description that the 34mm is more of a silvery colour however, when it catches the light, it looks stunning.
It's light, very light. Almost toy like.
Accuracy after 24hrs = +1sec. I can't complain about that!
I'm not keen on the stock strap for this model so I already had a black Hirsch waiting to go on. Much prefer it with the black strap.
It's a very dressy watch. It doesn't work particularly well dressed down but with a suit / dinner suit, it should be perfect.

HNOttv9.jpg

9NcBCpj.jpg

yXjOp0x.jpg

OXIJ38Q.jpg

Associate
On a mission to have a number of straps on rotation for the Laco and seen Barton have a new series which looks rather cool, it's silicone/canvas hybrid but their colour scheme in grey/black looks to be a perfect match to the Laco's grey case and black dial. I am going to order it with the gunmental buckle which also looks like a match. That's gonna be a realy nice strap combo I feel :D

Can you leave your opinion on these straps once you've used yours for a short while? I'm seeing some people really like them but there are a lot of negative to middling reviews on amazon as well.

Associate
Quick question will trying to demagnetise a watch that is not magnetised cause the watch to be magnetised or cause any other issues?

Sorry if it’s a stupid question, basically as mentioned before my Oris is running +25 sec a day and although ive tested for magnetisation just wanted to give it a go just in case. Thanks.

Man of Honour
You'll always find negative amazon reviews no matter how good the product. I only read them and try to ascertain if the person is a bit of a melt or not :p

I've had more straps than I can count over the years so will be instantly be able to tell if that Barton is gonna be up to the task or not and will update here.

On the demagnetising front you won't magnetise it on a watch that isn't magnetised. As long as the crown is pulled so the movement is parked and you follow the standard process to demagnetising then nothing can go wrong.

You'll feel slight vibration as you lift the watch off the device vertically, this is normal and feels weird the first time round.

Associate
Ok cool thanks I’ve just tried it, held the watch about 1cm away with the crystal facing up, held down the button and slowly moved the watch away up to about 30cm whilst counting 10 seconds, did it twice then set it to correct time and left it.

Will report back in a few hours!

Associate
You'll always find negative amazon reviews no matter how good the product. I only read them and try to ascertain if the person is a bit of a melt or not :p

I've had more straps than I can count over the years so will be instantly be able to tell if that Barton is gonna be up to the task or not and will update here.

On the demagnetising front you won't magnetise it on a watch that isn't magnetised. As long as the crown is pulled so the movement is parked and you follow the standard process to demagnetising then nothing can go wrong.

You'll feel slight vibration as you lift the watch off the device vertically, this is normal and feels weird the first time round.

Yeah I know, hence why I'm asking what you think. You've had more straps than me and that's saying something!

Soldato
@dink what's the manufacturers declared accuracy for your Oris movement? E.g your average Seiko movement is around the +30 / - 15 seconds a day? But generally as the brand manufacturers quality goes up the loss / gain improves as the longines I have are around +5 / -3 second per day.

Associate
I’m not sure to be honest, although when I questioned +25 per day with them they said it was abnormal, so they asked me to average it out over 5 days and get back to them.

Back
Top Bottom