What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Rolex regard it as a privilege to buy one of their watches :p if you aren't prepared to pay full whack and sit on a waiting list for a year then you just aren't worthy :p

And it's this attitude that makes me dislike the brand.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone have any experience with Pagani Design watches? Some really nice ones but they just seem too cheap to be decent build quality.
I have one (PD1639) and the materials are great for the money (decent stainless, sapphire, ceramic) . Case finishing is OK to good, movement is Seiko so no worries there. You can expect corners to be cut in QA, so the Bezel was misaligned on mine, and the bracelet had some sharp edges. Both easy fixes. I wear mine when I want the feel of a premium watch out and about but don't want to risk it.

They are homage watch's rather than fakes, otherwise they wouldn't be branded, I'm thinking of grabbing the SN008G V3, I'm interested in this because I believe they offer amazing value for money, what San Martin do is show how much mark-up there is on watches by achieving what they do for the price.
I have a few "clones" "homages" whatever you want to call them (I call them "watches") bought to test if I like the style and sizing before going for something more expensive. I love my SN0129 so much I'm keeping an eye open for a Grand Seiko. I will keep the San Martin though as the dial is unique and exquisite.

They are amazing value for money. San Martin in particular blow most microbrands out of the water in terms of value, let alone premium brands. They are unarguably excellent timepieces, and in terms of quality and looks they get 98% of the way there at 2% of the cost. The rest of it (brand identity and snobbery, ethics etc) is all in your head, so make your own mind up and don't listen to anyone else :) Just remember there's nothing new under the sun, and Rolex didn't invent the wristwatch, let alone the dive watch.

What a time to be alive!

Man of Honour
Rolex regard it as a privilege to buy one of their watches :p if you aren't prepared to pay full whack and sit on a waiting list for a year then you just aren't worthy :p

And it's this attitude that makes me dislike the brand.
Sounds like Porsche! Does that come from Rolex, or the dealers? We were in Harvey Nichols (I think?) in Bristol last year and they seemed pretty confident of a 6-9 month delivery time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like Porsche! Does that come from Rolex, or the dealers? We were in Harvey Nichols in Bristol last year and they seemed pretty confident of a 6-9 month delivery time.
I think it depends on the model you want. I think you'll be on the list for an eternity for a Daytona :p

Hence why the gray dealer cost is double the price.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's all part of the Rolex experience :p It's a shame as I do like a few of their watches.
I'm guessing our local AD would want to have us order a Datejust or two before considering anything else. However we have two already purchased through them albeit my wife's parents, and have had one of them valued with them and need the second one doing as well, so there is some relationship with them. Will go in an for the valuation and see what they say about a new order.

Soldato
Most likely a Yacht Master, but really need to go and have a proper look.
I'd do a bit more research before you settle 100% (apols if you have). If you love that model fine, but it is one of their least desirable models. It shouldn't matter too much if you are keeping it forever, but it doesn't carry the same "Rolex" sex appeal like the GMT Master, Explorer, Submariner, DateJust, President etc...

Man of Honour
I'd do a bit more research before you settle 100% (apols if you have). If you love that model fine, but it is one of their least desirable models. It shouldn't matter too much if you are keeping it forever, but it doesn't carry the same "Rolex" sex appeal like the GMT Master, Explorer, Submariner, DateJust, President etc...
Appreciate this, I have no idea. :cry: I just looked on their website and went 'I like that one'. After closing the £45k Daytona tab. :eek:

I like clean watches, my Bremont Solo is nice and clean, and the YM appeared as clean but I do like the Submariner after looking a bit more last night.

Soldato
Appreciate this, I have no idea. :cry: I just looked on their website and went 'I like that one'. After closing the £45k Daytona tab. :eek:

I like clean watches, my Bremont Solo is nice and clean, and the YM appeared as clean but I do like the Submariner after looking a bit more last night.
Don't get me wrong, I think some of them are nice -- Daytona's are achievable, but expect a 2-3 year wait.

The absolute poster child Rolex's are:
https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/GMT-Master/watches (the Pepsis, Batman, Sprites, Hulks etc. will all be quite tricky to get brand new, and are a flippers wet-dream).

Soldato
I do love the Daytona, but I'm not prepared to pay the going rate for it. The zenith el Primero chronomaster sport has a similar aesthetic and is also a superior watch in my opinion, so I'd probably buy that instead if I had the money :D

Soldato
I do love the Daytona, but I'm not prepared to pay the going rate for it. The zenith el Primero chronomaster sport has a similar aesthetic and is also a superior watch in my opinion, so I'd probably buy that instead if I had the money :D
When my boss left the firm we went to WoS on Oxford Street and took a look at the Zenith. In my head it was a sure shot but it just didn't win me over as much as I had wanted :(

To be fair, I held/wore his Daytona whilst he tried on the Zenith so maybe it wasn't a fair setup lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom