What watch do you wear?

Associate
Walked into Tissot Covent Garden half wanting a PRX Auto for myself. Walked out with a PRX Chrono for me and a 35mm Auto PRX in Gold for the wife. Both very happy. Sales guy is a lovely chap (we've bought from him before) and it turns out he lives just down the road, so we're meeting up for socials soon.

Soldato
Wanted something a bit brighter. Tsuyosa.
6Lhftf5.jpg

Little bit of progress on the latest project.

Seiko 7017-8000 Speedtimer Chronograph. First watch I bought myself to tinker with, then realised I needed to start with something simpler. :D

Just got this side all built up, going to let it run in for a bit before I have a tinker but the initial numbers look very promising for a 50+ year old watch. I am over the moon with that amplitude and beat error, mainly because I've done no tweaking and haven't oiled the hairspring top jewel yet.

UuSMZYg.jpeg

wGul7td.png

I still have to build the calendar works, refurbish the case and relume the dial but it's off to a good start.

Edit - I had the angle wrong for the 7017, should be 53 degrees. Retested at a very reasonable 0.1ms beat error and 268 amplitude, very very pleased with that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a real stroke of luck today.

Had my name down in a couple of Rolex ADs near me since end of last year for a Datejust. Hadn't really thought much about it since other than I knew I wanted to get a Datejust this year at some point to celebrate the birth of our first child who is due in September (but knew there was no guarantees of getting one in any relative short time frame).

My wife was in town today so I asked her to stop by the 2 AD's just to see what they had in their window as i had been toying about trying a silver or black dial but low and behold she gets there and in one of them they had the exact spec/reference I'd registered interest for in the window.

She went in and asked about it, saying her husband had been on the list for it, etc etc, is it available to buy? etc etc. After a bit of a chat behind the scenes the sales rep came back and said yep I can see you are on the list for it so yes its yours if you want it today or tomorrow, but they can't hold it for longer! Needless to say t!he wife called me and confirmed it with them that I would be straight there after work to purchase!

I was talking with the rep and claimed it was newly available and they hadn't got round to calling anyone on the waiting lists yet but I was in the right place at the right time, especially having already registered my interest in it. Not sure how much I believe that as I spoke to an AD in Bath the other week and said I'd be looking at at least 18 months min for what I was after. So it either sounds like i've been incredibly lucky and jumped a queue or the whole waiting list thing is a load of tosh!

Either way, here she is:
IXaNuTl.jpeg

What makes it even more timely is that I saw someone selling a very similar one online that was brand new from a shop and unworn, obviously for more than retail that I was considering and then this comes along!
Very happy with it, looked just as stunning as I remembered when I initially tried one on!

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a real stroke of luck today.

Had my name down in a couple of Rolex ADs near me since end of last year for a Datejust. Hadn't really thought much about it since other than I knew I wanted to get a Datejust this year at some point to celebrate the birth of our first child who is due in September (but knew there was no guarantees of getting one in any relative short time frame).

My wife was in town today so I asked her to stop by the 2 AD's just to see what they had in their window as i had been toying about trying a silver or black dial but low and behold she gets there and in one of them they had the exact spec/reference I'd registered interest for in the window.

She went in and asked about it, saying her husband had been on the list for it, etc etc, is it available to buy? etc etc. After a bit of a chat behind the scenes the sales rep came back and said yep I can see you are on the list for it so yes its yours if you want it today or tomorrow, but they can't hold it for longer! Needless to say t!he wife called me and confirmed it with them that I would be straight there after work to purchase!

I was talking with the rep and claimed it was newly available and they hadn't got round to calling anyone on the waiting lists yet but I was in the right place at the right time, especially having already registered my interest in it. Not sure how much I believe that as I spoke to an AD in Bath the other week and said I'd be looking at at least 18 months min for what I was after. So it either sounds like i've been incredibly lucky and jumped a queue or the whole waiting list thing is a load of tosh!

Either way, here she is:
IXaNuTl.jpeg

What makes it even more timely is that I saw someone selling a very similar one online that was brand new from a shop and unworn, obviously for more than retail that I was considering and then this comes along!
Very happy with it, looked just as stunning as I remembered when I initially tried one on!
For me, this is the "best" Rolex; as it is unashamedly Rolex. I'd love a DayDate President - although is that a white hand on a white dial? Or just reflection?

Man of Honour
While having a bit of a clearout I found one of my late fathers watches. My brother recalls this was his 18th birthday present which would put it at about 1960 although we can't be 100% sure. It's not worth anything in monetary value but obviously a lot in sentimental terms.

kPWWKBu.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom