What watch do you wear?

Associate
My Orient Mako :D Had it since July 2012, very pleased with it so far. Reading through this thread has made me start thinking about getting something with a nato strap though, any suggestions for a similar budget?

1WshhVg.jpg

Soldato
The watch you linked to is titanium.

There is no watch in the world made out of platinum (case and bracelet) that you can buy for £800.

EDIT - on a slight tangent, my wife has a lot of handbags, some bought 5-10 years ago, several are now worth double what she paid and if she decided to sell them, they would get snapped up. Certain vintage watches are also an excellent investment if you know what you are doing. There are even dedicated fund managers who will advise you which watches to invest in; however some of these watches are for the serious collector/person with a shedload of cash.

indeed, my mrs bought a chanel bag 4 years ago that costs double what she paid today.

most s/s rolex if you hold onto them for a few years will have a second hand value greater than you paid

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
All you need to do is look at a Omega / Breitling / Rolex service video to see the workmanship that goes into just cleaning and maintenance.

So not much different to the servicing that goes on with most other watch brands then :p

My Orient Mako :D Had it since July 2012, very pleased with it so far. Reading through this thread has made me start thinking about getting something with a nato strap though, any suggestions for a similar budget?

[]http://i.imgur.com/1WshhVg.jpg?1[/IMG]
Maratac make the best quality Nato straps in a variety of styles and hardware designs. I had an Olive one on my Mako which worked quite well.

Caporegime
I have 2 piece of artwork at home that would sell for 10 or 40 times of what I paid. They are unique in a way that it is numbered (one of them is No.1 out of I think 20 and signed) and I met the artist in person (with instagram photo as proof!), the other one was direct out of her own portfolio wallet so it even has a history.

But the potential resale value meaningless because I would never sell them.

Unless you bought a watch from day one with the intention as a pure investement then I don't know why people keep going on about that aspect of it, is it to make you feel better because of the amount you just paid? To ease the guilt?

Don
Unless you bought a watch from day one with the intention as a pure investement then I don't know why people keep going on about that aspect of it, is it to make you feel better because of the amount you just paid? To ease the guilt?

one day you may need to release the money you have tied up in them, in my case I tend to change hem after a period of time though I have been doing this a lot less recently

Soldato
I have 2 piece of artwork at home that would sell for 10 or 40 times of what I paid. They are unique in a way that it is numbered (one of them is No.1 out of I think 20 and signed) and I met the artist in person (with instagram photo as proof!), the other one was direct out of her own portfolio wallet so it even has a history.

But the potential resale value meaningless because I would never sell them.

I agree that the majority of people that buy a brand new watch as an "investment" are kidding themselves, unless they were buying a certain watch knowing it was limited in supply, desirable etc and would be worth more than what they paid in the future; of which there are not many at all.

I'd have no guilt about buying a Newman Daytona or similar vintage watch because I know it would be worth at least exactly what I paid for it in a year should I decide to sell it.

However none of my watches have ever been bought as investments; I buy them because I like them.

Caporegime
I agree that the majority of people that buy a brand new watch as an "investment" are kidding themselves, unless they were buying a certain watch knowing it was limited in supply, desirable etc and would be worth more than what they paid in the future; of which there are not many at all.

I'd have no guilt about buying a Newman Daytona or similar vintage watch because I know it would be worth at least exactly what I paid for it in a year should I decide to sell it.

However none of my watches have ever been bought as investments; I buy them because I like them.

See, I love that honesty :) I wish some people would just admit that.

I see nothing wrong spending £10,000 as a watch if people just say "I like it".

I just find it funny when they justify it with "investments, history etc". I saw a post about someone going on about Rolex uses its profit for charity, I am like…what?! Did you buy that watch because Rolex donates profits for charity ? Really?

Soldato

surely its justification on the VFM aspect?

If i buy something for 10k that if i was in a bind i could sell for 10k 2 years down the line, thats better value for money than something that cost me 3k thats worthless.

Caporegime
surely its justification on the VFM aspect?

If i buy something for 10k that if i was in a bind i could sell for 10k 2 years down the line, thats better value for money than something that cost me 3k thats worthless.

If you had a time machine.

There is no certainty that it will stay the same, go up or go down in value. It is a risk. If investment is a reason, I would say it is safer to spend £100 on a watch and stick the other £9,900 under the bed for a rainy day. Plus you don't need to faff around with selling it.

I would say that it is a bonus that the watch holds its value, I would never use it as a reason for buying it to begin with. If I was worried at all that I might be in a bind down the line, I wouldn't have spent £10,000 on a watch. So to even contemplate that thought sounds as though the money could be better spent elsewhere.

We are getting a bit psychological here but that's just my perspective on it. What justifications one uses on buying a watch or anything is down to you, I don't have a problem with it, its your money. Some of the reasons I just find it strange that's all.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought my SMP because (IMO of course) its a fantastic looking and feeling watch.

However I also bought it because a few years back they were £1700 rrp.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You can do it yourself easily. Small pin hammer, thin screwdriver to poke through and a small hammer or large screwdriver handle to tap out the link pins via the screwdriver head.

Back
Top Bottom