What watch do you wear?

Soldato
In the past one of the easiest ways to spot real ones from the movement. A Rolex second hand should be smooth as silk and not making a ticking noise.

Like Tone says though, that may have changed more recently with the quality of fakes these days.

EDIT: Quick google suggests I'm wrong - Rolex also make ones that tick! :D

Genuinely interested so did a little googling. Seems like if it's real everything should be more than millimeter perfect. However, given the suggest age of the watch it's hard to know what's wear and tear vs starting like that.

For example, the 6 o'clock marker is squint, and the text on the watch face isn't perfect. Is that because it's a fake or because it's old? No idea :)

You have been able to buy clones of high beat movements for many years now. The Swiss Valjoux 7750 is available as an Asian ETA 7750 for instance with the same 28,8000 vph responsible for the "sweeping" second hand. So even that isn't an indication anymore.

Soldato
That's a fake. There's so much wrong with it!

Oddly, the best place to find out if a watch is fake on the internet seems to be the various replica watch forums. People spend so much time pouring over every last detail and comparing fakes with genuine, many know what to look for even with the most 'accurate' fakes.

Soldato
That Rolex isn't even close to being considered a replica. It's one of those proper fakes you can buy in the street markets all over the world for $30.

Especially in the countries where everyone wears a 'Rolex' whether they live in a cardboard box or marble mansion.

The $80-$120 price bracket gets you one several times better, it's that bad.

I understand replica watches for people who own the real thing and want essentially a day to day stand in or for people in countries where fake watches notably Rolex, Tag or Omega are basically so cheap they are the equivalent of a Casio.

I never got it here though as it's usually really obvious whether it genuinely fits with your lifestyle or not. Most notably the replicas/fakes of the really expensive gold/diamond models.

Associate
Untitled-2.jpg

Slightly late to the party with this but that is a damn fine watch, certainly don’t see many of them around.

Associate
True, I have seen worse “genuine” Rolexes. Check out this “Custom Hulk” - an otherwise reasonable looking 16610 with a truly appalling aftermarket dial and bezel (and also hands by the looks of it)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/253285305080

Sad thing is that was probably a very nice tritium model with some lovely patina before it was butchered like that :( IMO that dial is every bit as bad as the one on the fake earlier in the thread.

Not only that but they’re asking top money for it even though half the parts are aftermarket and Rolex won’t touch it with a barge pole come service time... apparently they have already sold 6 of the things with 138 watchers :eek:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Wifey just gave me this for our anniversary :)

A hybrid smartwatch, never seen one before so still figuring it all out. Very nice though :)

Cn7T2Gp.jpg

Associate
try a DSSD. the sub is too close to the GMT, whereas the DSSD beast is a really different experience. Or maybe an LV if your intent on getting the Sub :)

also which DJ is that? DJ2? like the jubilee strap.

Associate
pAiylM3.jpg

G shock to replace my casio waveceptor ,the radio time control died ages ago now it loses a hour every morning. :rolleyes:

on a side note been looking for a entry level dress automatic tried a Seiko 5 but was too small for me at 36 mm shame it looked really nice, i actually thought it was the womens version when i opened the box :p have 40 mm watch that just suits me so 40 - 45 mm seems my size. there is not much choice online it seems at entry level in uk for automatics.

been trying to source one of these but hard to find. out of stock everywhere abroad US ect..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom