What watch do you wear?

Associate
Adding blue hands to a watch simply for the sake of adding blue hands does not make it a timeless "high horological" design, it makes it (imo, of course) a bad and faddy design choice that has endured and sporadically re-appears, and the world is full of many examples of that. Blue hands does not suit such classically styled watches, and make colour coordination much more difficult.

Blued, not blue. And I said they are seen as - not necessarily actually are.

Associate
Anyone can put blue hands on a watch today, sure and indeed various other colours too via chemicals or paint. But "blueing" involves putting the hands in a flame until they turn that colour, it offers some protection from corrosion as well as looking nice. It also requires some skill to pull off AFAIK.

Thank god someone can read and knows the difference!

To quote from elsewhere ...

"... the process typically involves multiple manual steps and any inconsistency is visible in the finished product. Because of the size and shape difference the three hands must be processed in separate batches (hour hands together, minute hands together, etc.). To get them heat blued is cheap and straightforward. To get all your hands heat blued to the same shade across all hands and all batches requires considerable skill and expense... "

Hence my original comment about high horology which everyone seems to have jumped on.

Soldato
Nice, did you go with an AD?

finally got my PO. 39.5mm very happy with it :)

ETMqHfB.jpg
etu5Nrc[IMG]

Caporegime
Well, I just slightly surprised myself by ordering a new watch from Jomashop (so grey import) for just over a third of the price of rrp in a summer sale... the Oris Artix Pointer Moon 01 761 7691 4051-07 8 21 80 https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-artix-pointer-moon-date/01-761-7691-4051-07-8-21-80

(Photos hosted on my site)

Reasons being:

• I love the watch and the unique and more accurate moon complication (than the usual style)
  • If I need any maintenance it will likely be outside of the 2 year manufacturer warranty anyway and cost a lot less than what I saved by buying grey market
  • For the low price of this version with steel strap I can then get hold of a black and brown leather strap and still be quids in
Looking forward to getting it. :)

Soldato
I have a 2009 Submariner Date that I bought whilst wildly hungover on a road trip.

Had never really worn a watch regularly before that but the shop had a 20% sale on Rolex, and I was young and not particularly thinking straight. Wore it daily for a few years until the glass smashed in an unlikely accident, and then it just sat hidden in my bedroom for five years broken.

My wife made me get it fixed for our wedding last year. I'm somewhat heavier now then when I bought it so had a very awkward conversation at the Rolex office upon collecting it when fixed "I think I might need a link or two added... actually I might need another one added... No, still doesn't fit... another one added please. Go on, one more. " :eek::p

Caporegime
Picked up my new Tudor today, very happy with it.
I assume that is the new fifty-eight or am I mistaken? Helps if you give the model name when you make a post. :)

I also want a smaller BB but the only criticism I have is that the bright red triangle on the top looks a bit too vulgar for my tastes. I would also love a date window (I find them useful).

Soldato
That's very nice. I'd worry about it coming un-clasped the whole time, but it does look a good option.
NATOs are generally regarded as far more secure than standard bracelets/straps and buckles due to the fact that the weakest component in a watch/strap strap assembly are the spring bars. NATOs were designed such that if a spring bar fails, the watch head is still secured to your wrist by the strap and remaining spring bar. If a spring bar fails on a standard bracelet or strap, bye bye to your watch, unless it so happens to be in your pocket at the time (which happened to me on an old Longines on a strap!).

Caporegime
NATOs are generally regarded as far more secure than standard bracelets/straps and buckles due to the fact that the weakest component in a watch/strap strap assembly are the spring bars. NATOs were designed such that if a spring bar fails, the watch head is still secured to your wrist by the strap and remaining spring bar. If a spring bar fails on a standard bracelet or strap, bye bye to your watch, unless it so happens to be in your pocket at the time (which happened to me on an old Longines on a strap!).
And how often do watch straps bar springs fail?

Soldato
And how often do watch straps bar springs fail?
Well, quite! Especially in our (I'm guessing) non military use! But I was responding to Toshj who seemed to feel the NATO would be less secure than his usual bracelet/strap, and just reassuring him that the design is theoretically more secure. But on a modern solid end linked Sub? I'd wager they're pretty bloody secure, and possibly even put less stress on the spring bars than a NATO would. Maybe.

Soldato
I could do with some advice.

I purchased a decent Mondaine about 6 months ago. About a fortnight ago, it stopped randomly for a few hours, then restarted. Then it stopped entirely.

I assumed it might be the battery, but the Mondaine warranty states they don't warrant against the battery. So I took it to get the battery replaced. At the shop, it didn't restart once the new battery was in, they left it for 4 hours.

I took it away on the assumption it was broken, so I could send it off for repair. Then suddenly it's started working again - and has been fine with no stoppages for a week now.

Not sure whether to send it off now whilst it's working fine, or get it looked at by the repair centre that Mondaine use in the UK. It's got a 2 year warranty, so I could wait a bit longer...

Back
Top Bottom