1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What watch do you wear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doran, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Wizardskills

Wise Guy

Not a bumper, this one has the 501 or the 510 in it (can't remember which) so it's a full auto.

The lume on the hour hand has been redone which was the obvious thing (given away but the differing colour lume on the dial). The hands I believe are Omega hands (as shown here http://www.ofrei.com/page764.html). As a rule of thumb, if there is lume on the dial, the hands should be lumed as well.

The crown is the correct style (clover leaf) but it is a service replacement. This is more obvious if you see the face of the crown as it has the newer logo on it but it can also be seen from this angle as the edge next the case isn't flat so it doesn't sit quite flush with the case. The last thing, which is quite hard to tell from pictures is that the crystal has been replaced at some point. The original should have a very small Omega logo on it right in the center. This can be hard to see unless you are viewing the watch at the right angle.

This watch highlights that you have to do your research if you want and an all original watch because at a cursory glance it looks ok. Getting a non original one is a OK too but its good to know what you are buying so you can make sure you are not overpaying.

2. hughtrimble

Mobster

Very informative - thank you!

3. Richdog

Capodecina

Well, I realise that it's not nice to hear, but I have seen and experienced it and know many others that have. Hell, I used to randomly get called a posh twit or a wonker when walking in the Birmingham surrounding areas when just wearing a suit and shoes. The UK has a unique brand of anti-success fuelled for years by declining living standards and tabloid rags like the Daily Mail/Sun etc that fuel resentment by obsessing about people's wealth, assets and whatever it perceives as excess. It's become a cultural tick.

Anyway my bad for diverting from the purity of the thread and engaging in a mini-rant... I'll shut up now. :).

4. Nitefly

Man of Honour

It’s half a jealousy and half a modesty thing.

The ‘hate’ is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. Whenever I see someone wearing these watches, I find myself making the rebuttable presumption that the wearer has ‘more money than sense’. I’d also refrain from wearing one because I’d be too conscious of people making the same presumption. So... that sort of makes me a hater and a wimp? Or people that wear them do have more money than sense? Or nobody really cares.

Really, all that matters is how fun it is to wear (however you wish to measure ‘fun’). Hard pass from me though. I do spend money on other premium products (that I perceive to have more practical value) so I’m not shy of a ‘ridiculous splurge’ from time to time.

5. Richdog

Capodecina

I would argue that it makes far less sense to go out and get bladdered 3x a week like many people do, than it does to buy a Rolex that actually retains value and often even appreciates over time. They are an investment, though of course with a steep initial outlay.

I'm a discreet guy in general who avoids bling and the only reason I bought this, other than I'm in love with the elegant style of the watch, is because it doesn't scream Rolex (I was otherwise going to buy a Jaeger Lecoultre). I would certainly not consider it immodest. :)

6. Rikki

Wise Guy

Crab mentality ...

True though, but its ok for folks to blow a ton of cash on expensive trainers and clothes they can ill afford as thats hip and cool to some ...

7. naefeart

Wise Guy

It is a funny how people perceive others having 'more money than sense'. It's 100% subjective. I often point this out to people at work, who like to make it their business to question me about my expenditure. I don't **** my money up against a wall every weekend, change my car every year to keep up with next door, nor do I take the family to Majorca 6x times a year.

If I wear my watch, no one will notice largely unless I want them to (which I don't). If they do happen to see it and make a presumption about me based on this, well... I think that says more about them tbh. I'm happy with my watch regardless :cool:

8. Bigpops

Mobster

You only think that because they don't appeal to you.

I'm the same with tattoos. I see tattoos on people, and I inevitably think they must be an idiot. My rational side knows that being drawn on has no bearing on someone's mental capacity, and yet I still think it, because I don't see the appeal in the slightest.

9. Pringle W

Capodecina

Cheers for the advice. Certainly I've only looked at one or two and it just so happens that the sellers claim to have a bricks and mortar shop as well which gives me a bit more assurance albeit I've not checked on how truthful that is yet as I've just browsed on my phone. I'll keep an eye out on things but September is an expensive month for me so might delay any possible purchase

10. randomshenans

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Pretty much identical to my vintage Longines manual I got on eBay. Mine is in much better condition on the face though.

11. Janesy B

Caporegime

Got a proper Omega NATO strap for my Seamaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bracelet was always too tight or too loose, NATO makes it perfect for every day wear.

12. NVP

Soldato

My current daily (fathers day present)

[​IMG]
    [Taken with potato note 10]

13. RedMogg

Wise Guy

Where/Who would I see about getting the lume replaced/replenished on my original 1977 Seiko 6309? It was my grandfather's watch from his time in the navy and the only thing of (relative) value he left, so it is very special to me - although I do wear it every day.

Currently on a black NATO strap as the original rubber is starting to grey.

http://imgur.com/gallery/GUz0DlN
    [​IMG]

14. hughtrimble

Mobster

Link doesn't work - I personally would leave it with dead lume anyway.

For anything Seiko, I'd contact Paul at Tempus Watch Mods.

15. Richdog

Capodecina

Oh man, I made the mistake of reading about the Rolex Sky Dweller the other day, and I am now mildly obsessed with it. The movement and engineering is just amazing, it is mechanically so impressively slick that other watch manufacturers can't help but look on in envy, especially at the price point.

Review here https://timeandtidewatches.com/depth-rolex-sky-dweller-comes-earth/

• Annual calendar function with month markers on outside of dial
    • GMT using a an off-centre rotating disc
    • Bezel rotates and is used as a "command dial" to facilitate changing of the various watch functions. Apparently feels like the dial on a safe.
    The only downsides (other the price) is the watch is a pretty large at 42mm wide and 14.5mm high (similar to a Tudor Pelagosand the strap very wide and chunky. Plus with the heavily fluted bezel it's not as discreet as I like in a watch.

Still, the execution of those fuctions is sublime. Beautiful and practical (not taking cost into account) timepiece.

16. NVP

Soldato

Now that ain't too shabby! Never liked Rolex's but always wanted one... that's branding for you hahaha :D

Like this: clicky but in Gold

17. soulhunter123

Gangster

Since we're all computer nerds here (ahem), does nobody have the problem where wearing a watch means constant scraping against your keyboard and/or mouse all day? That's why I don't wear one.

18. NVP

Soldato

Add the double whammy of a Kura/Kara on my right hand and I am that problem.

19. Richdog

Capodecina

If you wear a watch on the opposite hand to your mouse-hand it shouldn't really be a problem. At least it isn't for me!

20. soulhunter123

Gangster

I still find it scrapes on the desk by the keyboard. Maybe I have fat wrists.