1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What watch do you wear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doran, Apr 21, 2008.

1. dink

Hitman

2. ajf

Mobster

Really depends on what style you want?
    The Speedmaster is far more of a ‘sporty’ watch in my mind than the Aqua Terra.
    For me it would have to be the Aqua Terra with the co-axial movements

On a separate point, why is the Speedmaster seen as so special?
    Is it the moon connection that people like?
    I don’t dislike them, but it wouldn’t be at the top of my list.
    Just curious, not wanting to start anything :p

3. dink

Hitman

I like the moon connection, the idea is to hand it down to my daughter one day so to have such a nice connection to such a historical event is one of the appealing factors. I like the design although if there’s a bezel I prefer ceramic, I’m not keen on the painted bezel of the Speedmaster.

Much prefer the design of certain variations of the aqua terra.

Not too keep on the Seamaster, although some of the planet oceans are nice.

4. eviled

Hitman

I've owned a seamaster, and came very close to buying a speedy and that 007 seamaster in the past year, ended up with a zenith el primero instead (a few pages back)

There is quite a large variation in calibres on speedmaster, some even have plastic parts, but they are cheap to fix. Personally I prefer the more the more unusual manufacturers, no omegas on my current wish list

5. SDK^

Capodecina

Indeed - outside of the obvious Omega Seamaster, Speedmaster choices there are some great watches from unusual brands.

This was recently featured in the Watchfinder Youtube channel

Eterna Royal KonTiki Chronograph : £2.5k

[​IMG]

Jump to 6:44

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  6. BIGWEB

Wise Guy

Sent you a message via trust.

7. Mr.Stu

Wise Guy

If you like the aqua terra then you could consider a 2019 Datejust (new model from Basel, with latest movement, updated dial etc). RRP £5300, duty free price £4400. Would hold its value better than the others. This price is for oyster band spec with flat bezel, best for all round.

I'm biased however, picked one up last month, here is a wrist shot.

[​IMG]
    And another. It’s 36mm but wears slightly larger. My wrists are fairly twig like at 6.75”

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. dink

Hitman

Thanks for suggestion, looks real nice although I’m not keen on Rolex watches, plus not too worried about value loss as I doubt I’d ever sell whatever watch I buy. Cheers though!

9. Richdog

Capodecina

Seamasters and Speedmasters are thick watches and not really suitable for women's wrists. When your daughter inherits the watch, the special connection and memory should be YOU, not some special edition watch linked to an event that Omega have been shamelessly milking for years. Get something slim and elegant that will retain value that she can also wear, like a Rolex 34 or 36mm. In the end of you're intending on handing down a watch decades in the future then a classic Rolex has much better long term value than an Omega. :)

10. dink

Hitman

True and good points although I’m not keen on Rolex watches, Speedmaster is off the list now anyway as I don’t want a manual wind watch, I know they do the reduced automatic so may look at that.

Still like the bond aqua terra very much if I can get a mint one for little over 4k which seems realistic, and been looking at the grand seiko heritage GMT although it’s a quartz, maybe I need to look into this more as I’ve always believed if your spending a large sum of money go for automatic watches...

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/colle...-quartz-gmt-heritage-limited-edition-sbgn009g

11. randomshenans

Capodecina

There is no way I'd spend 2.6k on a quartz. My mum bought a Rolex quartz for more, but it's diamond covered, and tbh I still wouldn't have done it if I was her.

12. eviled

Hitman

13. dink

Hitman

That’s absolutely beautiful! Thanks.

14. GSXRMovistar

Sgarrista

Very rarely have all my watches in the same place at one time so grabbed a quick pic of them whilst sorting through a few things.

[​IMG]

15. hughtrimble

Mobster

Love the Sinn. After a 103 myself - what is yours?

And what is the open heart one to the right of the Laco pilot?

16. GSXRMovistar

Sgarrista

103 ST SA on their fine steel strap, some pics of it here https://www.flickr.com/photos/andybakeruk/albums/72157664310721069

The open heart is an Orient Star, Retro Future Camera. IIRC that was the second auto I bought after the orange Mako.

17. hughtrimble

Mobster

Cheers for the info on the Orient.
    You've taken some lovely shots of the Sinn in the album - nice work.

18. Tone1979

Wise Guy

I am adding this in here, I don't wear it but I have never held a watch that has made my heart beat so fast. I am sure someone here will appreciate it.

I was in the Panerai store in London on Saturday to look at the current wares. I said I wasn't buying when I came in and they offered to show me some watches for pleasure.

This was in a display case and having seen a pic on a horology website I commented on how beautiful it was, so over he goes, dons his gloves and get's it out of the case and brings it to me to hold.

[​IMG]

sorry for the potato shot, the light was not meant for taking photos.

It's the Luminor Tourbilon GMT 47mm. when picking it up, the weight was astonishing. It weighs 18g. Think about that.

Astonishing technical achievement.

All for £127,000 inc tax.

19. BeeP

Wise Guy

Whilst I appreciate the technical aspect of the watch......I dont really like it. I'm not sure why really, it just doesn't do it for me.

20. GSXRMovistar

Sgarrista

Thanks, I've taken pics of most of them but need to re-take some of the Retro Future Camera and Orange Mako:-
    A couple of others