What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
No point in leaving it to be artificially worn, just unnecessary wear on the internals.

Leave it, wind it when you want to wear it, job done.
Ditto on this. Watch winders are for convenience when you frequently swap watches in your collection, they shouldn't be used for keeping a watch running for long periods between uses. An automatic watch is mechanical so subject to wear and tear... why accelerate that process unnecessarily?

Man of Honour
Do they really put that much wear on the watch? The one I have bought winds clockwise for 5 minutes, then anticlockwise for 5 minutes. It does this for 3 hours and then rests for 9 hours. It has another mode which is two minutes one way, 6 minute rest and then two minutes the other way followed by a 6 minute rest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do they really put that much wear on the watch? The one I have bought winds clockwise for 5 minutes, then anticlockwise for 5 minutes. It does this for 3 hours and then rests for 9 hours. It has another mode which is two minutes one way, 6 minute rest and then two minutes the other way followed by a 6 minute rest.
It's still wear that wouldn't be wearing on the internals if you just put the watch down and only wound it when you decide to wear it. I don't see the benefit, personally, but if winding it and cycling through the date (if it has one) is that much of a hassle on your Bremont...then get another model that isn't a pain!

Winders make sense when, as Richdog notes, you have several that you change out very frequently. I'd also consider it wise for some older perpetual calendars, simply due to the enormous faff that it can be for some to update to 'today'. Otherwise, I don't get it.

Caporegime
It's still wear that wouldn't be wearing on the internals if you just put the watch down and only wound it when you decide to wear it. I don't see the benefit, personally, but if winding it and cycling through the date (if it has one) is that much of a hassle on your Bremont...then get another model that isn't a pain!

Winders make sense when, as Richdog notes, you have several that you change out very frequently. I'd also consider it wise for some older perpetual calendars, simply due to the enormous faff that it can be for some to update to 'today'. Otherwise, I don't get it.
Ditto on this... if I had a 10-15k perpetual calendar I would also without doubt have one as changing them is a delicate process best avoided unless you can help it.

I bought my latest watch without a date just for the simplicity of not having to change it and even though I sometimes automatically look for the date it hasn't bothered me overly much and has made things much simpler. :)

Soldato
Just arrived yesterday, Dan Henry 1962 Racing Chronograph in blue with date.

y4mWqkGqR_VpSsjoCMFEpGw4iXFhNvBBQ2AT1Uigw_LJo8VAfPaEBzn3Iwgw-2-h1kD2lyAj9WiQpBzV4JWmLIy3KeHJXIzDz2Tb5aushtmxSFOr6GAnifCtgYYGfav5dBc2ENL3dXYcoNYkr2Lp7oYvFzzoLKfejHvsdme0M117gPBNmqvFEzkkgG-hETumfgiw7zR8GGG7myoYYT9lsWbcg

Soldato
Well this is a bit awkward :o

NWjXm8c.jpg

Bought another watch winder in anticipation of my next watch but I usually rotate my current watches week on week off so find it handy to have the winder for the one I'm not wearing.

Associate

I finally managed to pick myself a cheap workhorse watch for when I go cycling/swimming etc. It's the Christopher Ward Trident 300 Royal Ghurka signals editions

Very nice indeed

Last edited:
Caporegime

I finally managed to pick myself a cheap workhorse watch for when I go cycling/swimming etc. It's the Christopher Ward Trident 300 Royal Ghurka signals editions

Very nice indeed

Nice, used to like Christopher Ward as a band but now they've lumped up their prices and changed logo and I've gone right off them. The bezel is making me feel very uneasy too :D

My latest purchase, another cheap quartz to add to the rotation to pick up and not have to worry about setting.

bSA59yR.png

Associate
Yeah. I guess invicta aren't the best make but it has a Seiko movement and looks like a Rolex Submariner. I'm happy with it. I just hope I dont scratch it like my previous watch. If I do I'm saving up for something with a sapphire crystal.

Caporegime
Yeah. I guess invicta aren't the best make but it has a Seiko movement and looks like a Rolex Submariner. I'm happy with it. I just hope I dont scratch it like my previous watch. If I do I'm saving up for something with a sapphire crystal.
What's your budget? I don't see the point in buying a temporary watch that you may scratch, just wait and put the money towards something better and get something super cheap and functional in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom