What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Very happy with it. Really glad I stuck to my guns with the white dial and didn't divert, should hopefully be a watch that styles well with anything and doesn't go "out of fashion" as such.

This is my first Rolex. It's not going to be something I wear every day to begin with. Is a watch winder something I need to think about buying rather than just storing it in the box?

Soldato
Very happy with it. Really glad I stuck to my guns with the white dial and didn't divert, should hopefully be a watch that styles well with anything and doesn't go "out of fashion" as such.

This is my first Rolex. It's not going to be something I wear every day to begin with. Is a watch winder something I need to think about buying rather than just storing it in the box?
Don't bother with the winder, it's just unnecessary wear on the movement. It'll take you no time at all to wind, set the time and date just don't set the date when it's between 21:00-03:00. This is because manually setting the date in this window can damage the auto date changeover as it may be activated between those hours - these days it may be a smaller time window, best check the booklet.

Enjoy! An 80s DJ pinstripe on Jubilee is what got me into watches.

Associate
Picked this up the other day. Always been fond of the Seiko speedtimer but the ice blue dial was hard to resist. I also need to get rid of my older watches I no longer wear but it seems almost impossible to sell other fashion brand watches
Uc8Mv2E.jpeg

ck97ie3.jpeg

Last edited:
Following on from this post, I've finished putting the Seiko SpeedTimer back together. 7017-8000 Daini Flyback Chronograph.

The amplitude settled at around 200 which is about on par for a watch of this vintage (1971), beat error was down to 0.1ms which I'm happy with given my novice abilities (and lack of proper time grapher).

Went with a "less is more" approach this time around. On the case I've only polished the shiny bits, didn't fancy attempting a radial brushing just yet. I may attempt again in time, but I'm happy with the case as is.

New crystal and gaskets, may replace the pushers and springs if I can find a NOS set for reasonable money (not £80 on eBay, douche canoes). Other than that, will let the pics do the talking...

Y9Nhhw9.jpeg

xMYBdPd.jpeg

edit - Just retested the Seiko, that'll do nicely.

8AGJbgI.png

--

This is on the block next. It's my late Grandfather's Baronet, dated some point in the 1950s. It's a 30 jewel, automatic watch that's probably not been serviced since... pfft... 25 years ago maybe? It'll be getting a full strip down, clean and service and the case and crown will be re-plated. New dome, and strap as pictured. Feel up to tackling this one after doing the Seiko. :)

nKX1iX4.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
Rolex AD's are just funny these days, feels like they have gained more power over the pandemic, but now scrambling a little as the market shrivels in the UK. When I was really wanting Milgauss before they went OOP I was advised I'd be looking at a years wait. Now I am not actively looking I get a call every few weeks about the root beer GMT, or dual tone submariners. I am not a grey market flipper, so when I say no they seem genuinely offended.

What are people's opinions on the new carrera chronographs? - I haven't really followed Huer watches for some time, but phwoar its a beauty, the blue especially looks amazing in person.

Soldato
I noticed a fantastic deal on the zenith el Primero at the beginning of the week, 40% off! I think certain models are being discontinued. So I made some enquiries at my local goldsmith's and they just called me to say they have the reverse panda on leather in store for me to try on :)

Always loved this watch, but RRP of £8.5k is way above what I'd be prepared to pay. But at £5k it's very tempting indeed.

Got a slot booked on Friday to try it on.

I've been flirting with the black bay chrono for over a year, but the size and thickness have stopped me pulling the trigger. This watch at 38mm and 12.6mm thick is a much better fit for my skinny wrists :p And for only slightly more money, is a much superior watch.

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed a fantastic deal on the zenith el Primero at the beginning of the week, 40% off! I think certain models are being discontinued. So I made some enquiries at my local goldsmith's and they just called me to say they have the reverse panda on leather in store for me to try on :)

Always loved this watch, but RRP of £8.5k is way above what I'd be prepared to pay. But at £5k it's very tempting indeed.

Got a slot booked on Friday to try it on.

I've been flirting with the black bay chrono for over a year, but the size and thickness have stopped me pulling the trigger. This watch at 38mm and 12.6mm thick is a much better fit for my skinny wrists :p And for only slightly more money, is a much superior watch.
That’s a crazy discount, and slightly worrying for owners who might have paid near retail. Doesn’t particularly instil faith in the residuals!

Fabulous watch though, I’m sure you’ll love it

Soldato
That’s a crazy discount, and slightly worrying for owners who might have paid near retail. Doesn’t particularly instil faith in the residuals!

Fabulous watch though, I’m sure you’ll love it
Yep, that is a crazy amount of discount. Zenith are one of those brands that you'd never pay RRP for though. It's not like Rolex or Omega etc. It's more of a niche brand for enthusiasts.

I was looking at second hand ones previously and they weren't any cheaper than this deal though!

Soldato
What are people's opinions on the new carrera chronographs? - I haven't really followed Huer watches for some time, but phwoar its a beauty, the blue especially looks amazing in person.
I'm not a big fan of tag as a brand in general, I think a lot of their watches are overpriced tat. But I do really like the Carrera. But make sure you get a good discount.

Associate
Rolex AD's are just funny these days, feels like they have gained more power over the pandemic, but now scrambling a little as the market shrivels in the UK. When I was really wanting Milgauss before they went OOP I was advised I'd be looking at a years wait. Now I am not actively looking I get a call every few weeks about the root beer GMT, or dual tone submariners. I am not a grey market flipper, so when I say no they seem genuinely offended.

I've been pining for a Rolex like many for quite some time but I refused to play the games, buying other brands or jewellery to get into the AD good graces or pay grey market prices. It does sound like things have changed a bit based on your experience and others that I've read. I think you did the right thing refusing, flipping morality aside, there are unworn examples on chrono at the moment about a grand over list of rootbeer GMTs, not much profit to be made there other than trying to get into dealers' preferred customer list.

I think I've missed the boat though, I could somewhat man manths justify a Sub when they were £6-7k but they are over £9k for a date and no doubt will hit the £10k plus in the next year or so.

I've thought about an Explorer 40mm or a datejust, I'll maybe venture in next week and see what they say.

Last edited:
Associate
@TheGamingGeneral

I would get yourself down to Goldsmiths, as the Aurum group in general have been pretty good to me. I tend to go to the Liverpool one, though I live in Manchester, as they seem to get less footballer traffic. The GM there is a nice chap and they don't ask for deposits either. Submariner is a gorgeous piece, though a bunch of people own them just get it if you like it. The no-date only has several months wait (You'll usually get it a lot sooner).

Soldato
Being as this has turned into a semi Seiko thread I thought it's time to ask a question.

I have had this Seiko for quite a number of years. It's only battery and cost way less than £100 but I do like the look of it and it fit's my scraggy wrist perfect.
The battery dried up so I thought I will just change it - I didn't put the right glasses on and right next to battery is a small piece of plastic and I broke it -The watch works but chrono bit doesn't.
Anyone go any idea how much I am looking at to get it fixed.

TDBU9F9.jpg

Associate
Being as this has turned into a semi Seiko thread I thought it's time to ask a question.

I have had this Seiko for quite a number of years. It's only battery and cost way less than £100 but I do like the look of it and it fit's my scraggy wrist perfect.
The battery dried up so I thought I will just change it - I didn't put the right glasses on and right next to battery is a small piece of plastic and I broke it -The watch works but chrono bit doesn't.
Anyone go any idea how much I am looking at to get it fixed.

TDBU9F9.jpg
Take a pic of what's broken and post here. Most watch repairers will ask ballpark £60 to even look at a watch. You might be able to persuade one to fix it for sentimental value reasons but it's likely to cost more than the watch is worth. Probably better to find a replacement movement/module and swap it out? Or even a replacement watch...

Back
Top Bottom