What would be the ideal m.2 ssd for my board?

Hi there. I currently use a b450-f gaming motherboard and was wondering what the best m.2 ssd i could get for around £100. Im hoping for a 1tb drive.
Currently using a 480gb sata ssd but needing the extra storage so thinking of having the m.2 as my main drive.
Also would i need a heatsink for the m.2 ssd?

Any advice would be great.

My other parts are 2600x, 1060 6gb, 16gb 3000mhz ram, 600w psu.

WD SN550, SN750 (over 100), ADATA SX8200 pro, Sabrent Rocket (TLC version), Corsair MP400, Patriot Viper VPN100 are all good candidates but in your budget the SN550 or ADATA are probably the only options.

Agreed, the SN550 is getting good reviews, not a conventional implementation in regards to no DRAM, but using the faster SRAM seems to help it keep up with much more expensive drives. and the 1TB can be picked up for under the 100 budget, the Sabrent Rocket is a good call, but likely just over the 100 budget, although worth looking out for because Sabrent are in the process of switching their whole range to PCIe 4.0 models, so some deals may appear on the PCIe 3.0 variants.

Also, quick tip, read and digest the PCIe lane allocation configuration on that board of yours, and be sure to use the best M.2 socket for your needs, and make sure you don't use any linked SATA sockets

thank you's. I found an SN750 1tb that was slightly over £100 but it had just jumped up to £140. I will be buying in about 3 to 4 weeks. I am going to make sure I get a heatsink for the drive.

If I found a gen 4 that was the same price as a gen 3 would it matter what I get even though I can't fully use gen 4?

it shouldn't, the newer pcie 4.0 should be fully backwards compatible, just don't overpay just to get that if your motherboard/cpu wont support it and you have no plans to update.

some, like sabrent seem to be shifting their whole line-up to the latest gen

it shouldn't, the newer pcie 4.0 should be fully backwards compatible, just don't overpay just to get that if your motherboard/cpu wont support it and you have no plans to update.

some, like sabrent seem to be shifting their whole line-up to the latest gen
+1. They are backwards compatible. Tbh I was in the same boat before I bought my current drive (sabrent rocket) but decided its not worth the extra. As it is I dont see massive difference between the nvme and my previous SATA SSD. But I also don't do any video editing or encoding etc. For general gaming I dont feel the difference.

Back
Top Bottom