What would you do?

Caporegime
How many of you would actually get involved in the above scenario and how many would just walk away like so many of the people featured?

This is a common issue with all sorts of situations. It's amazing how people can live next to a family where they can clearly hear one of the family getting beaten on a regular occasion, yet never report it to police. Or you you have someone getting attacked on a bus, with nobody phoning Police let alone intervene.

So, are you going to be part of the bystander effect or do you make a difference?

Most likely a bystander, on account of:

a) the police are more likely to arrest me for intervening because common sense law does not exist.

b) the police probably will probably spend more time interviewing me than the crim

c) the police will probably fail to prosecute the crim

d) the police will probably fail to protect me if I'm a witness

Hope that covers most of the reasons why the public think the police are useless halfwits, through no fault of their own.

Associate
To be thrust into a situation like that with no time to think im not sure how I would react.

If it was 2 people fighting in the street I dont think it would be a good idea to "wade in" and break it up, you might do some good, or you might look down and find a knife stuck in you. Then what?

Soldato
Lol @ the woman hitting the guy with a newspaper!
If I was in that situation I would probably starting bashing the guy on the head with my heavy duty handbag.

Caporegime
Wow, it's amazing how many people walked off, but not particularly surprising these days, in all honesty. People don't seem interested in helping others, even with the slightest things

to be fair its just shock for the initial reaction and then the person probably sees the camera almost straight away.

from the camera angle thats pretty much directly behind them it doesn't seem like they bothered to try and hide it

Permabanned
Firstly I'm surprised nobody has mentioned boxing stance.

Secondly I agree with the poster that you won't know what to do until you are faced with the situation. It is easy for people to post like they're heroes but psychological "fight or flight" will always come into play.

Soldato
HAHA The fire extinguisher dude!

But seriously though, if it was clear the guys were serious then any saneful person would intervene and call the police.

Evidentially not, LOADS of people wouldn't and don't. It's an oddity of human nature, something that's obviously helped us survive in the past.

The bystander affect is a similar one, more extreme in some ways as there are other witnesses. I think videos like this and the bystander ones are good, once people are aware of these quirks in human nature they are probably much less likely to become victim to them.

Man of Honour
I've jumped into things too quickly before and got reprimanded by the police for getting involved. However, I think it's just in my instinct to help or at least do what I can (even if it means calling the police). I think I'd try and do what I can... however every situation is different. Who knows what that guy strangling may be? He might be the crook or the victim who managed to overpower his attacker? It's a tough call - but I'm a guts and instinct over mind sort of person.

Last edited:
Associate
Good on those who had a go, in that situation you would have no idea if the guy might turn his murderous intent on you. I hope I wouldn't be a bystander, with my luck I'll come across something like this that is also set up and mash some poor actor's in the head with my boot with such frenzy because I'd be terrified of his retaliation.

Lol @ the woman hitting the guy with a newspaper!
If I was in that situation I would probably starting bashing the guy on the head with my heavy duty handbag.

"And in other news an assailant is hospitalized after receiving blows from a six-pack of Diamond White" :p

I've jumped into things too quickly before and got reprimanded by the police for getting involved.

In hindsight do you think they were right? Or do you think you were right to intervene, either because someone needed your assistance or because you prevented a situation from escalating?

Man of Honour
I do think I did the right thing. No one got hurt (or more injured) and nothing escalated further. I didn't get charged with anything, and wouldn't have I don't suppose, and I'd probably do it again if the situation lent itself to me being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time. I'm no hero, I'm not a vigilante, and I wouldn't go out of my way to be one them. Someone shouted for help, and sounded and was in distress - I helped as I couldn't ignore it.

Soldato
When I was 17 I was the primary witness in an attempted murder case in Gibraltar. Was on holiday with a friend and went down into the town in the early hours to use the pay phone to call my gf. As I went to the phone a rather large squaddie came bounding around the corner shoving a local and set about repeatedly stamping on his face (I heard cracking :()

I yelled at the guy as I was about 10ft away and he turned and started towards me so I legged it down the road to another pay phone and called the police and ran back yelling that I've called the police and he scarpered. I got back to the victim and I could just hear snoring and blood gurgling in his face :(

That was a fun holiday. Spent all night giving a statement and went back a year later to give evidence in court. Believe the guy got not guilty too :( :(

Permabanned
Not one of those blokes was carrying a keyboard :(

Serious lack of testosterone in that video :o
I'd be nervous if he were standing or had a knife, but just a rope and lying on the floor is asking for a kick to the face.

Much nicer to be a copper in that situation and be ready to react quickly, unlike everyone else who will have ten seconds of panic first.

aln

aln

Associate
This made me think of the "Little Ghost Girl in the Elevator" prank that went a bit wrong...

TjXhAHL.gif

Ahahaha. Why would he do that?

The more I think about it the video is really strange. In that situation I can only imagine doing as much harm as possible to the guy or running and calling the police. Every single person who attacked looked like they didn't want to hurt them where as in reality who'd give the guy a fighting chance?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom