What would you do?

Associate
@Freefaller, Thanks for elaborating, sounds like you did the right thing.

I haven't really had anything like that to contend with. Some time ago I was out in Dublin fairly late walking back from the shops with my mum (a Dubliner herself) when a woman who was arguing with a man approached me but only got so far as saying "Excuse me" before walking away again. She may have changed her mind about asking for help but I couldn't leave it at that so I followed where they had gone off the main streets and found them arguing, but the woman clearly knew the man and was engaged in the argument rather than trying to get rid of him, and though arguing she didn't seem to be in any great distress nor the man particularly threatening so I left them to it.

The funny thing is that in a situation like that it may seem obvious to have asked her if she was ok, but to me it seemed she was sticking with the guy and that an approach from me might have just made things worse.

So I hope that if someone is in need I would intervene, but really, I couldn't say where my limit was.

That was a fun holiday. Spent all night giving a statement and went back a year later to give evidence in court. Believe the guy got not guilty too :( :(

You weren't a witness for the prosecution in the OJ Simpson trial were you?

On a serious note though, that's a really nasty thing to have to witness, I think that would shake anyone quite considerably. Hard to believe an eyewitness wasn't compelling enough testimony.

Soldato
I'd have smacked him over the head with the fire extinguisher. Or at least I'd like to think I would. I'd certainly not ignore it, and I'm not a fighting type.

Man of Honour
To be thrust into a situation like that with no time to think im not sure how I would react.

If it was 2 people fighting in the street I dont think it would be a good idea to "wade in" and break it up, you might do some good, or you might look down and find a knife stuck in you. Then what?

I was once in that sort of situation and I did intervene. Unfortunately, people who attack people in the street are usually quite experienced with violent situations and as a result are usually better at violence than most people. So it turned out badly for me. Could have been worse. He accurately assessed me as no real threat and didn't bother killing or badly injuring me. Humiliating, but better than being stabbed.

Associate
I was once in that sort of situation and I did intervene. Unfortunately, people who attack people in the street are usually quite experienced with violent situations and as a result are usually better at violence than most people. So it turned out badly for me. Could have been worse. He accurately assessed me as no real threat and didn't bother killing or badly injuring me. Humiliating, but better than being stabbed.

Sounds like you were lucky, well not lucky to get whatever you were on the receiving end of, but these days it seems that your not being any threat is no reason not knock you to the floor and stamp on you repeatedly.

Well good on you for intervening where you thought it was needed, do you think you could manage to do so again or has the experience left you more hesitant?

Man of Honour
Sounds like you were lucky, well not lucky to get whatever you were on the receiving end of, but these days it seems that your not being any threat is no reason not knock you to the floor and stamp on you repeatedly.

Well good on you for intervening where you thought it was needed, do you think you could manage to do so again or has the experience left you more hesitant?

More hesitant, certainly. Too much to intervene? Maybe. I don't know. Hopefully I'll never find out.

If I did intervene again, I think I'd probably go in with maximum force immediately using any improvised weapon available. That isn't the best idea in legal and social terms, but it's the best idea in the terms imposed by the situation. Violence is a profoundly uncivilised thing and so civilised standards don't work very well. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Soldato
He has got a rope. No sign of a knife or gun so I would attack him. Running away is what a coward would do in that situation. Yes he (may) have a weapon but it will be of limited use laying on the floor :D

Permabanned
He has got a rope. No sign of a knife or gun so I would attack him. Running away is what a coward would do in that situation. Yes he (may) have a weapon but it will be of limited use laying on the floor :D

He could stab you in the foot leg or balls.

Or throw it into your face or eyeball.

Dead.

Associate
I'd help.

But I don't know whether I'm only saying that as a police officer. Or whether as a civilian i would do the same. Guessing I probably would. But it's hard to say once you've done all the training.

Associate
damn that video is lame -
#1 IMO it could be abuse for the people that see this - I mean could you imagine if your kid saw this happening?
and ya I might go and take out the dude that was 'trying' to kill the other guy and say I kill the one dude then what? Im in jail for a joke?

the last guy videoing it was funny

Associate
Probably call the police at the very least, but honestly couldn't say unless I was faced with the situation - not something you know until you face it (and I haven't thankfully :p)

Soldato
Much nicer to be a copper in that situation and be ready to react quickly, unlike everyone else who will have ten seconds of panic first.

I know of times where cops have bottled it as well. Being a cop doesn't give you some kind of implant making you immune to fear/self preservation. Granted they are more likely to react quickly due to being in similar situations but the same could be said for a boxer or MMA fighter.

Caporegime
I've stepped in to break up fights and stop assaults before, I like to think I'd do it again without hesitation.

Insert some sarcastic internet keyboard comment.

Back
Top Bottom