What would you do?

Soldato
My nephew bought a new Samsung Tablet and in doing so was able to order a free set of Galaxy FE buds via Samsung promotion.

He applied for the buds.

Well, after a couple of days he decided to return the tablet.

Today, he tells me, Samsung have sent him those free buds! He feels guilty now.

I told him to contact Samsung and tell them about the return of the tablet.

Would you just keep the buds or send them back?

Associate
I agree that it was the right thing to do.

Although I’m actually shocked they were sent out so quickly - usually these kinds of things take forever to process!

Soldato
Its theft though...its dishonesty..
How is it theft?

Purchasing the tablet entitled him to a free gift, of which was claimed during ownership of the tablet. Just because he decided to not keep the tablet doesn't mean his entitlement to that free gift for the original purchase goes away.

Credit to his strong moral compass, but unless there is some term of service or clause in accepting the free gift, he has nothing to feel guilty over, and saying "but but but it's dishonest and stealing" is an unwarranted nonsense. I hope you didn't tell him this, sounds like it would make his guilty conscience worst.

Associate
They usually expect you to return everything to get your refund. Wasn't this way a few years ago though. Doesn't help that a lot of their free gifts can come weeks after the main product a lot of the time.

Soldato
OP
How is it theft?

Purchasing the tablet entitled him to a free gift, of which was claimed during ownership of the tablet. Just because he decided to not keep the tablet doesn't mean his entitlement to that free gift for the original purchase goes away.

Credit to his strong moral compass, but unless there is some term of service or clause in accepting the free gift, he has nothing to feel guilty over, and saying "but but but it's dishonest and stealing" is an unwarranted nonsense. I hope you didn't tell him this, sounds like it would make his guilty conscience worst.

I guess we are all different. Some have higher morals than others.

Soldato
I fail to see how accepting a gift is a question of morality. Or even why bother asking the question of "what would you do" if you're going to implicitly question the morality of others if their response differs from yours.

It's really not that deep: he was entitled to a set of earbuds for purchasing the tablet. If he feels uncomfortable for whatever reason keeping those earbuds after sending the tablet back then just return the earbuds. If a condition of that gift is keeping the tablet then he must return the earbuds, so there is no decision to make.

Ultimately the conundrum is his. I personally think he's overthinking it, but just send them back if it's bothering him. Talk of theft and morality is just nonsense.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I fail to see how accepting a gift is a question of morality. Or even why bother asking the question of "what would you do" if you're going to implicitly question the morality of others if their response differs from yours.

It's really not that deep: he was entitled to a set of earbuds for purchasing the tablet. If he feels uncomfortable for whatever reason keeping those earbuds after sending the tablet back then just return the earbuds. If a condition of that gift is keeping the tablet then he must return the earbuds, so there is no decision to make.

Ultimately the conundrum is his. I personally think he's overthinking it, but just send them back if it's bothering him. Talk of theft and morality is just nonsense.

I rest my case!

Associate
It sounds like guilt compelled him to tell someone about it, which I think is great. If I were in his situation , I would probably keep the buds because I don't think this is actually theft from a legal standpoint. But if I were advising a younger person, I would not want them to do something that felt like they are stealing/doing the wrong thing, so I would encourage them to contact Samsung or maybe talk to them about it more and ultimately encourage them to act on what they think is right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom