What's causing the CTD/Bluescreens

Cheers. :)

Going on the 'swap your mem' suggestion, here's the results of the testing.

Memory stick (1) in Slot 1: Ok Boot/Ok Game (Gametime 45 mins)

Memory stick (1) in Slot 2: Ok Boot/Ok Game (Gametime 45 mins)

Memory stick (1) in Slot 3: Ok Boot/CTD Game (Gametime 30 mins)

Memory stick (2) in Slot 3: Ok Boot/Ok Game (Gametime 1hr 10mins)

Hunch at this point...

Inserts Mem (1) into slot 2 with (2) in slot 3 (Dual Channel again): Ok Boot but BSOD with sound loop after 90mins.

I reckon this is fairly inconclusive and I still don't think this is a memory/slot issue.

Time to reformat/reinstall me thinks... :(

Format/reinstall is overdue anyway so probably worth a try at least. If anything, the fragmented files (19%) can't be helping matters. :(

Other things's I've considered:

Although the memory is designed to run at CAS 2, could I make it run at 2.5 or even 3? Would that affect performance significantly?

What if I adjust the page file?

Currently:

pgef.jpg

What about sytem restore? On or Off?

For the pagefile, it should always be set to around 1.5x the amount of RAM you have. I would turn System Restore off, it hogs resources and isn't much use.

Did the format help matters? Have you checked the voltages from your PSU? Just a thought...

caister said:
I normally turn it off. Have you tested your harddrives? Its worth a go because thats what it sounds like to me!!!
Cheers.

Any suggestions for a good utility that runs in Windows? :)

Not tried the format yet - but it's coming soon! :D

well maxtor has a utility on its site but it runs much like memtest does off of a dik when you first boot. You want to leave your memory on cas 2 if thats the speed its supposed to run otherwise you may notice a hit in performance. I would personally try a reinstall now sound slike youve pretty much done everything else.

Well im edging a bet towards it being an issue with heat, your drivers or your motherbaord.

Trying reseating everthing reapply thermal paste etc. Check your motherbaord coolers are set correctly and that all your fans are working correctly etc.

Download all the latest windows updates, drivers, and check to see if there is a new bios for your board.

Finally make sure nothing is overclocked maybe consider resetting the bios and setting it up from scratch.

After that im not really sure where to go from there. Im quickly running out of ideas! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers. :) Again, we're in the realms of last resort!

What about the PCI/Busmastering? On of off?

I'm not confident it's a heat issue: Tomb Raider: Legend CTD'd (consistently) within the first couple of minutes. SWBFII (cranked way high) lasted anything up to two hours.

It occasionally crashes when in Windows too. So it can't be heat.

I'd try a new bios but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
Yeah if games are lasting a few hours then it may not be heat. Heat can cause crashes in windows though. Not sure what pci/busmastering is i would leave it at default or type it in google to find out what it does and what setting you need it at.

Righty-ho!...

Settings:

CPU Core Voltage: 1.65v
DDR SDRAM Voltage: 2.6v
Chipset Voltage: 1.6v
AGP Voltage: 1.5v

PSU Actuals (fluctuations etc):

CPU: 1.63 to 1.64v
VCC Voltage: 2.64v
I/O Voltage: 3.28 to 3.34v
+5: 5.02 to 5.05v
+12: 11.97 to 12.03v
-12: 12.11 to 12.19
-5: 5.5v
3.3 Dual Voltage: 3.56 to 3.58v

I also noticed that the SATA Controller was enabled and SATA RAID ROM was enabled also - I take it it won't hurt to disable them (I use IDE)?

PCI Latency Timer: 32 Clock(s)

Phew! All cyrillic to me - but you guys might have an idea! :) :)

EagleOC said:
DDR SDRAM Voltage: 2.6v
Ding! Ding! Ding!

This memory should be running at 2.75v.

I'm having a similar problem with my memory (actually why i first looked in this thread), where it hangs randomly and fails memtest. I noticed on corsair's site today it needs 2.75v and I'm running at 2.6.

I won't be able to try it on my system until tonight, but hopefully it'll work for you.

edit:
PDF Spec Sheet

Last edited:
Spunkey said:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

This memory should be running at 2.75v.

I'm having a similar problem with my memory (actually why i first looked in this thread), where it hangs randomly and fails memtest. I noticed on corsair's site today it needs 2.75v and I'm running at 2.6.

I won't be able to try it on my system until tonight, but hopefully it'll work for you.

edit:
PDF Spec Sheet
Maybe - but it doesn't explain why my system with the old 512 sticks (Adata 400DDR PC3200 512Mb) had exactly the same crashing problems...

Still, it's one to try. :) I'll let you know the results.

Got the link for that site? :) [edit: seen]

Last edited:
...or perhaps not....

I changed the voltage to 2.7 (the only increment the BIOS would allow) and I was able to play for 10 mins before it rebooted. Hmm. Rebooted - that's not happened before...

It was also on a continual reboot too. It would get just past the Welcome screen and into Windows then reboot continuously. So the voltage is now back down to 2.6...

Grrrr. :(

Back
Top Bottom