What's causing the CTD/Bluescreens

And here's the result:

Tomb Raider: Legend usually crashed within 45-60 seconds (every time without fail). Now I can get at least an hour+ out of it. Next Gen graphics are great! :D

Yes, it does still crash but in a different way now (black screen but with sound and game engine still apparently running) which I'm confident this time will be a graphics card driver issue (currently running 84.43s). I'll try to get the error report next time.

Sound hardware acceleration is still at full tilt with the onboard sound so I've yet to explore that option.

Oh, and I've yet to patch it. :)

We're getting there.

And ** World will be getting a returned POS sound card tomorrow. :mad:

I'll keep yuz up to date with progress - cheers!

Last edited:
A 2 hours sesh later and Tomb Raider: Legend is running fine with all settings maxxed-out. :D

...all is well with not a crash in sight! :)

We got there in the end - thanks for everyones help! :)

caister said:
Well i bet none of us saw that coming with it being the sound card thats causing the problems!! Glad you got there in the end mate.

Spoke too soon - the problem is back with a vengeance... :(

Latest things I've tried:

ADSL Modem off
Turned off fast writes
PCI Latency 64
AGP Latency to 64
x4 AGP
RAM CAS Latency to 2.5
Disabled Serial Ports in BIOS
Changed Mouse from PS2 to USB Connection
Tried a myriad Video drivers

I think there's little else I can do now but replace the mobo... or the PSU.

Anyone agree?

Hi, I would say that it is the mobo as I can't really see the PSU giving that type of error. If you can get hold of another PSU to try then try, but does sound like the mobo gone bad.

Also have you managed to check the HD yet, as you could still have a dying HD.

Thanks. I'm beginning to think it's the mobo myself too. :)

I'm looking for a replacement NF7-S v2.0 (new if poss) - any ideas?

I'd love to test the HD but I just can't burn the PowerMax.iso to CD and make it bootable.

See above...

Ok, managed to get it burned and it recognised the sofware - but then says (in DOS):

No swap space!
A:\
A:\

Hi, you ain't got a floppy disk drive laying around that you can add to your machine to make the bootable floppy disc, as that would enable you to boot from floppy's as an alternative.

Anthony

Yeah, I have (somewhere) now that I think of it. :) I'll do that later just as a matter of course.

Well, this is the latest: I tried some games with the rheostat cranked up on the CPU cooler and, so far, no crashes. I'm unsure why there appears to be both a sound issue and, possibly, an overheating issue but maybe the CPU just needs a hand to push through all the modern day high-end processes...

... to be continued... ;)

Back
Top Bottom