What's going to happen to the car market?

Associate
I thought like most that the bottom would fall out of the market. However I can tell you prices are firming and going up. I sold nine cars during lockdown.

It’s a sideline to my main car parts business and I have never known a period like it. I know other dealers that have also done very well.

What does that mean? Well used car sellers are flush with cash but here comes the catch. Most dealers by cars from auctions like BCA, Mannheim, etc. These auction houses have been shut which means dealers could not replenish stock but need to.

Auction prices for cars as these houses have opened have been frankly ridiculous and I’ve even spoken to one dealer who said screen prices need to increase on the cars he is selling as his phone was red hot with enquires.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
My dads sold 4 cars during lockdown, all in the range from 2-5k. Typically he sells a car a month. Ive been surprised with the demand he's had for old family diesels. He even sold his merc C class (11 plate c200 Manual!), and he's been trying to sell that for 7 months.

Ive been surprised byt the demand he's had from the free sites, they have been better than Ebay. Gumtree, FB and Schpock. Out of 10 people you get 6 time wasters, but thats par for the course in the car game nowadays. Its a shame as i was hoping the bottom would fall out of the market and my dad would actually retire, he's 65 now and should be doing engine rebuilds :p

Soldato
I thought like most that the bottom would fall out of the market. However I can tell you prices are firming and going up. I sold nine cars during lockdown.

The impact is not going to be immediate. Come back in December and tell us how things are once furlough is ended and the redundancies really kick in.

Associate
My dads sold 4 cars during lockdown, all in the range from 2-5k. Typically he sells a car a month. Ive been surprised with the demand he's had for old family diesels. He even sold his merc C class (11 plate c200 Manual!), and he's been trying to sell that for 7 months.

Ive been surprised byt the demand he's had from the free sites, they have been better than Ebay. Gumtree, FB and Schpock. Out of 10 people you get 6 time wasters, but thats par for the course in the car game nowadays. Its a shame as i was hoping the bottom would fall out of the market and my dad would actually retire, he's 65 now and should be doing engine rebuilds :p

Hi, my dad has been trying to sell his S Class for a long time... What free websites are you refering to that your dad has done well from?

Soldato
I have been following some Ferrari prices recently and two cars I was looking at actually went up over 5k this week... the factory is shut until September . There’s no new coming in so no part exchanges either .

I buy and sell plant for a living ( diggers ) and May was my second best month on record in 8 years... some cheap money being given out by BJ and his team. But we face issues where supply of new machines is non existent so finding used is very hard. Those coming to buy and asking for the best price are being told it’s what it’s up for and they are paying it

Soldato
A guy at work shopping for motorbikes has noticed their prices going up too. Used ones that is.

Exotic/collectable/classic stuff seems to be going up quite quickly. I guess people who have been stuck at home for the last few months have decided **** it, they aren't going to die before having some fun :p

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I have been following some Ferrari prices recently and two cars I was looking at actually went up over 5k this week... the factory is shut until September . There’s no new coming in so no part exchanges either .

I buy and sell plant for a living ( diggers ) and May was my second best month on record in 8 years... some cheap money being given out by BJ and his team. But we face issues where supply of new machines is non existent so finding used is very hard. Those coming to buy and asking for the best price are being told it’s what it’s up for and they are paying it

Yeah 458’s are slim on the ground as your finding out trying to buy one with a nice spec.

Im watching GT3’s and they seem to be coming down, cheapest is now 80k but it’s a LHD but there is quite a few for sale and plenty of white ones and I’m thinking white red or blue.

I know you want a 458 and don’t blame you at all it’s why I own one but 488’s are really starting to drop now and lots for sale bet you could get a real bargain there if someone took a cheeky offer but my advice stick to your guns and get the 458, I’ve being contemplating the Speciale as such I’d be selling mine but if I go Speciale I can’t have a GT3 and it seems it’s forbidden to drive a Speciale as they seem so mileage sensitive but they are really dropping price too but I’d rather own a 458 and GT3 that I can drive as much as I want rather than just a Speciale and fear about losing a tonne of cash.

Hearing about a few 570S now trading around 70k that’s so much car for the money now.

Soldato
Yeah 458’s are slim on the ground as your finding out trying to buy one with a nice spec.

Im watching GT3’s and they seem to be coming down, cheapest is now 80k but it’s a LHD but there is quite a few for sale and plenty of white ones and I’m thinking white red or blue.

I know you want a 458 and don’t blame you at all it’s why I own one but 488’s are really starting to drop now and lots for sale bet you could get a real bargain there if someone took a cheeky offer but my advice stick to your guns and get the 458, I’ve being contemplating the Speciale as such I’d be selling mine but if I go Speciale I can’t have a GT3 and it seems it’s forbidden to drive a Speciale as they seem so mileage sensitive but they are really dropping price too but I’d rather own a 458 and GT3 that I can drive as much as I want rather than just a Speciale and fear about losing a tonne of cash.

Hearing about a few 570S now trading around 70k that’s so much car for the money now.

cheers, 458s have not moved at all if anything they have gone up. I am not sure it will change either given there is so few around. I don’t really fancy a 488 given the engine , infact if I was to open up the turbo option I would end up with a whole host of other cars in the list. I like the 458 for what it is last nasp v8, real nice looking still, semi modern and likely to be a classic in the future. The production run numbers are lower the the 488 too.

Every time I see a speciale or a pista they are lovely, serious motors but the not being able to drive it is enough of a no no for me, what’s the blooming point .

I viewed this yesterday morning
https://preowned.ferrari.com/en/gb/search/2012/ferrari/458_italia/2012_ferrari_458_italia-meridien_modena_ltd-ZFF67NHC000185796

I quite like the spec ( factory roof etc , painted diffuser to match) the interior is a nice place to be it’s a little grey but with class and then another Ferrari dealer Jct600 has one with 6000 miles and 1 owner from new, it’s one of the cars that went up in price this week. Anyhow if you didnt see people on piston heads said they are too dear.
My issue is they don’t look it compared to others out there maybe a few grand main dealer tax but otherwise about on the money. Or am I missing a trick

OcUK Staff
cheers, 458s have not moved at all if anything they have gone up. I am not sure it will change either given there is so few around. I don’t really fancy a 488 given the engine , infact if I was to open up the turbo option I would end up with a whole host of other cars in the list. I like the 458 for what it is last nasp v8, real nice looking still, semi modern and likely to be a classic in the future. The production run numbers are lower the the 488 too.

Every time I see a speciale or a pista they are lovely, serious motors but the not being able to drive it is enough of a no no for me, what’s the blooming point .

I viewed this yesterday morning
https://preowned.ferrari.com/en/gb/..._italia-meridien_modena_ltd-ZFF67NHC000185796

I quite like the spec ( factory roof etc , painted diffuser to match) the interior is a nice place to be it’s a little grey but with class and then another Ferrari dealer Jct600 has one with 6000 miles and 1 owner from new, it’s one of the cars that went up in price this week. Anyhow if you didnt see people on piston heads said they are too dear.
My issue is they don’t look it compared to others out there maybe a few grand main dealer tax but otherwise about on the money. Or am I missing a trick

That is a very nice car and seems priced right but maybe offer them 135k on it and see if they are willing to move, it is a well spec car and as you’ve witnessed though no car is depreciation proof 458’s with a good spec are a safer place to put your money and to me a lot more fun than a 488.

Soldato
That is a very nice car and seems priced right but maybe offer them 135k on it and see if they are willing to move, it is a well spec car and as you’ve witnessed though no car is depreciation proof 458’s with a good spec are a safer place to put your money and to me a lot more fun than a 488.

They have moved to 139k for me with the red headers re crinkled as its peeling.. TBH they wouldn't budge beyond £140k but since i spent 5 hours in the car going to see it they know im serious punter I can feel them looking for the business now which is a plus

The spec i ended up wanting was as much carbon as possible in the interior, buckets, ideally a colored roof, sub 20k. What ideally i wanted was carbon front blades in the bumper and a carbon rear bumper although the rear bumper doesn't matter to much . This is all factory colored roof, same sills and the rear diffusser is painted, it was a factory spec car so the red on the carbon was only available there, it is however just a sticker.

Their pictures dont do it justice imo, that said i just looked at your thread and now cant decide on the seats.. what do you think a bit grey (charcoal), seeing your yellow really opened my eyes to how flat the red is... I just couldn't do yellow at the moment (sorry) and all the greys are a bit meh, black is nice. The grey seats i can live with its a nice place to be but ultimately i would rather black. Also i would rather non diamond cut wheels but can always look at that

Untitled by Ross c, on Flickr
Untitled by Ross c, on FlickrUntitled by Ross c, on Flickr

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
They have moved to 139k for me with the red headers re crinkled as its peeling.. TBH they wouldn't budge beyond £140k but since i spent 5 hours in the car going to see it they know im serious punter I can feel them looking for the business now which is a plus

The spec i ended up wanting was as much carbon as possible in the interior, buckets, ideally a colored roof, sub 20k. What ideally i wanted was carbon front blades in the bumper and a carbon rear bumper although the rear bumper doesn't matter to much . This is all factory colored roof, same sills and the rear diffusser is painted, it was a factory spec car so the red on the carbon was only available there, it is however just a sticker.

Their pictures dont do it justice imo, that said i just looked at your thread and now cant decide on the seats.. what do you think a bit grey (charcoal), seeing your yellow really opened my eyes to how flat the red is... I just couldn't do yellow at the moment (sorry) and all the greys are a bit meh, black is nice. The grey seats i can live with its a nice place to be but ultimately i would rather black. Also i would rather non diamond cut wheels but can always look at that

Untitled by Ross c, on FlickrUntitled by Ross c, on Flickr

I got lucky with mine as I dislike Modena yellow because like the reds it is flat. The triple yellow is very rare as it was a 17k paint option.

The flat reds do look good though, but the metallic reds are stunning especially fuoco

Not sure on grey interior I guess it’s fair to say black is nicer but not sure it’s a deal breaker.

Wheel colour is not worry as changing wheel colour is very easy.

Notice it’s also got carbon engine bay which is nice.

Soldato
I got lucky with mine as I dislike Modena yellow because like the reds it is flat. The triple yellow is very rare as it was a 17k paint option.

The flat reds do look good though, but the metallic reds are stunning especially fuoco

Not sure on grey interior I guess it’s fair to say black is nicer but not sure it’s a deal breaker.

Wheel colour is not worry as changing wheel colour is very easy.

Notice it’s also got carbon engine bay which is nice.

Ah thats why your car pops, its stunning. I am unsure if to wait (i really dont want to and i dont forsee to many to pop up in the network)

The carbon bay is not factory it seems but il take it anyway

Just the interior holding me up i just worry at resale it will look old like old greys can

The car that does work for me is this
https://www.jct600.co.uk/used-cars/...uto-coupe-red-automatic-petrol/id-1323531002/
1 owner 7000 miles but it was 144k and now its 148k... i assume 10000 miles is worth 4k extra if it came for the 143k it was up for. Not as much spec but the owners etc could add value

edited to say the sales man replied and said hes confident he could do it for the £143950 it was up for originally

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Ah thats why your car pops, its stunning. I am unsure if to wait (i really dont want to and i dont forsee to many to pop up in the network)

The carbon bay is not factory it seems but il take it anyway

Just the interior holding me up i just worry at resale it will look old like old greys can

The car that does work for me is this
https://www.jct600.co.uk/used-cars/...uto-coupe-red-automatic-petrol/id-1323531002/
1 owner 7000 miles but it was 144k and now its 148k... i assume 10000 miles is worth 4k extra if it came for the 143k it was up for. Not as much spec but the owners etc could add value

edited to say the sales man replied and said hes confident he could do it for the £143950 it was up for originally

Prefer that car a lot more the exterior colour pops more and the wheels work better too.

The only negative and it is really nit picking is the seats are all leather instead of the leather / suede combo but when your spending 150k you have gotta love the car and it has to be perfect you really can’t have any regrets.

Don’t worry about carbon stuff as I’ve said it before Italia’s look cleaner without it and the big reason why people like Italia so much is the amazing clean looks which were lost when 488 cake along and of course the awesome noise was lost and if carbon is a must you can always add it via Ferrari at a later date for wallet breaking price or just get Chinese copies.

Back
Top Bottom