What's the best alternative to Google Audio Chromecast ?

Soldato
No to be fair. But I'm extrapolating the situation as it's my main way to play music (GPM > CCA > Amplifier)

Yeah that's fine but like I said it's a drop in quality. Who knows if it'll be noticeable or not but still, the points stands.

I don't know how you'd improve on that. The device streams straight from the internet. There's no bluetooth involved so there's no loss of quality there.

Soldato
I don't know how you'd improve on that. The device streams straight from the internet. There's no bluetooth involved so there's no loss of quality there.
But when my CCA breaks and there's no more available to buy (because it's discontinued) what's my alternative? That's my point... Everyone else is suggesting Alexa via BT and that's just not as good.

Soldato
The Yamaha Musiccast (WXD or something) is an option. Not quite £20 cheap but it's not extortionate.

Although for me i'm not sure i can hear the difference between streaming over BT and playing FLAC from my Raspberry pi. At least not enough to be bothered.

Associate
I wish I had bought 100 chromecasts this time last year. They are all going for silly money on ebay at the moment, even second hand they are going for £45-£60 at the moment. Just one would have done me as I'm looking for one at the moment too. I have an old, but decent ipod dock that I would like to use one with. Bluetooth drops out to often as I move about with my phone and stops for calls and notifications which is annoying. There is a knockoff one on amazon made by "Docooler" but it has some pretty poor reviews, and actually costs more than the item it's ripping off. It's looking like getting a new speaker with the ability to cast built in is going to be the best option which is annoying as I didn't really want to spend that much.

Dave

Soldato
There's a little single board computer (think Raspberry Pi) which is wi-fi equipped and has a 3.5mm jack. Small enough to stick on the back of a speaker etc, and about £10 IIRC. Will try and dig out a link .

Soldato
I'm a bit hopless with programming and stuff but please tell me what the audio hat is :) .
The hat is just a little daughter board that sits on the Pi and adds the 3.5mm jack etc. The Pi runs a desktop Linux package. There will be guides or even premade software packages so maybe a little config. Text file editing but no proper programming :)

Soldato
But when my CCA breaks and there's no more available to buy (because it's discontinued) what's my alternative? That's my point... Everyone else is suggesting Alexa via BT and that's just not as good.
Anyone suggesting Alexa isn’t suggesting Bluetooth, it’s WiFi and audio via 3.5mm to your own speakers.

Associate
I was just looking at that. I think it would, but then it's just more boxes, wires and cost. You could almost get a second hand chromecast audio for the same cost! I'm looking at £30 for a chrome cast and 15-20 for a cheapo hdmi audio splitter. For where I was going to use it for the wifi is weak so I was going to use one of those £12 chromecast ethernet adapters. So about £60 spend, 3 devices and a ton of cables. I'm thinking cheap (aprox £100) speaker with cast/airplay ability will be a neater and easier solution.

Dave

Soldato
I wish I had bought 100 chromecasts this time last year. They are all going for silly money on ebay at the moment, even second hand they are going for £45-£60 at the moment. Just one would have done me as I'm looking for one at the moment too. I have an old, but decent ipod dock that I would like to use one with. Bluetooth drops out to often as I move about with my phone and stops for calls and notifications which is annoying. There is a knockoff one on amazon made by "Docooler" but it has some pretty poor reviews, and actually costs more than the item it's ripping off. It's looking like getting a new speaker with the ability to cast built in is going to be the best option which is annoying as I didn't really want to spend that much.

Dave
I sold a spare one a few weeks back. I bought it used for £20 about 2 years ago and it sold for about £60.

Soldato
streaming radio, is having top quality really much of an issue in this case?
yes - BBC gives 320kb/s aac live streaming ... some good podcast from radio6&live-glastonbury to keep,
so better than many streaming services - some good 'HD' international stations too

you can get airplay/dnla audiocast receivers from aliexpress, with similar quality/cost/form-factor to CCA - RIP

the CCA commands good money because they sound good
... after a previous thread discussing echo link, too, that, had a bad review on whathifi ... that's rare.... it's got to be bad.

Associate
Glad I stocked up last year. I've got 4 of them. 2 currently in use and plan on using the other 2 once an extension has been built.

They were only £20 each new.

Back
Top Bottom