• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What's the procedure for updating your GPU from Nvidia to AMD?

Associate
I took a Nvidia GTX 570 out of my system yesterday and I'll be taking delivery of an AMD 7970 tomorrow. I'm currently using the onboard graphics on my 2500k/Gene-Z. What's the procedure I need to follow regarding drivers?

Is it okay to uninstall the Nvidia drivers now (considering I'm using onboard) and then just plug my 7970 in tomorrow and install the drivers from AMD's website?

Associate
OP
uninstall the nvidia drivers,then do a sweep of driversweeper to remove any nvidia drivers left behind,then install your 7970 and install the drivers

Seems simple enough. I'll just uninstall using Nvidia uninstaller, then boot in safe mode and select 'Nvidia Display' and 'Nvidia PhysX' in Driversweeper, then the rest...

Thanks guys.

Soldato
kissenger said:
I can't wait. I got the Gigabyte Windforce edition. I reckon if I get a nice overclock on it I might be looking at 60FPS on ultra in BF3 at 1440p :eek:
Funnily enough, I've ordered one today... I think we have met somewhere else lol. :)

Caporegime
A non destructive install is a lot quicker to reinstall windows without losing your files.

A destructive install is something someone without knowledge would ask!

Oh you're talking about a Windows reinstall?

Again I've never heard of it referred to as a "non-destructive" install.

People generally talk about a repair install, or a clean install. That's how MS refer to it in all their documentation.

I thought we were talking about installing drivers only, so when you started using words like destructive without qualifying what you were talking about (OS reinstall), I had no idea what you were on about!

And I work in IT...

Caporegime
So its basicly using the Upgrade to Windows 7 function on a system already running Windows 7? Never seen or heard anyone doing that before. Might try it sometime :p

It is great if you are having problems and can't pinpoint what it is. It strips windows to the basic and keeps all files in tact and you just need to do the updates. Very handy :)

Back
Top Bottom