Whats wrong with EPIC?

Soldato
Been seeing some people here **** off epic store/launcher without a reason and wondering why?

I have been using it since november last year and all my games bought from it work fine on multiple machhines, from desktops to laptops playing games like outerworld and shenmue 3 without a probem?!?!?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is a big epic thread where you will find your answers.

For me I stay away from them as they started all this exclusivity crap with games, their launcher is nowhere near as good as steam where I have all my games and prefer to keep to a single launcher.

I did not even bother installing the epic launcher to get the free games. End of the day I don’t even have the time to play my paid for games, let alone free one’s.

I played outer worlds for £1 on Microsoft’s store which is already installed on windows anyways and Shenmue 3 turned out to be crap unfortunately. Lucky for me I got my money back from the Kickstarter campaign :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's no different to ubi or origin having exclusives though
It is different. They go out of their way to pay devs to make it exclusive. Origins exclusives are due to the games being made by EA who own Origin, at least as far as I know anyway.

I don’t even use Origin. Used to use them to play FIFA years ago. I just prefer all my games in one place and Steam is by far the best launcher.

Only other launcher I recall installing is battlenet but that is only when I fancy playing Starcraft which is not often. When done it gets uninstalled.

Associate
Never had a problem with Epic either.
Doesn't just limiting to what you can get on Steam rule out being able to play some games? Big titles too. I know the reported issue that if you used Epic you were basically giving your PC to 'the Chinese' but I'm not sure Ubi, Origin, Blizzard etc are really secret squirrels for a foreign power.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
EPIC is funded by Tencent, who just happen to be big/massive on censorship back home in China, Heaven knows what you are installing with them bad boys behind it, Same goes for any other launcher i guess but i would sooner have a western value spy overlord looking after me than a Chinese one :)

Caporegime
EPIC is funded by Tencent, who just happen to be big/massive on censorship back home in China, Heaven knows what you are installing with them bad boys behind it, Same goes for any other launcher i guess but i would sooner have a western value spy overlord looking after me than a Chinese one :)

this is probably the main reason also many people dont like change and see steam as your friend. steam has marketed itself brilliantly over the years but in the last year or so losing out to epic. epic tbh have done a great job tbh. they give away lots of games to people for free obviously for business reasons but even so your getting good games for free to play. steam have been slipping and also losing out to epic who are regularly getting exclusives now. which if it happens to be one of your wanted games you probably going to crumble and try epic. so hopefully steam wake up and start getting better and more competitive.

Soldato
No Remote Play
No Remote Play on TV
No Achievements
Community
Market Place
Workshop
Trading Cards (not for everyone)
Custom Profile
Remote play together
VR Mode
DS4 controller support
Big Picture mode

Epic Store has none of them, rumours of Chinese Spyware has never been proven, I do not respect Epics money hatting exclusives but the games Epic buys up for 6 - 12 months generally come to other platforms , for me its the launcher is just absolutely terrible and I just don't want to buy my games from the store so I don't want to use it, as a consumer you're entitled to pick and choose where you buy your products, some like Epic, some use it to get the game they want, and some won't use it and for me I don't want to use it.

Associate
Only have two issues with Epic is paid exclusives, and the fact that there's nothing on there I want apart from satisfactory, but paid exclusive so not that bothered

Soldato
I don't mind a stand alone launcher like tarkov but can't be doing with origin, ubi etc etc. I just wait until it is available on steam.

You'll happily install a launcher for a single game, but a launcher for multiple games is a step too far? :confused:

I don't use Steam personally, just Origin, Uplay, MS Store, GOG.

Soldato
OK, depending on who you ask, you'll get a variety of answers. But in short:

- Simplistic launcher next to the competition
- funded by Tencent, known for their Chinese government connection and extremely dubious privacy practices
- Trying to muscle their way in to a market by paying for exclusives, locking games out of other platforms
- Further to that, paying for games that have already been promised on other platforms, only for them to be pulled before launch and become more 'epic exclusives'.

Epic just rub me up the wrong way. The tencent connections are an issue for me but the exclusives even more so. Incidentally, google are doing the same thing with stadia and keeping games off the xbox and playstation. It's pretty underhanded and honestly quite ******. I've no inclination to support that kind of shady business. If you want an example of a launcher done right, look no further than GOG galaxy and especially 2.0.

Soldato

Tencent has a minority stake in Epic.

It also has a minority stake in :

Discord
Bluehole (PUBG)
Ubisoft
Activision Blizzard
Grinding Gear Games (PoE)
Supercell
Frontier Developments (Elite Dangerous etc)
Kakao (Black Desert Online)
Paradox Interactive
Fatshark (Vermintide)
Funcom (Conan Exiles)

Just so everyone knows which software to add to their boycott list :p

Caporegime
Well it's not got the same functionality as Steam for starters. But the one thing that gets on my moobs at the moment is when you move games from SSD to HDD or vice versa. The launcher doesn't recognize a changed game folder so you have to redownload the game again.

Soldato
Tencent has a minority stake in Epic.

It also has a minority stake in :

Discord
Bluehole (PUBG)
Ubisoft
Activision Blizzard
Grinding Gear Games (PoE)
Supercell
Frontier Developments (Elite Dangerous etc)
Kakao (Black Desert Online)
Paradox Interactive
Fatshark (Vermintide)
Funcom (Conan Exiles)

Just so everyone knows which software to add to their boycott list :p

Minority perhaps, but it was still a 40%, $330m stake in Epic. Compare that to the 5% stake they have in ubisoft, which cannot be increased and gives them no voting power. It's a bit different!

Soldato
Minority perhaps, but it was still a 40%, $330m stake in Epic. Compare that to the 5% stake they have in ubisoft, which cannot be increased and gives them no voting power. It's a bit different!

So what % of ownership is the level at which the moral outrage at Tencent becomes unacceptable? Surely if people are principled, they should avoid all companies funded by Tencent, including Discord.

Soldato
For everyone complaining about having to use yet another launcher, check out Playnite. This pulls all your games from Steam, Epic, and others into one easy to use launcher. It also has a big screen mode you navigate with a control pad. I’m not keen on Epic either but Playnite eases the pain of having to mess about with more than one launcher.

Back
Top Bottom