What’s your favourite toast topping?

Caporegime
I rarely eat toast these days, but I used to like either butter with marmite or a nut butter like almond butter,
or if wanting something sweet, then butter with jam or marmalade.

Speaking of unusual combinations, many a year ago, I used to like having cheese and jam on the odd occasion.

Soldato
I rarely eat toast these days, but I used to like either butter with marmite or a nut butter like almond butter,
or if wanting something sweet, then butter with jam or marmalade.

Speaking of unusual combinations, many a year ago, I used to like having cheese and jam on the odd occasion.

Cheese and jam or some sort of sweet chutney is a classic combo.

Brie on crackers with a smidgen of dark cherry conserve is a match made in heaven, for example.

Soldato
Peanut butter is increasingly my favourite. Would have said marmalade a couple of years ago.

Even more shockingly I’m getting into peanut butter and raspberry jam in combination. So good on toasted sourdough.

Soldato
So many good varied selections on this thread. I’ve realised since moving out of my parents with my partner I have eaten much less toast and less toast meals, we
might need a new thread about the correct colour of toast as well! my diet is probably much better now! Beans on toast is banned here :( thankfully with a baby who is growing up maybe I have an excuse to make it for myself as well!

So my most comfortable satisfying favourite is very simple. Just some poached eggs, salt and pepper on hot buttered white toasty!

My absolute favourite is a bread pizza as per secondary school cooking but improved with good homemade slightly thick cut bread! So toast one side well, the otherwise only a little. Spread ketchup on the lighter side to cover as it soaked in a little, the top with a good covering of grated mature cheddar and finally a sprinkling oregano! My wife does a more complex alternative from Poland called a zapiekanka but I don’t regard this as toast as it is all on a big long half baguette.

As for toast and butter my favourite way takes time. I like the toast to be crispy with the butter sat on the surface more. So you have to toast your bread well but not burnt and then let it go cool. It seems weird but tastes great but most of the time with toast I am generally after a warmer snack!

Caporegime
OP
Ok, time for a follow up question, which of these is your perfect toast? I think 5 for me

cdx7ZMa.jpeg

Soldato
8 for me, but 3 or 5 would also be acceptable

The numbers don't seem to corelate in a linear fashion with how 'well done' the toast is.

So it's probably an 8 for me, but a close second would be 3 or a 6.

5 is very much getting toward over done, IMO.

What you want is an even toasting rather than blackened edges with an un-toasted middle.

Back
Top Bottom