When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
200 tonnes of fuel to a FL370 then land 3 hrs later is likely to have that effect. The primary payload of aircraft mass at take off is fuel aswell.

In other news a submarine is much more efficient to get to its operating depth as it sinks.
Kthxbye

Caporegime
In true not really understand but posting anyway I used Google and seems a 747 uses 10% of its fuel for take off. Obviously depends if it’s flying for 1h or 12hrs as to how many % it is. Much like a car.

Seems like London to hong kong only 4% is used for take off. Where did you get this 50% from?

Back to a car the % used to get to 70 will be higher on a drag strip quarter mile than a 200 mile motorway trip …

Not really sure why you have gone down this route tbh

I didn't say a 737. Did I?

Caporegime
No, what its highlighted is the link you've completely failed to make. Jonny touched on it though.
Airframe ? Sorry where are we going on this 700mph 500 ton plane comparison to 70mph with a 2 ton car. The point you made was irrelevant to a car range/efficiency and now you have gone off on some tangent. Are you a politician ?

My point was that at 70mph the tech of a car is largely irrelevant when the drag/efficency of 70mph is mainly driven by the shape of the car (gearing too for motor efficiency but as we know, most cars are optimised for WLTP). Not sure a A380 can do a WLTP cycle yet though.

You jumped in with comment about getting to 70mph being some how important in this metric of a 2ton generic EV (F=ma)

Last edited:
Soldato
Airframe ? Sorry where are we going on this 700mph 500 ton plane comparison to 70mph with a 2 ton car. The point you made was irrelevant to a car range/efficiency and now you have gone off on some tangent. Are you a politician ?
Gatwick to Stansted if the take off fuel percentage is to be believed :p

Associate
Early commute to work in Kona, normal mode, zero regen (and I dislike paddle braking), reached peak 4.7 miles per kW, until the final corner up a hill damn 4.6 miles per kW, nearly crashed getting obsessed with how far I can roll my car. 4.4 miles per kW on the way home. I'm getting it serviced for what I think might be tyre noise, just for peace of mind, probably wouldn't hear in an ICE car. If everything is ok I might get new tyres anyway! Michelin Primacy 4215/55R17 98W XL A/A/68db. nuts to snow grip :)

Last edited:
Associate
Insurance renewal came through for this year

£500 for the Born
£800 for the I-Pace

Less than I feared, more than I hoped...
Who are those quotes with? Cheapest I could get for the I-Pace was £847 with Admiral. Direct line and others wanted about £1700 or more!

Soldato
Damn.... Insurance is getting silly. My salary sacrifice may need to continue..the wife is a newish driver so it's expensive anyway. At those prices I pay a bit extra and get a car lol.

Soldato
Who are those quotes with? Cheapest I could get for the I-Pace was £847 with Admiral. Direct line and others wanted about £1700 or more!
It’s our renewal quote from Admiral

I got a few comparison quotes and they were by far the cheapest for the I Pace but a bit more expensive on the Born. Might give them a call to try and knock a few quid off but on aggregate they are still the cheapest

Associate
It’s our renewal quote from Admiral

I got a few comparison quotes and they were by far the cheapest for the I Pace but a bit more expensive on the Born. Might give them a call to try and knock a few quid off but on aggregate they are still the cheapest
Thanks for confirming it's Admiral. They did seem the cheapest but they don't seem to quote when you've already got a policy with them, from what I can see.

I'm not sure how I'll be able to haggle down the price next year if Admiral don't quote (or maybe they will when the policy is expiring) and others are coming in significantly higher.

Edit: But that's next years problem! :D

Last edited:

Av8

Av8

Associate
Well, my time has come along to jump onto the Electric car journey. Only last week had an accident where a taxi pulled out of a side road and drove right into my drivers side rear door/rear wing and wheel/tyre took the brunt of the impact, so already insurance saying it's a write off so now without a car apart from a courtesy car.

So have been researching electric cars for a replacement for both myself and wife to use with reasonable insurance, was looking at the Subaru Solterra, insurance just not feasible at £90pm. I have ordered a Hyundai Kona Electric 64kWh 150kw premium, so as this will be my first car for this venture into electric looking forward to getting it. Taking the car for 3 years, then I'll look at a different car I think. Thinking this will be a good car to start off with. Fingers crossed.

(now looking at various options for home ev chargers, and tariffs and have got offer of 6000 free miles with Ovo then go on to their ev charger tariff) :)

Soldato
hard to go wrong with the Kona, particularly the new one which is a bit bigger.

Most people use Octopus Intelligent go here as it generally works out cheaper.

With Ovo and others the cheap electric if for your car only where as with Octopus it’s for your whole house.

That said ‘6000 miles’ (that does this translate to in KWh?) is a hard offer to beat at the moment. Take it for a year and then switch elsewhere.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Ohm and Wallbox are compatible with Ovo and Octopus smart tariffs. Check their website and pick a charger compatible with both.

If you have solar, consider if you also need a charger that can divert excess solar to the grid. That said, if you are not on a feed in tariff, you are normally better off exporting excess to the grid as you can get paid 15p for it vs paying 7-7,5p to charge over night.

Reactions: Av8
Soldato
Another reason not to bother buying an electric plane then :rolleyes:
in pure Baldrick logic....... I have a cunning plan!.

for short range flights planes need a removable battery.... if take off uses a large percentage of the battery then the plane takes off with a comparatively large battery, once it gets up to height using the large battery the battery is released and dropped out..... it has a parachute and some small propellers to guide it to a landing site.

the plane then continues on with its much smaller battery which can then regen when the plane comes into land and reduces height and speed.

genius! :D

(or perhaps not)

(or blimps! i would love to see blimps / zepalins make a comeback)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom