When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
1 thing which still impresses me (and it's a car with regen thing not just full EVs) is just how effective regen braking is.

obviously it's not perfect, there is still some energy loss and extra wind resistance etc

but even if I drive a bit enthusiastically on the way to work, once i scrub the speed off most of the extra energy used gets recycled.

even on my most boy racer days I am not that much of an idiot.... but the difference between my driving carefully Vs having some fast and furious moments on the work run, bringing my eco driving score down from 99% to under 70%
according to the car my average energy use is only dropped by 0.1 - 0.2 miles per kWh.

Last edited:
Soldato
1 thing which still impresses me (and it's a car with regen thing not just full EVs) is just how effective regen braking is.

obviously it's not perfect, there is still some energy loss and extra wind resistance etc

but even if I drive a bit enthusiastically on the way to work, once i scrub the speed off most of the extra energy used gets recycled.

even on my most boy racer days I am not that much of an idiot.... but the difference between my driving carefully Vs having some fast and furious moments on the work run, bringing my eco driving score down from 99% to under 70%
according to the car my average energy use is only dropped by 0.1 - 0.2 miles per kWh.
Even with Tesla's strong regen, I wish for more. Although spend a while in an ICE car and when you go back it feels like the handbtis on.

Soldato
nice. I like the lighter interior.. sadly the Mrs vetoed it in ours.

if you get the wireless android auto working can you pm me if you had to do anything funky to get it to work . i cant get it to work on mine

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bear in mind 250 miles WLTP and 100kw charging is a bit average. What’s the pricing the website didn’t mention it at a glance.

You are looking at a slightly underwhelming 170 miles real world range in the winter which i could cope with if the charging was fast, but it isn’t.

The EX30 is just short of 300miles on the WLTP which is really where you should be aiming if it’s to be a primary car. If you like the Volvo also look at the Smart #1 - same car, different skin.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bear in mind 250 miles WLTP and 100kw charging is a bit average.

You are looking at a slightly underwhelming 170 miles real world range in the winter which i could cope with if the charging was fast, but it isn’t.

The EX30 is just short of 300miles on the WLTP which is really where you should be aiming if it’s to be a primary car. If you like the Volvo also look at the Smart #1 - same car, different skin.
I much prefer the interior and look of the Smart #1. Both are nice though.

Associate
We picked up an MG4 Trophy LR just before Xmas. It's surprised us just how nice to drive it is. There are some bugbears, like the dodgy Carplay connection, but overall it's done nothing but impress. Been on a few long runs with it, easily gets us down to the South Coast and back on a single charge.

Soldato
milano might be more of the light weight fwd (mechanical diff) hot hatch handling territory than ex30/smart ... and, parts built in europe.;
... new stelveo update, it's body lines, up there with i-pace .. will his i-pace fit in the garage.

Soldato
. will his i-pace fit in the garage.
will any car fit in a standard sized uk garage?

i know my Peugeot 306 from 1993 didnt and that was a far smaller car than most these days. (actually it did fit in, so long as you didnt want to open the doors afterwards).

only person i know who drives their car into their single garage near me and gets out of it, have a 20+ year old 5 door fiesta.

one other person pushes and pulls their car in and out of the garage. not sure that is viable with an automatic however.

Last edited:
Soldato
will any car fit in a standard sized uk garage?

i know my Peugeot 306 from 1993 didnt and that was a far smaller car than most these days. (actually it did fit in, so long as you didnt want to open the doors afterwards).

only person i know who drives their car into their single garage near me and gets out of it, have a 20+ year old 5 door fiesta.

one other person pushes and pulls their car in and out of the garage. not sure that is viable with an automatic however.
ChrisD parks an M4 in his new build garage

I stopped putting my Fiesta in the garage for a few reasons - when it was wet, it dried out quicker outside, and the insurance was cheaper.

Soldato
ChrisD parks an M4 in his new build garage

I stopped putting my Fiesta in the garage for a few reasons - when it was wet, it dried out quicker outside, and the insurance was cheaper.
either modern garages have increased in size or it must be a double. Zero chance you would have gotten it in mine (lovely car none the less!). if you are wanting to put an ev in a garage then I would probably be looking at something like a honda E (overpriced and under ranged however imo ) or (maybe) the renault 5 - tho even that i think has grown a bit since the one from my childhood (not seen one in the flesh yet)

(maybe that is finally an actual practical use for the remote control autopark thingie that teslas have..... You can get them to park themselves from the app so no need to open the door when in the garage.)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
either modern garages have increased in size or it must be a double

They've increased in size - it's been a number of years, perhaps even decades or more, since houses with garages were provided with garages of a size you couldn't put a car in. Most houses we viewed that were built between about 1985 and 2000 had garages which, as you say, were too small for using for cars but not much since then.

Most new build single garages now measure about 3 metres x 6 metres, which is easily enough for any modern car (Though you'd then lose the ability to store much else in the garage).

It's probably something to do with the planning requirements that mandate a certain volume of things like car parking spaces, cycle storage etc and it's easier to make the garage large enough that it counts towards some of those requirements than it is to provide additional parking at the front (Even though despite this most people still don't use them and instead just park on the pavement).

Back
Top Bottom