When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I can get a 2023 Nissan leaf with 5000km driven for 14.5k. Is it a good deal?
for a uk spec car presumably still under warranty seems decent to me so long as no issues. Just be aware it is chademo DC charging - which may not be an issue but just keep in mind so we dont have to read another article in the daily express about how a new EV driver got a new car that they were unable to plug into 80% of fast chargers ;)

edit.
I just noticed you said km in which case i have no idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw the new Ford Explorer at the Mustang 60th event on the weekend, actually looked quite nice, considering its based on the MEB platform, the infotainment looks massively better than the VW offerings, and the size is about right for a family, not stupidly big..

No test drives allowed when I got there, just Mach-E's which the Mrs actually liked, especially in matching Lucid/Rapid Red to my Mustang.

Last edited:
Soldato
Car was delivered on Thursday and Wallbox installation same day. Loving the looks of it, need to adjust to a smaller boot; coming from an estate. Lovely cream interior and blue exterior. The instant power is very fun, any tips for the I-Pace in general?
Actually i do have 1 tip that i wish someone had told me about.

in the sat nav go into the settings (not sure where off top of my head) there is a setting to limit route for towing caravan. Turn this on!!!

my ipace was bordering on immaculate when i got it, after driving for 2 weeks the satnav took me down a lane. I knew it looked dodgy before going down and the name should have given it away (i think it was Devils lane or Devils road).

it was horrendous and got steadily worse with a really tight bend with a shear wall with a big rock sticking out that i did not want to reverse back up incase i went into someone following me.

not only was it single lane, it was over grown to hell with branches and brambles going right accross the road and scratched both sides of my car, i had to pull brambles out of the joins between the bumper and my bodywork. my lad in the back was scared to death because of all the alarms going off.....

so yeah turn on caravan towing in the sat nav and never go down Devils road (or lane!)

Last edited:
Soldato
I can get a 2023 Nissan leaf with 5000km driven for 14.5k thought there were multiple 2nd hand id3's in the £15K slot, and the new powertrain should further reduce 2nd hand prices.

Tesla redundancies - uk media mostly attributing to chinese competition, maybe chinese competition in china, but, more like the likes of pesky vw in europe
ursula's investigation into chinese ev dumping will likely reduce cinese eu imports too, and, in the usa, well china hasn't got a foothold with the IRA - still, should be some tesla good deals.
Surplus tesla battery production capacity will be expensive, the downside of vertical integration, does anyone use that battery.

The lost UK giga factory - did we really have sufficient domestic manufacturer demand to justify it, anyway ? some for storage, but would exports have been subject to punitive rules of origin,
if we didn't have the associate lithium processing.

Soldato
Sounds an expensive way to heat a house
Heat pump ;)

The running costs should be comparable to a well set up modern gas boiler when paying the price cap for electricity. The cost to install was lower than replacing my 20 year old gas system thanks to grants.

With my solar and battery storage set up, my energy supplier is paying me for at least 6 months of the year.

You’ve got to take advantage while the sun is shining and there is good incentives flying around. It’s why we are all on the BiK gravy train right?

Caporegime
How well insulated is the house. What outlet temp is the heat pump. Assume you keeping same rads?

Anyway yes with solar and battery great for a long term. Agile would be even better right now too

Soldato
Agile it’s looking great at the moment, I’m just a bit lazy to manage it to get the most out of it so I’ll probably stick with IoG which is close enough, although Eon has slightly better rates at the moment.

In terms of insulation it’s good but not the best. The house is 20 years old so has cavity wall insulation although it is not the thickness. It has plastic microbore so it’s not the most ideal install so there is a balance to be struck - mainly on flow temp.

The system is designed up to 50C which is pretty normal for a retrofit, particularly with microbore.

Most of the main radiators have been changed as part of the cost to install with new TRVs, not that you rely on them when using weather compensation. The rads which were replaced are bigger but haven’t got that much bigger. They were originally sized for a house with 100mm loft insulation and a 65c flow temp, I’ve now got 250mm. Most of them are just slightly taller and wider one went from a single to a double.

The cost to me (£3.5k) also included converting my vented setup into an unvented set up. My existing system was a combined boiler (~16kw) and heat store (Powermax Range 155X) with a plate heat exchanger for mains pressure hot water. They don’t make systems like that anymore and the cost to go gas again with a system boiler and un-vented cylinder (equivalent replacement) would have been a lot more. A combi would have been a similar cost but not in terms of capability (mains pressure hot water).

In terms of insulation, it’s relevant but only in regards to the size of the heat pump and radiators (and associated pipework). The less you have (the greater the heat loss), the bigger the rads and heat pump you need. That’s not really any different to a gas system. Even on gas, ideally you should be aiming for a lower flow temp to get the most out of a condensing boiler.

I’ll do a full write up for the heat pump thread in due course.

Soldato
Interested, Link?

Unfortunately it degrades into a similar conversation you get in this thread at times. If you are interested, have a look at the heat geek you tube channel and website for background information.

Even ‘skill builder’ has put out a lot of informative heat pump videos recently. These are mostly in collaboration with heat geek after they had a bit of internet beef following a badly informed opinion video they put out.

Mines being installed by Octopus and a few people have but videos out documenting the process (Speak to the Geek comes to mind). The Octopus install will be designed to 50C so it will have a lower SCOP than say one designed to 40C but the latter would be a more expensive install. You pay your money and make your choice and all that.

Edit: I’ve seen people getting quotes for as little as £500 from Octopus.

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually i do have 1 tip that i wish someone had told me about.

in the sat nav go into the settings (not sure where off top of my head) there is a setting to limit route for towing caravan. Turn this on!!!

my ipace was bordering on immaculate when i got it, after driving for 2 weeks the satnav took me down a lane. I knew it looked dodgy before going down and the name should have given it away (i think it was Devils lane or Devils road).

it was horrendous and got steadily worse with a really tight bend with a shear wall with a big rock sticking out that i did not want to reverse back up incase i went into someone following me.

not only was it single lane, it was over grown to hell with branches and brambles going right accross the road and scratched both sides of my car, i had to pull brambles out of the joins between the bumper and my bodywork. my lad in the back was scared to death because of all the alarms going off.....

so yeah turn on caravan towing in the sat nav and never go down Devils road (or lane!)

I posted this very tip somewhere after getting guidance down a very narrow lane. Another tip is to remember to turn off timed charging in the charging settings if you plan to use DC. The timed charging prevents DC charging, which is rather idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom