When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
@[TW]Fox will be pleased, it seems he will be able to get an all electric BMW 5 series around 2023.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/5...23-bmw-5-series-feature-all-electric-i5-model

Progress is sloooowww from many of the conventional car companies. 2023? 11 years after the Model S? It still seems to me like they don’t really want to move on from the combustion engine. They only seem to be in electric to
bring down fleet average emissions. Just wonder what the effect on market share will be if they don’t pull their finger out.

Soldato
Got back from my Wales trip which put my M3 SR+ to the test, and it was great. Going we charged at Bridgend (Sarn) Supercharger for 18 mins - no longer than it took us to get coffee, snacks, toilet etc - which gave me some safe juice at the destination. Arrived on 39% but then had to fanny about getting food, a replacement invertor for the camp bed etc, none of which was close and another hour of driving in total took us down to 18%.

Charged overnight on a 3-pin plug at the campsite owner's farm as planned, 15h to get back to 80%, was done by the very early hours. Full day out to Tenby, Barafundle Bay etc. Charged in Tenby for a £1.07, and unfortunately the charger at the beach car park - National Trust - was ICE'd, but hardly surprising given people were straddling verges and blocking access left right and centre etc. Didn't matter in any case.

Didn't charge that night and got back to Bridgend on 8%, got up to 63% in 18 minutes - again, just a toilet, coffee and pastry stop. Impromptu stopped at Cardiff for lunch and charged for free at St David's Centre (Tesla Destination) back up to 90% (may as well if it's free!). Got back to Bristol on 65%.

Total of 360 miles for £1.07 which was the brief 8% charge in Tenby.

While still very cheap superchargers aren't free so it will be a bit more that that surely?

Good to see you have a decent trip without any issues though.

Progress is sloooowww from many of the conventional car companies. 2023? 11 years after the Model S? It still seems to me like they don’t really want to move on from the combustion engine. They only seem to be in electric to
bring down fleet average emissions. Just wonder what the effect on market share will be if they don’t pull their finger out.

They dont, well they do, but when they are ready
Its no surprise think of all the investment they have into ICE engines and factories producing them
VAG seem to be slightly head in progress but they still feel like ICE cars made EV

It will come but the more they lag the more they will allow new entrants and when inevitable consolidation happens I dont think anyone will be safe. Teslas current valuation shows that the unthinkable of someone buying Audi or toyota etc is actually feasible now

Soldato
Ah fair play i forgot you get those. That's ideal as you'd probably not use superchargers a great deal normally so on the occasional long trips that's a real bonus.

Yeah, though they do have an expiry annoyingly and due to lockdown I'll probably have some left when they do, which is why I'm using them more than I need to. I've still got 251kWh (equiv of 628 miles) remaining.

For the trip above I used 41kWh at Superchargers, so normal/full cost would be £10.25, but in reality if I was paying I wouldn't have used as much as I did because I didn't need to.

Soldato
Has Tesla modified/evolved their supercharger prices, relative to other chargers, or have they not felt much competition yet,
the equation of, what, easy access fast charging is worth versus, others, is an interesting one,
even, to have, variable charging(e:cost) depending on demand/time-of-day.

Soldato
I don't think so, they're all still 25p (or currency equivilant) which I believe they've always been. I can't see them putting the prices up as it's an incentive to buy a Tesla which is far more valuable.

There's people over on the Tesla forums who have driven from the UK to Croatia and used nothing but Tesla Superchargers, for example:

MBLa3HY.jpg

They are incredibly well placed and thought-out and yeah, the charging speeds make stops no longer than a regular service station pit stop. And at somewhere like Bridgend, I think there were 12 Superchargers, whereas there was 2 Ecotricity chargers.

I don't think so, they're all still 25p (or currency equivilant) which I believe they've always been. I can't see them putting the prices up as it's an incentive to buy a Tesla which is far more valuable.

There's people over on the Tesla forums who have driven from the UK to Croatia and used nothing but Tesla Superchargers, for example:

MBLa3HY.jpg

They are incredibly well placed and thought-out and yeah, the charging speeds make stops no longer than a regular service station pit stop. And at somewhere like Bridgend, I think there were 12 Superchargers, whereas there was 2 Ecotricity chargers.

I bet they still suffer range anxiety vs say a 50,000 mile range, 0.35 nano second refuel you can do in a 5 series ;)

Soldato
That is a tedious amount of stops :D

Just stop. We get it. You don't want an EV.

Only for some earlier Model S (and maybe X?) cars, the M3 (and more recent S/X models) dont include it.

Yeah it was a very early incentive. The earliest were tied to the car, so you may see some used cars that boast free unlimited charging. I believe the second wave were tied to the owner.

In any case they also changed the FUP to prevent people using them as their local/home charger, for commercial purposes (taxis etc), or basically taking the ****.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yeah it was a very early incentive. The earliest were tied to the car, so you may see some used cars that boast free unlimited charging. I believe the second wave were tied to the owner.

In any case they also changed the FUP to prevent people using them as their local/home charger, for commercial purpuses (taxis etc), or basically taking the ****.

Yep, i was looking at ~2015 (early facelift) Model S cars (used) when i was doing high mileage pre covid. The mileage meant that the maths worked against my usual diesel even when charging at 11p/KWH at home at normal rate (which to be honest, i would always do, i'd never optionally stop at a services even if it saved me money).

These cars were on the cusp of not having it tied to the car. I'd guess 2016MY was the cut off.

Back
Top Bottom