When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Indeed, My house uses 11-14kWh a day then EV in 5 hours i shoves in 35kWh @5.5p. Obviously not everynight, but nice the dishwasher etc is far more manageable on Go Faster as off peak starts 8:30pm. My off is 13.4p

Taycan CrossTourismo about the only one? Model S technically is a hatch and P100D exceeds that.

Who are you with please?

Soldato
Go into the energy switching thread, 25p/day+15p/KWH isnt particularly cheap. This is regional, but the lowest in Oxfordshire for example are around 12p/day+12p/KWH.

Wholesale prices have gone up loads this year so if that 12p tariff isn't a fix it'll soon be a fair bit more.

If you do a fair few miles and your house consumption isn't too insane Octopus Go is probably the best bet - my mum does about 1,000 miles a month and her average unit rate on Octopus Go has been about 8.5p (about 60% of her usage is at the 5p rate) so there's no way even the cheapest flat rate tariff would beat that.

Soldato
Getting on for one month in and a little over 500 miles and utterly loving the Kona. Just so pleasant to drive on my commute and in general, especially with the re-gen options at your fingertips.

Current "long term" average efficiency is sat at 5.3m/kWh which seems pretty good considering the mix of A road, dual carriage way and hills both ways. So far the Guess o Meter seems to be dropping 1 mile for every 1 mile driven which is nice. Obviously expecting a drop in efficiency in the winter but can't complain with it right now.

Only oddity I have been having is the Hyundai Bluelink App telling via notification that my request to turn the AC on has failed yet I can clearly tell the AC is on... (and the app states as much when refreshing the status). It also throws a hissy fit at me if I dare to walk to the back of the garage without locking the doors.. (Yes I know the car isn't locked, the sodding boot is open as I am putting something in it!).

Can easily live with minor niggles such as that (turning off the notifications is also an option) when the rest of the experience is so positive.

Only issue now is when I drive the ST it feels like going back in time. It has this weird noisy thing up front and an odd stick in the middle of the seats that makes a crunching sound when I move it without depressing the third pedal with my left foot of all things... what is with that?! Jesting of course, but I had forgotten how loud and frantic it is when driving the same local roads. Quickly forget about it mind when corners show up and I get to play with 2nd and 3rd gear properly. :p

Now just waiting on the Smart meter install to enable Octopus Go and then get a home charger installed (The Hypervolt one does look very smart I must say).

Associate
Getting on for one month in and a little over 500 miles and utterly loving the Kona. Just so pleasant to drive on my commute and in general, especially with the re-gen options at your fingertips.

Current "long term" average efficiency is sat at 5.3m/kWh which seems pretty good considering the mix of A road, dual carriage way and hills both ways. So far the Guess o Meter seems to be dropping 1 mile for every 1 mile driven which is nice. Obviously expecting a drop in efficiency in the winter but can't complain with it right now.

Only oddity I have been having is the Hyundai Bluelink App telling via notification that my request to turn the AC on has failed yet I can clearly tell the AC is on... (and the app states as much when refreshing the status). It also throws a hissy fit at me if I dare to walk to the back of the garage without locking the doors.. (Yes I know the car isn't locked, the sodding boot is open as I am putting something in it!).

Can easily live with minor niggles such as that (turning off the notifications is also an option) when the rest of the experience is so positive.

Only issue now is when I drive the ST it feels like going back in time. It has this weird noisy thing up front and an odd stick in the middle of the seats that makes a crunching sound when I move it without depressing the third pedal with my left foot of all things... what is with that?! Jesting of course, but I had forgotten how loud and frantic it is when driving the same local roads. Quickly forget about it mind when corners show up and I get to play with 2nd and 3rd gear properly. :p

Now just waiting on the Smart meter install to enable Octopus Go and then get a home charger installed (The Hypervolt one does look very smart I must say).

5.3m/kWh is excellent! You must have an incredibly gentle right foot!

Soldato
I'm excited for my next car to be an EV, and I'm sure it will be an EV, however, just as a high-level question... are you all doing this just to have an EV?

I'm looking over the figures and it certainly makes EVs the more expensive option at the moment, and that's even before the government find some way to start taxing your electrons to replace fuel duty lost. With cars being £10k+ over the cost of ICE versions, it seems it'll take an awful lot of miles and years to breakeven. Don't get me wrong, I'll be going into the purchase eyes wide open about the higher costs, I'm just wondering if everyone else has been fully aware of that or they've just gone for the "£12 to fill the tank" headline? Have you all worked out figures to see when (or even if) you'll breakeven?

Associate
I think there is an element of that for some particularly as there is an ev premium at the moment.

I was reading an article earlier suggestions that the falling price of batteries will mean the cross over point of ev price and fossil fuel price equivalence is projected to be about 2026 to 2028.

at that stage it’s a bit of a no brainier for me.

Soldato
I'm excited for my next car to be an EV, and I'm sure it will be an EV, however, just as a high-level question... are you all doing this just to have an EV?

I'm looking over the figures and it certainly makes EVs the more expensive option at the moment, and that's even before the government find some way to start taxing your electrons to replace fuel duty lost. With cars being £10k+ over the cost of ICE versions, it seems it'll take an awful lot of miles and years to breakeven. Don't get me wrong, I'll be going into the purchase eyes wide open about the higher costs, I'm just wondering if everyone else has been fully aware of that or they've just gone for the "£12 to fill the tank" headline? Have you all worked out figures to see when (or even if) you'll breakeven?

The way to own an EV is to lease I believe at the minute. That's how I worked out using man maths anyway.

We wanted an EV regardless but when you consider 10,000 per year would normally cost around £1300-£1400 in diesel, we can. We can do the equivalent for £100-£150 in the electric.

The cost saving in fuel alone can go a long way towards the monthly lease cost.

Caporegime
The way to own an EV is to lease I believe at the minute. That's how I worked out using man maths anyway.

We wanted an EV regardless but when you consider 10,000 per year would normally cost around £1300-£1400 in diesel, we can. We can do the equivalent for £100-£150 in the electric.

Except looking at the residual values of EV cars currently you would be much better off to own one. I mean look at the prices second hand Tesla's are making. And some lease prices dont seem to reflect this and are carrying too low a of residual. I looked a Taycan. Based on the lease cost they were assuming it would be only worth £30k after 3 years when it cost £80k new. No way can i see a Taycan losing £50k if you bought and owned it.

But thats now and the issue might be what second hand EVs are worth in another 3 years........aged old dilemma of what your crystal ball is like.

Soldato

I dunno about the £10k figure

Here's 2 very comparable anonymous estates with around 160hp, auto and a 7 year warranty.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202107165115836

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202106193983731

Neither are a premium brand or anything fancy, they're both just 'cars' but one happens to be electric and the other petrol. They're both the cheapest 'new' ones i could find on Autotrader without having to be a key worker as MG are doing discounts if you're one of them.

I think a lot of manufactures are charging more simply because they can as the market is so small at the moment, but when someone like MG comes in who are actually interested in selling EV's all of a sudden they can price them very competitively against the competition.

Soldato

It's not as black and white as that, but if you want certainty of cost it is the way to go. For me it has worked out really well, and I'll have spent less in two years leasing than the car lost in one. However we also bought a Nissan Leaf a good while ago for a family member, and buying that used was the best choice we could have made, the value went up not down and that was with a lot of miles added.

This can be true of buying, or leasing, or HP etc. Those coming from a low MPG ICE car to an EV that is charged mainly at home, with a half decent mpkWh average will save a good deal of money if they are covering even just 8k miles per year, pootling around town etc. (which is the worst for ICE and best for BEV).

Soldato
their depreciation/RV is definitely variable at the moment - 10 May report update on an earlier post

The average value retention of BEVs after 36 months and 60,000 kilometres has risen considerably since February 2021, climbing by about 10 percentage points (pp) to 47%. Further investigation reveals that this phenomenon has been driven by RV% growth in the C-segment, where the RV% of BEVs stands at 46.4% in May, compared to 35.3% in February. Similarly, the RV% of BEVs offered by brands such as Jaguar, Renault, Tesla and Volkswagen, has remained broadly stable but Nissan BEVs climbed from 37.6% in March to 46.2% in May.

Nissan Leaf drives the UK

These significant improvements are a direct result of the arrival of the second-generation Nissan Leaf as a three-year-old used car in the UK market. Furthermore, the Leaf has driven the average RV% of BEVs above that of petrol cars in the UK. This is in stark contrast to other European markets, where BEVs remain at least 10 percentage points adrift of their petrol counterparts.

mmm - seeing a £21K mg5 (2.5K to remove too) wonder what PCP they, now, offer.

Soldato
mmm - seeing a £21K mg5 (2.5K to remove too) wonder what PCP they, now, offer.
If you're seeing £21k I'd expect the £2.5k has already been accounted for.

Crazy value if it suits your driving patterns though

edit: there's also 0% APR on the MG website!

Back
Top Bottom